Non-motoring > Injured Squirrel Miscellaneous
Thread Author: zippy Replies: 61

Injured Squirrel - zippy
Admission - I am a real pushover when it comes to all things furry.

We have a bird feeder which is also frequented by squirrels and we still see the same ones visit.

Mrs Z has even given them names!!!

Anyhow, one had turned up injured. He has a hole in hind quarters and can no longer use his front claw. I suspect someone has taken a pot shot at it.

It seems to be coping on the ground but can't climb very well.

Mrs Z wants to capture it and take it to the vets. I think they will put it down.

I think nature should take its course as it is making a go of getting around.

Opinion of the forum sought....!
 Injured Squirrel - sooty123
Well if your wife wants to capture it, I think it might be easier said than done to put it mildly, even if it is injured.
 Injured Squirrel - bathtub tom
I understand that as grey squirrels are non-indigenous it is illegal to release them back into the wild if captured.
 Injured Squirrel - Zero
Where do you live, I'll send my dog round, she will fix the problem in a jiffy.
 Injured Squirrel - zippy
>> Where do you live, I'll send my dog round, she will fix the problem in
>> a jiffy.
>>

Our dog makes as much noise as she can before pausing just as she gets to her prey - so that it can get away!

Useless B*%~@#!

;-)
 Injured Squirrel - zippy
I agree, the thing is going to be a nightmare to entice in to a box and then will be vicious once trapped.

I think the best bet is to let nature take its course.

I have had to kill a small animal before. A cat had part paralyzed a mouse and it was clawing its way along the path. Very unpleasant. A paving slab finished it off in one blow.
 Injured Squirrel - sherlock47
>>A cat had part paralyzed a mouse and it was clawing its way along the path. Very unpleasant. A paving slab finished it off in one blow.<<

I hope the cat owner did not discover your solution! :)
 Injured Squirrel - Fullchat
My female neighbour pointed out a distressed grey squirrel in a nearby paddock. FC to the rescue with thick leather glove on. As I picked it up the little bar steward sunk its teeth into my hand through the glove. Quite deep as well! Dropped it and retreated. Cost me a visit to the Drs for a tetanus :(
 Injured Squirrel - Duncan
>> Opinion of the forum sought....!
>>

Catch it in a trap. Drop it in a water butt. Wait ten minutes. Drop dead squirrel in dustbin.
 Injured Squirrel - MD
>> >> Opinion of the forum sought....!
>> >>
>>
>> Catch it in a trap. Drop it in a water butt. Wait ten minutes. Drop
>> dead squirrel in dustbin.

>> Should you be caught in that act then you may find you do not like the outcome. However the chances of getting caught are slim, rather like myself :-)
 Injured Squirrel - Kevin
As bathtub said above. It is illegal to release a grey squirrel once it has been trapped. It has to be killed. The only exceptions are for licensed rescue centres.

You have to ensure that it does not endure any unnecessary suffering and is killed humanely, either by a sharp whack or pellet gun to the back of the head. If you take it to a vet they will definitely put it down and charge you. Best to let nature take it's course.
 Injured Squirrel - Haywain
"You have to ensure that it does not endure any unnecessary suffering and is killed humanely, either by a sharp whack or pellet gun to the back of the head."

That is true - I don't believe that drowning is allowed. My friend caught one in a cage and had to despatch it humanely - he borrowed my air-rifle. As the terrified animal darts from one end of the cage to the other, the only way to shoot it is to aim for a point where it keeps going to, then pull the trigger when it gets there.
Thank you Bradley Cooper :)
 Injured Squirrel - Haywain
"Thank you Bradley Cooper :)"

I had to look up 'Bradley Cooper'; I gather he's a film star. Was he in that movie "They Shoot Squirrels, Don't They?"?
:))
 Injured Squirrel - R.P.
Embarrassingly the older Spaniel got hold of a red squirrel in Newborough woods on Anglesey a few years ago - I think it managed to get away in the end, genuinely lovely look creatures with different shades of colour from a deep glossy red to a classic Tufty look
 Injured Squirrel - zippy
And now there are none...

Sad today as a young squirrel ran along the top of our fence this morning, took a tumble and died right there.

