Non-motoring > The Moron has landed Miscellaneous
Thread Author: CGNorwich Replies: 26

The Moron has landed - CGNorwich
I was fantasizing that Air Force One might plunge into the Atlantic but it seems he has made it. Actually feel sorry for The Royal Family.
 The Moron has landed - tyrednemotional
....where's those b***** drones when you need 'em.
 The Moron has landed - Zero
Stanstead, he snuck in through the back door.

(yes I know Stanstead is the designated strategic high security airport)
 The Moron has landed - DP
It is pretty much impossible to respect the man, but we should respect the office. It will be there long after this idiot has gone. He's a temporary (thank God) custodian of it, nothing more. I welcome any official visit by the US President - even if it is him.

Putting aside the conspiracy theories around Russian hackers, Trump is the democratically elected leader of our most important ally and trading partner, and one that, thanks to the madness that is Brexit, we need to keep close to more than ever at the moment.

The economic numbers around the UK-US trade situation are staggering. Almost £1 in every £5 worth of goods and services that we export goes to the US, and the UK is both the number one foreign investor in the US, and the number two recipient of US investment, which between them support more than 2.5 million jobs, roughly split across both sides of the Atlantic. No other single country invests more in the UK than the US, and no other single country invests more in the US than the UK.

I am not defending or making excuses for Trump (he is inexcusable), but we need to look at the bigger picture. As a correspondent on the news this morning observed, if the Queen went to the US on an official visit, and was snubbed or told she wasn't welcome, a lot of British people would take that very personally, and wouldn't differentiate between disrespect to the Queen, and disrespect to the British people. Most Americans take a similar personal view on the way their President is received abroad, whether he is their choice, or not. However much the "special" nature of the relationship is open to debate, it is without any shadow of doubt, a critical relationship for this country, and one that will become even more critical in the event of a No Deal Brexit.

Trump might be not be capable of basic decency and diplomacy, but we are better than that. Four more years tops, and he's history. Take a longer view.
Last edited by: DP on Mon 3 Jun 19 at 13:40
 The Moron has landed - No FM2R
>>It is pretty much impossible ---> Tale a longer view.

An excellent post.
>> It is pretty much impossible to respect the man, but we should respect the office.

Correct you should respect the role, its the nearest thing in existence to a world leader, however he does not respect the role, he is and has subverted it for his own ends, so currently its not respected anywhere in the world. And currently nor should it be.
Last edited by: Zero on Mon 3 Jun 19 at 16:40
 The Moron has landed - DP
>> >> It is pretty much impossible to respect the man, but we should respect the
>> office.
>>
>> Correct you should respect the role, its the nearest thing in existence to a world
>> leader, however he does not respect the role, he is and has subverted it for
>> his own ends, so currently its not respected anywhere in the world. And currently nor
>> should it be.
>>

I disagree.

Trump is not respected anywhere in the world, and neither should he be.

The role of American President, especially in the world we live in today, absolutely should be.

The role is bigger than Trump and will go on long after he's gone. The repercussions of disrespecting it could potentially last for a generation if they backfire.

He's a vain narcissist. They are the easiest people in the world to manipulate if you are prepared to swallow a bit of pride.
>> I disagree.

the office of POTUS is tarnished globally, Trump has exposed many holes in the administrative accountability and demonstrated that it is open to abuse, criminality and corruption. The global credibility of the US is damaged, possibly irretrievably.

Ok big business and money may be US based, but big business is now global and has no national base, and that trend will increase.
Last edited by: Zero on Mon 3 Jun 19 at 20:38
Of course the government should extend to the President of the United States the the respect that is due to that office. Equally the citizens and press of this country have a right to express their views of this rather abhorrent individual.

By the way aren’t we stuck with him for a possible five more years or do you know something we don’t ?
 The Moron has landed - Manatee
Absolutely right DP, and I wonder why our home grown idiots such as Corbyn can't see this. To be polite and formally to welcome should be independent of whether we agree with him.

And you are quite right too IMO that American pride in their president, flag etc. is also to a large extent unrelated to which twit holds the office - he is their twit.
 The Moron has landed - henry k
Is this they @@@@@ you are referring too :-(

www.washingtonpost.com/graphics/politics/trump-claims-database/?utm_term=.53c369d1ee62
 The Moron has landed - Dulwich Estate II
We'll soon get our own chance to consider respect for the office over here: Boris or Farage ?
 The Moron has landed - bathtub tom
Oh please, those merkins were stuck between a rock and a hard place with either Chump, or Hilary.
We'll soon have our chance to have ours.
I'm not sure why Hilary was so abhorrent to the yanks (and she was even in democratic circles). Ok she was a bit strident, a bit full of herself, cocky and arrogant but in that way certainly less so than the chump, but would have made a far better custodian of the office of POTUS

And of course our moment will come next election. Boris Buffoon or Commie Corbyn.

