Non-motoring > Obituary of a virtual friend. Miscellaneous
Thread Author: Manatee Replies: 38

Obituary of a virtual friend. - Manatee

tiny.cc/Luddites
 Obituary of a virtual friend. - nice but dim
Lud? Based on the URL?

Sad to hear.
 Obituary of a virtual friend. - No FM2R
Impressive. Not a finger in a bucket of water.
 Obituary of a virtual friend. - sooty123
I think he went on here by another name, I guess it confirmed what quite a lot on here suspected that he'd passed away.

Btw how did you find the obituary and know that was him ?
 Obituary of a virtual friend. - Duncan
Armel Coussine?

Although he had previously used Lud.

Same bloke, do we think? Timing is about right.
Last edited by: Duncan on Fri 5 Jul 19 at 12:43
>> Armel Coussine?

Yes that's the one.

>> Although he had previously used Lud.

I don't remember that user name.
 Obituary of a virtual friend. - VxFan
>> I don't remember that user name.

IIRC, Lud was the handle he used on HJ.
IIRC, Lud was the handle he used on HJ.
>>

Fair enough, I don't really remember many user names from that far back.
 Obituary of a virtual friend. - Bromptonaut
>> Btw how did you find the obituary and know that was him ?

I don't think sussing his identity was that difficult, he gave us plenty of clues.
> I don't think sussing his identity was that difficult, he gave us plenty of clues.
>>
>>

I can't say I knew his real name or remember any clues, but then I didn't really go 'looking' for him.
 Obituary of a virtual friend. - Zero
There is no doubt it's him
 Obituary of a virtual friend. - R.P.
It is him sadly. He contributed greatly to this site and to my motoring vocabulary ! His stories were great.
 Obituary of a virtual friend. - Runfer D'Hills
It is him, bless him. I enjoyed his posts. RIP.
 Obituary of a virtual friend. - Manatee
I didn't think he would have appreciated being outed explicitly although he mentioned some of his work a couple of times, which I was interested in enough at the time to read.

I'll leave it to the mods to decide whether the nom de keyboard should be mentioned. Those to whom it matters will know, to those who don't know it doesn't matter.

Quite a life. But we knew that.
 Obituary of a virtual friend. - No FM2R
I suspect that one of the things he would not have appreciated is an obituary.
 Obituary of a virtual friend. - Ambo
The obit resonates a bit with Armel. We exchanged the occasional remark in French and he said he knew some of the journalists on the Le Monde newspaper. He spoke as if he knew his way around Fleet Street as well.
 Obituary of a virtual friend. - zippy
AC always livened up a debate on here.

RIP.
 Obituary of a virtual friend. - Lygonos
RIP John.
His last post on 24th March 2017.
>> His last post on 24th March 2017.

I remember the last few months of him on here, starting to suffer from amnesia, thinking he had posted something when he hadn't, or replied to completely the wrong thread.

Poor old Lud. RIP.
>> >> His last post on 24th March 2017.
>>
>> I remember the last few months of him on here, starting to suffer from amnesia,
>> thinking he had posted something when he hadn't, or replied to completely the wrong thread.

He squirrelled posts in various places and then couldn't find them. I'm not convinced the cause was amnesia............
 Obituary of a virtual friend. - Robin O'Reliant
Quite possible he had been ill for some time and did not feel up to posting. One would rather the end was quick, of course.
 Obituary of a virtual friend. - CGNorwich

I reckon that PT cruiser of his would have been ideal for his final trip

What can one say but

TCHAH!

Last edited by: CGNorwich on Fri 5 Jul 19 at 18:24
>> He squirrelled posts in various places and then couldn't find them. I'm not convinced the
>> cause was amnesia............

