Non-motoring > Sea gulls Miscellaneous
Thread Author: John Boy Replies: 12

Sea gulls - John Boy
I thought people generally were concerned that they no longer behave like sea birds. If so, this qualifies as the daftest idea I've heard of:
www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-sussex-48879749
 Sea gulls - Bromptonaut
Understand Southern Water are responsible for pollutants from sewage outlets and from drains. If they also cop the blame for dogshine on the beach, seagull poo or the desperate going for a Richard under pier then that seems harsh. However statutory duties can be harsh so let's assume they are.

If faecal matter from gulls is an issue and SW get the blame than 'something must be done'. However unless they're only bothered with Worthing's status hawks seem a bit futile as the gulls will just go and poo in Brighton (or maybe Hove actually!). Better to discourage them form nesting and remove easy sources of food.

We certainly have Herring Gulls, the Black Headed sort and Black Backs a plenty in Northampton which is pretty much as far from the sea as you can get.
 Sea gulls - Manatee
I don't like them but, considering the amount of rubbish yuman beans chuck in the sea, seagull poop must be a sideshow.
 Sea gulls - Zero
>> I thought people generally were concerned that they no longer behave like sea birds. If
>> so, this qualifies as the daftest idea I've heard of:
>> www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-sussex-48879749

They best start doing something about the fish posing and peeing in the seat then, not to mention what the crabs get up to.
 Sea gulls - CGNorwich
Herring gulls, which the one in the picture appears to be are actually, like so many species, are on the RSPB red list due to ongoing population decline.
 Sea gulls - maltrap
Smells a bit fishy to me
 Sea gulls - smokie
It was bin day when I was in Weymouth last week and by the morning those bins which were not gull-proof (i.e. people put out plastic bags full of rubbish) were strewn all over the street.None were remotely intact.

The birds had started when I was coming home the previous evening and there were disposable baby nappies and other general waste all over the place.

Apparently the bin men don't clear it up but the street cleaner comes along later and does.
Last edited by: smokie on Mon 8 Jul 19 at 18:27
 Sea gulls - Robin O'Reliant
>> It was bin day when I was in Weymouth last week and by the morning
>> those bins which were not gull-proof (i.e. people put out plastic bags full of rubbish)
>> were strewn all over the street.None were remotely intact.
>>
>>>>
>>
It happens down here being on the coast, but mainly in the less salubrious localities. Those of us in the posher places wrap an old blanket round the bags to keep the little peckers at bay.

It is apparently illegal to shoot the damn things, a law obviously dreamed up by someone who has never been dive bombed by an incontinent gull
 Sea gulls - John Boy
They can recognise particular people. It's not a good idea to annoy one because they can vomit and defecate simultaneously. They can also do it whilst executing a banking turn, so standing against a wall is not a perfect defensive strategy.
 Sea gulls - CGNorwich
Gulls are remarkable birds. Amazing flying skills and great to watcch. Puts human aviation ability in the shade. The Greater Black Backed variety are huge when you get up close.
 Sea gulls - Zero
But not very efficient, you wouldn't want one outside your house 365/7/24 or Duncan's.
 Sea gulls - bathtub tom
Before another pedant beats me to it, I thought there was no such species as seagulls?
AIUI they're all different species of gull.

Still loathe the damn things, as I do pigeons, grey squirrels, cats that crap in my garden.................................
 Sea gulls - Bromptonaut
>> They can recognise particular people. It's not a good idea to annoy one because they
>> can vomit and defecate simultaneously. They can also do it whilst executing a banking turn,
>> so standing against a wall is not a perfect defensive strategy.

There was one around London's Carey St a dozen or so years ago that was known for aggressive behaviour. We had one nesting on roof of our office in Chancery Lane at about same time that amply demonstrated the ability to make a right mess of anybody that crossed it. Pest control guy accessed roof via what was then the smokers room and returned rather smartly by same route to amusement of the nicotine addicts,,,,
Latest Forum Posts