Non-motoring > Bulbs..(domestic) Miscellaneous
Thread Author: R.P. Replies: 16

Bulbs..(domestic) - R.P.
Tidied up the kitchen cupboard where all the bulbs, candles and batteries live - I knew there was a load of bulbs...across the entire type (Filament, Halogen, fluorescent and LED) and across the entire fitment range amounted to 38 blooming bulbs. All listed now so at least when one blows I'll know what we have off the shelf. The house is pretty much LED apart from various lamps....they're supposed to last forever aren't they ?
Last edited by: R.P. on Tue 28 May 19 at 13:41
 Bulbs..(domestic) - VxFan
Did the same as you last year. Found over 20 filament bulbs in the cupboard, ranging from 60w to 100w. I kept 4 back as spares for the outside lights which are operated by PIRs as while they're still working I can't be bothered changing over to LED security lights.

The rest of the filament bulbs I gave to a colleague who helps maintain an old fun fair which still use the older type of bulbs, of which he was very grateful.

Most of the indoor lights are now LED, apart from the bathroom and hallway light which is an enclosed type of light. The LEDs get way too hot and cannot be used in them. So kept the dozen or so compact fluorescent bulbs that had been sent to us over the years from various energy companies.
 Bulbs..(domestic) - henry k
>>....apart from the bathroom and hallway light which is an enclosed type of light.
I have just started to go LED.
I was not aware of the possible problems with enclosed light fittings.
Bathroom and loo are not in use for long periods ( normally )
I have three bulkhead fittings ( two externally ) so I guess I had better review them.
I had better delay binning the previous bulbs.

Bulbs..(domestic) - smokie
What problems???
>> What problems???

Premature breakdown of the LED bulb (i.e. shortened life) because of the heat generated. As it's an enclosed fitting there isn't enough ventilation to allow the heat sink the LEDs are attached to, to keep cool enough.

Compact fluorescents are bad enough. They only tend to last 1 to 2 years in the fittings. Again because of lack of ventilation, but as I've still got a few left in the cupboard, it's not too much of a problem.

I have looked into replacing the fittings for LED, but as it's rented accommodation, I don't see why I should have to buy them. There is a cheaper alternative, but it involves using possibly sub standard Chinese kits that have poor or no earth connections, as often demonstrated by Big Clive on YouTube.
Last edited by: VxFan on Wed 29 May 19 at 02:20
Ah - now you mention it, I've come across that in a car context where people are replacing the crappy bulbs in the Ampera with LEDs, and some bloke with a 3D printer has printed dust caps which have been modded after discussion about required ventilation. Hadn't connected it to affecting household bulbs though.
 Bulbs..(domestic) - Zero
It only affects the cheaper poorly designed badly made overdriven LED's lamp units.
 Bulbs..(domestic) - Bobby
Surely an LED in an enclosed fitting generates less heat than a filament bulb?
>> Surely an LED in an enclosed fitting generates less heat than a filament bulb?

LED bulbs have many components inside to change the high voltage electricity from your home or building to the lower voltage that the LED chips need to run. Because of this, they are much more sensitive to heat than incandescent or halogen sources.

You can get fully enclosed rated LED bulbs, but they're generally more expensive.

www.earthled.com/blogs/led-lighting-faq-frequently-asked-questions/how-much-heat-is-generated-by-led-light-bulbs

All the LED bulbs I have in our house, (mainly Energizer branded), I can comfortably touch the 'bulb' area, but the area where all the electronics and heat sink are located get scorching hot. it's on par, if not hotter than a filament bulb glass.
 Bulbs..(domestic) - R.P.
I get that Dave. I tend to buy branded bulbs as well
 Bulbs..(domestic) - Zero
>> Surely an LED in an enclosed fitting generates less heat than a filament bulb?

Correct, the watts cant lie, no matter where you choose to stick your finger.
 Bulbs..(domestic) - BiggerBadderDave
"Correct, the watts can't lie..."

Nonsense. Den and Angie were always lying. Mostly to each other.

"...no matter where you choose to stick your finger."

Angie (obvs).
 Bulbs..(domestic) - Zero
Considerably less heat dissipated by a 5 watt led than a 50 watt filament bulb. The giveaway is the watts, or lack of them.
Last edited by: Zero on Tue 28 May 19 at 15:17
 Bulbs..(domestic) - Bobby
so whys that a problem?
 Bulbs..(domestic) - R.P.
We have bathroom specific LED sealed units in our bathroom.
Oh, that. Yes, I got those, showerproof or something - IP65 rated. I was thinking something else might be a problem.
 Bulbs..(domestic) - R.P.
Pooh. Shortly after the audit, I accidentally broke an obscure bulb ( a Phillips Dulux s) in an outside light. At least I knew I didn't have a spare one ! :-)
Latest Forum Posts