He was surprisingly heavy, gorged even.

I do wonder if someone has been poisoning them (neighbour has an ultra sonic pest deterrent).

We now have no squirrels visiting, which is a shame.

The body is in a shoe box that i was using for expenses receipts in the shed.

I now need to dispose of it without upsetting Mrs Z who also saw the whole thing and as an avid animal lover, was really upset.
 Injured Squirrel - John Boy
That shoe box should make the perfect eco friendly coffin and Mrs Z won't have to see the body.
 Injured Squirrel - CGNorwich
Yes they don't seem to like bodies. My wife made quite a fuss when she scooped up the bloated decomposed body of a rat when she fetchhed a bucket of a water from the water butt.

And I thought she liked animals
Last edited by: CGNorwich on Fri 12 Jul 19 at 21:41
 Injured Squirrel - Zero
I'll arrange a dignified funeral service, Mrs Z can even come and say a few words at the service

to you, £2,500. Tho if you want the fancy shoe box with gold handles, £3500
 Injured Squirrel - zippy
>> I'll arrange a dignified funeral service, Mrs Z can even come and say a few
>> words at the service
>>
>>
>> to you, £2,500. Tho if you want the fancy shoe box with gold handles, £3500
>>

That gave me a welcome chuckle!

Mrs Z is upset because she had given them all names! (FFS!)

And the dog is moody with me because Mrs Z is upset!
 Injured Squirrel - bathtub tom
Went to a funeral today. The guy was a couple of months older than me (I for pedants). It was a graveside service, with a 'celebrant'. Never been to anything like it. Last couple of folk I knew that have 'kicked the bucket' had no funeral. Suits me, a transit van in a cardboard box to the crem and a booze up after. Why spend money on the dead, they can't appreciate it?
 Injured Squirrel - Bromptonaut
>> Went to a funeral today. The guy was a couple of months older than me
>> (I for pedants). It was a graveside service, with a 'celebrant'. Never been to anything
>> like it.

Former colleague of mine was a celebrant. In his case I think he approached it from a religious perspective - sort of lay preacher. Was that what happened here?

My Father's funeral was humanist, he was adamant he didn't want the almighty getting a look in. The funeral director provided an introduction.

How does the no funeral thing work? Just a workaday cremation to dispose of the remains?
 Injured Squirrel - No FM2R
Sadly I go to rather a lot of funerals. As far as I can see it's all about the families and the close ones. I don't really think what the dead person wants matters much, they're dead. It's all about those left behind.

And if it comforts them, then I can see nothing wrong with it. Quite the opposite.

I know several surviving partners who take enormous comfort from the funeral service. I also know one who is so sad and regretful that the thing wasn't done more thoroughly.

I think focusing on what you want from your funeral is about as selfish as it can get. Far more compassionate to worry about what those left behind want.
>> I think focusing on what you want from your funeral is about as selfish as
>> it can get. Far more compassionate to worry about what those left behind want.

It might be if you do it in a way that 'spits in the eye' of those who survive you. I can't see why the normal sort of thing about choosing the hymns you want sung or songs performed, together with where your ashes might be scattered, is selfish. It's something Mrs B and I have discussed.

On a personal level I would have been pretty angry with my Mother, who knew my Father was irreligious for all their 45 year married life, had engaged a CofE Vicar for his funeral and invoked Father, Son and Holy Ghost.

OTOH the local Rector in suburban Leicester who did her send off was brilliant. He'd known her for years, attended her 'coffee mornings' and rightly used the word 'cantankerous' in his address.

Last edited by: Bromptonaut on Fri 12 Jul 19 at 23:52
>>On a personal level I would have been pretty angry with my Mother, who knew my Father was irreligious for all their 45 year married life, had engaged a CofE Vicar for his funeral and invoked Father, Son and Holy Ghost.

Because your feelings are/were more important than hers?
 Injured Squirrel - zippy
Funerals are horrible things.

My favorite aunt passed away last year. Wonderful woman. So easy to take the Michael out of and she realised, she would throw her cushion at you!

Mrs Z is claustrophobic and wants to be cremated.