I was trying to be polite.
>> >> He squirrelled posts in various places and then couldn't find them. I'm not convinced
>> the
>> >> cause was amnesia............
>>
>> I was trying to be polite.
>>

Oh I don't know, he was right about it on a couple of occasions. Some posts did go walkies.
 Obituary of a virtual friend. - PeterS
Thanks for posting...sorry to hear, but not unexpected.
What a life, and always an enlightening contributor. Localish to us in W Sussex too I recall. RIP
 Obituary of a virtual friend. - hawkeye
RIP. Told an interesting tale or two.
 Obituary of a virtual friend. - Fenlander
Only just picked up on this thread. You all have sussed out now John was indeed that poster on here. A good few years ago he got in touch re a shared interest in the Nigerian political activist and musician Fela Kuti. It turned out during the period John was enjoying most (or all) of the delights on offer within Fela's Lagos compound my father was a contracts manager working for people on the other side of the political fence. Dad passed the compound most days looking at it and the surrounding activity with some horror.

It was interesting to hear John's take on it all from the inside and a mark of his diverse character that he felt comfortable in an environment that would challenge many of us...

www.youtube.com/watch?v=UwM-PKUVNf8

I also loved his sometimes disparaging comments on the earliest performances of now super groups like Pink Floyd and the Stones... John was very much in the thick of it then with friends like Hoppy Hopkins who was one of the number one guys in the 60s London scene, I think John reported on Hoppy's funeral here a few years back. I do know Hoppy attended John's 75th birthday.

So for once an internet character where all he said and so much more truly happened.

I lost his email address after a PC meltdown and from time to time have Googled his name but never spotted the obituary so grateful to find it linked here.

I reckon he saw more than many would in ten lifetimes and never regretted any of it.
Last edited by: Fenlander on Sun 7 Jul 19 at 12:33
 Obituary of a virtual friend. - Dave_
>> Only just picked up on this thread

Likewise. Lud / AC / John was good to me, rest in peace Sir.
 Obituary of a virtual friend. - Westpig
Only just heard of this.

AC e-mailed me over something or other and opened up a bit about his private life, enough for me to know we walked different paths in life at some points in our lives, yet he was non judgemental and was if anything interested to hear what the 'other side' thought.

He was also kind enough to say he thought I ought to pursue some form of writing as a sort of career path or in amateur form. I didn't agree with him on that one.

I liked his way: his bluntness; willingness to apologise if necessary; willingness to poke his stick into the wasps nest, then sit back and watch the result; his ability to look at another's viewpoint.

Bottom line he was interesting, non conformist and willing to say what he thought. IMO we need more like him.

Hope he didn't suffer too much.

Long time no see Westy.
Hi WP,

How's things?

I know you and I seem to view life through different prisms but I miss your posts in here.
>> I know you and I seem to view life through different prisms but I miss
>> your posts in here.

Same here Bromp. Kept me on my toes.
>> Long time no see Westy.
>>
Aye, has been a while.
 Obituary of a virtual friend. - Robin O'Reliant
We've lost a few over the last year or so.
 Obituary of a virtual friend. - Lygonos

>>Hope he didn't suffer too much.

Something tells me he'd not have had much difficulty asking for something for symptom relief!

And as he didn't live a life constrained by fear I expect he left it the same way also.

>> Something tells me he'd not have had much difficulty asking for something for symptom relief!
>>
>> And as he didn't live a life constrained by fear I expect he left it
>> the same way also.

Hope so
 Obituary of a virtual friend. - Fenlander
>>>Something tells me he'd not have had much difficulty asking for something for symptom relief!

Ha ha… I liked this he wrote about attending his friend Hoppy Hopkins funeral back in 2015...

"I had one large whisky (Hoppy wasn't a boozer) and a bit of rather good hash someone gave me that I had to go outside and smoke in the car. Herself noticed the pong when we were driving home after leaving the knees-up early around 7.30"
 Obituary of a virtual friend. - Kevin
Although we crossed verbal swords on a few occassions, he was erudite and Westpig has it spot on.

"I liked his way: his bluntness; willingness to apologise if necessary; willingness to poke his stick into the wasps nest, then sit back and watch the result; his ability to look at another's viewpoint.

Bottom line he was interesting, non conformist and willing to say what he thought. IMO we need more like him."

We also discovered that we had some common interests. We both experienced Africa in the 70's and had friends who were members of the Beat Generation.

I've missed him.
Latest Forum Posts