Non-motoring > Mmm, lovely. Miscellaneous
Thread Author: Crankcase Replies: 9

Mmm, lovely. - Crankcase
We were talking here about processed meat and so on recently. How do we feel about fifty year old ox tongue in a tin?

Oh boy. What a way to make a living.

www.youtube.com/watch?v=PSuUnuohFwY
 Mmm, lovely. - Zero
Pfffttt we cant top that, by some considerable margin

1899-1902 British Emergency Ration Field Service Oldest MRE Beef Eaten Survival Food Review Test

www.youtube.com/watch?v=jZoHuMwZwTk

Mmm, lovely. - CGNorwich
Fresh pressed tongue on the other hand is very tasty.
 Mmm, lovely. - Zero
Quite partial to a bit of cheek myself, ox or pig
 Mmm, lovely. - CGNorwich
Ox cheek makes a nice stew or casserole. Cheap too. Less popular cuts and offal generally are really good value for money. Always amazed at price of liver which actually prefer to steak.
 Mmm, lovely. - Zero
>>Always amazed at price of liver which actually
>> prefer to steak.

People dont know how to prepare or cook it properly.

Slice thinly, and flash fried for 60 seconds each side max. Served with bacon, gravy heavy with sage, and mash. Fantastic meal for two comes in at about £2.
 Mmm, lovely. - CGNorwich
Yes the secret is not to overcook. A fantastic meal for £1 a head. Mind you would enjoy a nice glass of Claret to go with it.
 Mmm, lovely. - Bromptonaut
Agree about quick cooked liver. Best meal on our break in Granada last March was exactly that.

I'm also partial to kidneys and do a mean winter warmer stew of lambs hearts and root veg.
 Mmm, lovely. - Bobby
love chicken liver - in fact I have a great recipe for chicken liver pate which is easy to make but delicious.

Its actually also very nice done in the slow cooker
 Mmm, lovely. - bathtub tom
Back in the '70s I used to walk pass a butchers on the way to work. One Summer they had a whole ox tongue laid out on the marble inside the window. It was there before they opened and still there after they closed. I presume it was never put in cold store.
For weeks I watched it slowly turn a shade of green as it shrivelled.
Never been able to eat tongue since.
Latest Forum Posts