Mum is Catholic and insists on a proper funeral with "all the trimmings" and has a savings account just for that - why she doesn't spend it on herself, I don't know, but it's her dosh and her choice.

Me, I'm not really bothered. A small ceremony so people can get together and moan about me. I have a couple of hymns that i like from my childhood and it would be nice if they were sang.

I quite like the idea of being buried in a wicker casket in small sunny copse.
Last edited by: zippy on Sat 13 Jul 19 at 01:19
I want my daughters to have the funeral for me that they want, whatever that may be. If they do something they think I would like, if they do something they would like, if they do nothing, if they spend loads, if they spend nothing; as long as it's what they want then it is fine by me.
 Injured Squirrel - tyrednemotional
>>
>> as long as it's what they want then it is fine by me.........
>>

....providing it's not in the near future.......

;-)
 Injured Squirrel - smokie
I have no expectation of how my funeral should be but I would like this bit of music played. Lovely bit of uplifting blues and very relevant lyrics!!

www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZAMgaiaLNPY

I have told SWMBO and told her where to find the mp3 but as she dislikes blues with a passion it may not happen.
 Injured Squirrel - Manatee

>> I have told SWMBO and told her where to find the mp3 but as she
>> dislikes blues with a passion it may not happen.

"Well I woke up this morning...oh no I didn't"
 Injured Squirrel - Zero
>>
>> >> I have told SWMBO and told her where to find the mp3 but as
>> she
>> >> dislikes blues with a passion it may not happen.
>>
>> "Well I woke up this morning...oh no I didn't"

YES! Fab thanks, I'll have this played at my funeral .

www.youtube.com/watch?v=YDDkCiUhHCc

>> YES! Fab thanks, I'll have this played at my funeral .
>>
>> www.youtube.com/watch?v=YDDkCiUhHCc
>>

The only noise you will hear will be people dancing on your grave.
 Injured Squirrel - Zero
>>
>> >> YES! Fab thanks, I'll have this played at my funeral .
>> >>
>> >> www.youtube.com/watch?v=YDDkCiUhHCc
>> >>
>>
>> The only noise you will hear will be people dancing on your grave.

As long as you hear my foot stomping first..
>>Funerals are horrible things.

Well, you say that;

I attended a funeral on Wednesday for a WWII Veteran, she was 95/6. Her twin sister attended along with an impressive amount of friends. family and officialdom.

About half way through the service the pastor stopped and asked if anybody would like to stand up and say anything about the lady.

Half a dozen or so people stood up, only one was family, and told stories about the lady, her life and how she had impacted them.

It was lovely, the sister was somehow happy through her tears and somehow uplifting. I don't remember the first hymn but the second was Morning has Broken.

OK, it was a funeral which is the result of a bad thing, but it was really a lovely service, very touching and, I think, very rewarding for the family.

It showed that the lady had meant something to people. An important thing, I think. And a comforting thing.
Last edited by: No FM2R on Sat 13 Jul 19 at 02:01
>> Because your feelings are/were more important than hers?

No, and I think this is one of those things on which you and I will have to agree to differ, because I believe the normal protocol is that where the deceased expressed wishes they should be respected. As I stated above it would be different if those wishes were abhorrent to those left behind but that wasn't the case with Dad. He left it pretty late to say what he wanted, he was in his final hospital stay and in a side ward, but he was clear enough and wanted a pen and paper to write it down.

The humanist funeral was dignified and, like others have said we were able to contribute to the eulogy. My sister read some stuff, starting with a quote from one of Alfred Waignright's books about a bit of the Lakes Dad loved. The committal was almost word for word that that might have been used by a CofE priest except with no look in for the Holy Trinity.

I'd want the same and Mrs B and daughter/son would be wholly on board with that.
No, and I think this is one of those things on which you and I
>> will have to agree to differ, because I believe the normal protocol is that where
>> the deceased expressed wishes they should be respected. As I stated above it would be
>> different if those wishes were abhorrent to those left behind but that wasn't the case
>> with Dad.

I think that's the case when the requests of the deceased and those left behind align fairly easily and any compromises are straight forward. Its when people have more widely differing views that you get problems.

