Non-motoring > Cod Fish allergy Miscellaneous
Thread Author: Bobby Replies: 7

Cod Fish allergy - Bobby
When I was a youngster, I was always believed to be allergic to fish (except tuna) and when family had fish, I got something else.

When I was at the age of going to pubs I got jealous of friends having a fish (haddock) supper on way home, finally plucked up the courage to try one and was totally fine.

Since then I have tried everything from haddock to salmon, prawns, oyster, prawn, lobster, plaice, whiting, mussels.

But I still cannot eat cod. It brings my mouth out in lumps and really itchy tongue and lips.

Looking online it seems to be in same family as many of the fish above but it obviously has something I am allergic to. What makes it different to the others?

Prompted to ask as my son has just realised he is in the same boat (pardon the pun)
 Cod Fish allergy - No FM2R
This doesn't really answer your question but it does have a lot more information you may find interesting or useful.

research.bmh.manchester.ac.uk/informall/allergenic-food/index.aspx?FoodId=5005
 Cod Fish allergy - Haywain
"But I still cannot eat cod. It brings my mouth out in lumps and really itchy tongue and lips."

That's interesting. Several years ago, I shared a lift to watch Cambridge Utd v Grimsby FC with a Grimsby chap, now exiled to Suffolk. We were discussing fish - catching them and eating them. He was saying that if you ask for a 'fish supper' in Grimsby, you are automatically given Haddock. Apparently, the locals (who know more than most about fish) regard Cod as a dirty fish because it is a 'bottom feeder', so it presumably eats all sorts of detritus that it locates on the sea bed.
Could it be that your allergy is not necessarily caused by the cod as such, but rather the rubbish that it's been feeding on?
 Cod Fish allergy - Bobby
Thats interesting Haywain, I had heard the same story but it was regarding mackerel and how they were known as the scavengers of the sea,

I love mackerel though.......
 Cod Fish allergy - CGNorwich
One of those myths. Cod and haddock eat much the same. ,When Atlantic cod first hatch, the fry eat zooplankton and small crustaceans. As they grow, the young fish eat shrimp and small lobsters. Adults eat mainly herring and capelin.

Cod Fish allergy - Haywain
"One of those myths. Cod and haddock eat much the same. ,When Atlantic cod first hatch, the fry eat zooplankton and small crustaceans. As they grow, the young fish eat shrimp and small lobsters. Adults eat mainly herring and capelin."

Are you a keen fisherman, CG?
 Cod Fish allergy - CGNorwich
Back in the seventies I used to fish for codling from Mundesley beach. Cod have all but disappeared now.
 Cod Fish allergy - Fullchat
Having spent most of my life either side of the Humber - Hull and Grimsby areas I concur with the above observation although my take on it was that Cod was full of worms :< Haddock is the fish of choice in these parts. So why we got involved in the Cod Wars, who knows. ?? Sounds better than Haddock Wars I suppose :)

As regards the allergic reaction, I get the same with Brazil nuts but can east most others without issue.

Latest Forum Posts