How the hell did we end up this sheet creek.
 The Moron has landed - Bromptonaut
>> I'm not sure why Hilary was so abhorrent to the yanks (and she was even
>> in democratic circles).

She wasn't that abhorrent - she won the popular vote but piled up ballots in wrong States so lost in the Electoral College.

It was the e-mail thing and Crooked Hilary meme that did for her.
Last edited by: Bromptonaut on Mon 3 Jun 19 at 20:26
> She wasn't that abhorrent - she won the popular vote but piled up ballots in
>> wrong States so lost in the Electoral College.
>>
>> It was the e-mail thing and Crooked Hilary meme that did for her.

If you listen to Americans ( and I have a fair selection of yank friends to canvas - mostly liberal and democratic leaning to be fair) she was abhorent, not at all popular. Her large poll (in the primaries and the presidential) was solely because of the alternatives on offer.
Last edited by: Zero on Mon 3 Jun 19 at 20:44
 The Moron has landed - Kevin
>If you listen to Americans..

The impression I was given from friends in the US was that Hillary just rubbed people up the wrong way. She was unpopular because or her abrasive personality, arrogance and obvious sense of entitlement.

The Clinton reputation didn't help either.

>> How the hell did we end up this sheet creek.
>>
By abandoning representative democracy and empowering the electorate. Not a good idea.
 The Moron has landed - maltrap
Donald Trump said he was "going to drain the swamp"
Turns out, he was the swamp!
 The Moron has landed - Ambo
Did anyone see the documentary "The Truth about Chlorinated Chicken", on Channel 4 at 8 p.m. on the 3rd June? It was a nasty indication of things (or rather, frozen chickens) to come, in any trade deal with the USA.

Undercover filming of one huge plant showed bits of discarded birds scattered in the preparation area and on the - wet and pitted - floor. Prepared joints in their individual plastic trays were stocked on top of each other while awaiting wrapping, so that any infected material from the tray above would be passed on to the one below. Sweatshop practices were used and it was claimed that toilet time was so closely limited and supervised that workers needed to wear diapers to work, to prevent any threat to their underpaid and precarious work through perceived skiving.

However, a lucky consumer might find a bonus in his pack. It emerged that the industry has the worst record for work amputations. In this case, it was mostly fingers that were lost. The birds themselves had probably had a bad time, even before reaching the factory, as there seems to be no Federal animal welfare legislation, although some individual states have their own.

The scale of the industry leads to a cheaper product. That, and the stringent hygiene and welfare regulations in the UK, mean that many of our farmers could not compete and they and their employees would be out of work.
 The Moron has landed - devonite
Not many folk know that!(to quote a famous catchphrase! ), do you know the comparative food poisoning percentage due to chicken, between here and the U.S by any chance?
I can think of many ways that this 'survey'' is flawed, not least by the contributor self-selection.

Nonetheless it purports to give a top 10....

www.express.co.uk/travel/articles/578590/Spain-is-FOOD-POISONING-capital-of-the-world
 The Moron has landed - sooty123
>> I can think of many ways that this 'survey'' is flawed, not least by the
>> contributor self-selection.
>>
>>

i think there was also alot of fraud around med resorts and fraudulent claims for sickness on holiday.
That's right, I'd forgotten that.

I lived in the US for a long time and never got food poisoning. Mind you, I do not ever eat chicken anywhere.

Purely as a consumer, it's not an industry I know anything about, they always seemed obsessed with food safety.

As I understand it the problem with the chlorination is not the process itself, but that it can make companies over confident about food cleanliness and thus they will pay less attention. Without the chlorination you cannot be that confident and therefore have to check every part of the process.

Arguably the same point as having a sharpened stake in the middle of your steering wheel as opposed to seatbelts and airbags.
 The Moron has landed - sooty123
I'm not sure that because of chlorinated chicken there is poor standards automatically in the meat industry. There's been case, such as horse meat. I don't think it's a given, for example I'm led to believe salad is by and large chlorinated at some point in the process. I don't think there is poor standards in that part of the food supply chain because of it.
 The Moron has landed - devonite
Come to think of it, the "3 Sisters" ?(I think) one of the U.K's biggest processors of chicken were shutdown recently for similar practices, so poor hygene practices can happen anywhere in any industries, it's probably just down to how keen the Inspectors are!
 The Moron has landed - Bobby
>>how the hell...

Tory Party and David Cameron is your answer there
Latest Forum Posts