One example, a man had died quite young and him and his partner were into the drag queen scene. His parents were the quiet type and whether they didn't know about it or never fully accepted it I don't know. There was diva/soul type music chosen throughout the funeral, lots of drag queens, doves released etc. The person that was there said he'd never seen someone so awkward, embarrassed and out of place than the man's parents. They in all likelihood wanted something much more quiet , solemn and dignified.
Last edited by: sooty123 on Sat 13 Jul 19 at 10:20
>> I think that's the case when the requests of the deceased and those left behind
>> align fairly easily and any compromises are straight forward. Its when people have more widely
>> differing views that you get problems.

Spot on. Dad's funeral came into the 'align easily' group as would my Mother's, preference for CofE type rites if she'd died before him. Dad could mumble The Lord's Prayer as well as the next man.
Last edited by: Bromptonaut on Sat 13 Jul 19 at 11:31
I don't really want to push very far into a personal matter so let it be about me.

My Father absolutely does not believe in God, religion or the church. Consequently what happens at his funeral ought to be a matter of complete irrelevance to him, whether or not he expresses any wishes.

I know what he'd like, but if my Mother survives him, and she is religious, and wants something entirely different because that will make her more comforted, then that is far more important to me than either my feelings or those of my dead and unknowing Father.
>> My Father absolutely does not believe in God, religion or the church. Consequently what happens
>> at his funeral ought to be a matter of complete irrelevance to him, whether or
>> not he expresses any wishes.

Their positions are exactly those of my parents.

Another view is that the funeral is a celebration of the life of the deceased. On that basis allowing a God and church my Father did not believe in to be part of that celebration seems, at best, out of place. I'm fairly sure my Mother thought that too.

I accept that your argument about the living is also a valid one and if, come the day, it helps your Mother to be comforted then you can do the other thing and do a full religious service and need feel no guilt for going so.

It's hardly an area needing a 'one size fits all' approach.

>>It's hardly an area needing a 'one size fits all' approach.

Very true.
 Injured Squirrel - R.P.
When my first wife died I wanted what I imagined she would have wanted, a private funeral with family only. I was (easily) persuaded by her mother to make it public in the Church we were married. Around 250 turned up and we ran out of food at the tea that followed, there was a traditional evening vigil held the previous evening as well, in retrospect it was probably the right thing.
 Injured Squirrel - CGNorwich
"Far more compassionate to worry about what those left behind want"

Absolutely. Most people want some sort of finality and to use that horrible term closure. They want a chance to mark and remember the passing of a partner relative or friend. Just look at the anguish cause when people cannot have a funeral because a body had never been found after a murder or accident. To dictate how others choose to mark your passing seems selfish and uncaring.
I've family that worked in the funeral director business and the saying they used was, funerals are for the living not the dead.
 Injured Squirrel - Zero
My Mother specified what songs she wanted at her Funeral, where she wanted to be cremated, and where she wanted the wake. I saw no problem in fulfilling any of those wishes. There are plenty of other things to include to fulfil the needs of the living.

For example we had a celebrant, (very good she was too) people were invited to either send snippets to her, or if they wished, stand and speak a few words. Champagne was served at the wake. Being from the east end, a boozy wake is important, and bubbles always seems to make people happy.

Her ashes was scattered later in the sea at Southsea, followed by a fish and chip supper.

It was all far more than she deserved, but there you go.
 Injured Squirrel - R.P.
A close, former colleague died recently, he was cremated with no-one other than the staff at the crem present, his son (with whom I am still in contact) wasn't told of the arrangements. I found it a little bit sad. He suffered from horrendous PTSD and had taken to drink. Horrible
My old next door neighbour used to work in the nhs dealing with those that had no known relatives and had died in hospital. There's more than people think, he was always busy.
>> My old next door neighbour used to work in the nhs dealing with those that
>> had no known relatives and had died in hospital. There's more than people think, he
>> was always busy.

