Non-motoring > Tipping Miscellaneous
Thread Author: smokie Replies: 14

Tipping - smokie
I'm having a Chinese meal delivered tonight, probably about £50 worth. Do folks normally tip food delivery drivers, if so how much?

And while we're on the topic... who else do you tip and roughly what amount/percentage, and are there any who you don't tip but think you should? All on the assumption that there was nothing wrong with the service but neither was it outstanding.

I usually tip my hairdresser about £2 which is about 20%.

The dustman and postie don't usually get anything at Christmas but I feel I ought to.

In a restaurant (as opposed to a fast food place) I'll generally tip somewhere around 12 - 15%, though I know there are some who don't.

But I'm not sure quite where the line is drawn there though, I don't do Nandos, and the like but would one tip there? I did at Harry Ramsden's.

I don't tip in Costa or at a bar (in the UK, though it is virtually mandatory in the US). Odd change often goes in the charity box though, or the staff box if there is one. But often in a more traditional tea shop I'll leave a quid or two in the saucer.

Hotels, what about the bloke who takes your cases to your room, or the person who brings you room service, or your favourite barman or waiter???? The bloke who dishes out the towels or sets up your lounger? Or cleans your room? How much? Are you different at home and abroad, do your tips take account of local wages etc?

Other home delivery drivers we.g. Tesco, where they've lugged your shipping right into the kitchen for you (and maybe up the stairs to your flat). Or "white glove" (??) delivery drivers who deliver a bed to the bedroom, and they've unpacked and removed packaging etc, maybe even built an item for you?

Tipping - No FM2R
I usually tip delivery drivers, and typically a convenient whole amount around 10%.

I usually give dustmen, posties etc a bottle of something, or a slab of beers. Though i tend to do that from time to time through the year anyway.

In a restaurant I tip absolutely according to the service and have no issue with 0%. An adequate job is 10%.

I don't tip in takeaways, including the likes of Starbucks, though if there is a staff box I'll often drop the coins in.

Hotels is a different approach. I like to be looked after in hotels and I am usually travelling alone. So doormen, barmen, porters and the like all get well looked after. And it almost always comes back in customer care.

I leave a cleaning tip about once a week. I do not take account of local wages, I take account of the room rate.

I tip furniture deliverers and assemblers, and offer tea and snacks if they will be a while.

I do not tip taxi drivers as such, though I useally round up to a convenient amount.

I'll often use the "and one for yourself" approach in a pub/bar in the UK, I always tip a bartender in the US. Other countries vary but mostly 10% on the final bill.

I am a creature of habit and so use the same service providers more than once. e.g. it is my habit when staying in a hotel to have a nightcap and so I will see the barman pretty much every day. I like him to be pleased to see me and focussed on serving me well.

And even if I won't be back, then I like to give the next gringo businessman a good start.
 Tipping - legacylad
Always in the USA. Both of the friends whom I sponge off ( free accommodation and use of one of their vehicles) did bar work as students so they told me how the system works. Same when staying in hotels and dining outside on holiday. I tip at the start of the trip and seemingly get nice tables for the duration. In effect it’s bribery. Let’s not kid ourselves.
In the U.K. I never tip in my local pubs. Often they provide me free pints...first out of the barrel is always free to regulars, free pints on a quiet night if you’ve had a few and the bar owner is enjoying a chat with me.
Hairdressers I tip. I never ask for the change from my fiver either in Keighley or Skipton barber shops I frequent every 3 months.
 Tipping - Duncan
>> Hairdressers I tip. I never ask for the change from my fiver either in Keighley
>> or Skipton barber shops I frequent every 3 months.
>>

Change from a fiver!!

How much do you pay for a haircut in t'north?
 Tipping - legacylad
£4.99. Until 6 months ago it was £3.99. So I gave them £4.
Only takes ten minutes, or less, and there’s always a queue
 Tipping - Duncan
£4.99? And you let them keep the change from a fiver?

Excessive generosity will be my downfall too!
 Tipping - tyrednemotional
....but have you seen his haircut..... :-O
 Tipping - legacylad
I wouldn’t call it that. Style varies daily according to whether I towel it dry or simply cba.
 Tipping - VxFan
>> and there’s always a queue

Never had people queuing up to cut my hair before.
 Tipping - tyrednemotional
....you're obviously not a tipper......

;-)
 Tipping - sooty123
I tip in restaurants, usually about 15% if the service is good, and the house removal blokes that's about it. I don't get food or takeaways delivered, can't say I go to hotels where there's lots of service staff.
 Tipping - Zero
Tip in restaurants, hotels, and food delivery. Usually 10%.

Haircut is 9 quid (at all of the three barbers I can walk to) so I pay a tenner and they keep the sprassie.

Tipping - Bromptonaut
The Lad spent a year or so delivering pizzas and was hugely appreciative of tips.
 Tipping - zippy
Restaurants 10% rounded to the nearest paper note, not on the card. Have not tipped where service / food was poor and have gone to 20% for exceptional service.

Also, if using a voucher or deal, I always base my tip on the cost before the voucher is used.

Fast food delivery 10% - usually a couple or three quid.

Furniture delivery with assembly - cups of tea and biscuits and a tenner each for a couple of beers.

Barber, next full £ up. Remember, they have sharp things around your head!

Postie and bin men, Mrs Z sorts that but I understand its £10 each.
 Tipping - Duncan
Just back a couple of weeks from a cruise with P & O. They stopped tipping on the 1st May this year.

The missus still gave the cabin steward 20 euros.
Latest Forum Posts