That is absolutely true. As I've said before I worked for a long spell in a role supporting those under the jurisdiction of the Court of Protection. No known surviving relatives or utter estrangement from family was a pretty common annotation in case notes. It as common for caseworkers or caseworkers and the person in your old neighbour's role or their counterpart at the council to be the only attendees at the funeral.
I'm not sure how it all worked I never asked him. Although I remember the funeral directors used to make a loss on the 'paupers funerals' I think it was a fixed rate set by the government that never covered even the most basic of funerals.
 Injured Squirrel - Robin O'Reliant
I'm in the transit van and no ceremony camp.

On my cardboard coffin I want "Return to sender" on the side, along with a first class stamp (Freddie Star had that, but without the stamp). As I'm shoved into the oven I'd like this played -

www.youtube.com/watch?v=e-ZAL_1rcfQ
Last edited by: Robin O'Reliant on Sat 13 Jul 19 at 11:28
 Injured Squirrel - Kevin
My sister and her husband moved to Spain nearly 20 years ago. My BiL joked that if he died first she should just wrap him in bin bags and leave him by the trash bins for the local Moroccan dumpster divers to dispose of.

He died a couple of years ago and it caused a huge row in their family. His siblings wanted her to repatriate the body to have the cremation and a service in his native Yorkshire. All at her expense of course. In the end, none of them could be bothered to spend £100 with Ryanair to attend the cremation and the scattering of his ashes in the sea at his favourite spot in Santa Pola.
 Injured Squirrel - zippy
>> In the end, none
>> of them could be bothered to spend £100 with Ryanair to attend the cremation and
>> the scattering of his ashes in the sea at his favourite spot in Santa Pola.
>>

I was still in the airport when I got the call that my aunt, and closest sister to my mum had passed away. There were no flights back that night but I made sure that I was on the first plane back in the morning to comfort mum.

It's what you do.

Like accompanying parents across Europe to a funeral because you want to support them.
>> My sister and her husband moved to Spain ............
>> He died a couple of years ago and it caused a huge row in their
>> family. His siblings wanted her to repatriate the body to have the cremation and a
>> service in his native Yorkshire.

Absolutely bonkers.
 Injured Squirrel - Zero
I bought the dog a fantastic toy the other week, Its a road kill fox toy, flat in the middle, realistic small foxes head on one end and a furry brush on the other. Dog loves it, but I took it to a dog show yesterday, laid it on the ground and parked a front wheel on it. Just for laf, you know.

I was not popular. Well not quite true, there was a 50% split outrageous laughter / complete outraged horror and accusation.
 Injured Squirrel - commerdriver
>> there was a 50% split outrageous laughter / complete outraged horror and accusation.
>>
Pretty much like most of what you post on here then :-)

Seriously I think I would have been on the funny side of this one, how long did the poor dog spend trying to get it out from under the wheel?
 Injured Squirrel - Zero
She spent an hour guarding it, in case it recovered and tried to wriggle out.
 Injured Squirrel - henry k
>>Its a road kill fox toy, flat in the middle, realistic small foxes head on one end and a furry brush on the other.
>>
LOL
A copy of the Kiwi possum toys. Possums not at all liked in NZ so loads of toys etc.

www.zazzle.co.uk/funny+roadkill+gifts

www.etsy.com/listing/89485481/mini-roadkill-animal-of-your-choice-can
 Injured Squirrel - Zero
Its this one

www.vetuk.co.uk/dog-toys-soft-dog-toys-plush-c-439_697/afp-roadkill-fox-dog-toy-x-large-p-10888
 Injured Squirrel - Zero
Here is a quick vid of said toy. you get the idea.

youtu.be/IXEYwTjV1z4
>> Here is a quick vid of said toy. you get the idea.
>>
>> youtu.be/IXEYwTjV1z4
>>

I noticed that your large lorry video has now got over 2 millyun views!
 Injured Squirrel - Zero
>> >> Here is a quick vid of said toy. you get the idea.
>> >>
>> >> youtu.be/IXEYwTjV1z4
>> >>
>>
>> I noticed that your large lorry video has now got over 2 millyun views!

How many? check again, over 3.4 million hits. Its bought me a very nice semi pro Sony 4K camera. With change.
Ooh! Yeah, you're right. 3.4 mill. Crumbs!

www.youtube.com/watch?v=ApuqDou-CmU
Latest Forum Posts