Non-motoring > How do you say 2010 (the year)? Miscellaneous
Thread Author: tyro Replies: 43

How do you say 2010 (the year)? - tyro
I say "two thousand and ten".

But I hear other people saying "twenty ten".

Why do I say "two thousand and ten"? Probably because I called the year 2000 "two thousand" - and the year after that "two thousand and one" (what else could I call it, growing up in years where everyone knew the film "2001: A Space Odyssey" - and no-one called it "twenty o one: A Space Odyssey"?) and so on.

Of course, I talk about "nineteen o one" and "nineteen ten" so I'm not really consistent.

So I'm curious. What are other people calling this year?

How do you say 2010 (the year)? - Fenlander
My brain sees twenty ten but I say two thousand and ten!
 How do you say 2010 (the year)? - Zero
I say "two thousand and ten", and have said "two thousand and xxx" ever since, well "two thousand"

I also say "nineteen oh one" or "nineteen ten"

I think its because I was heavily involved in the perceived "year two thousand" bug. (of course in the IT industry we also used the abreviation "y2k" IN the planning it was always spoken "in the year two thousand" or "two thousand and xxx"
 How do you say 2010 (the year)? - Mapmaker
Twenty ten. 3 syllables
Two thousand and ten. 5 syllables

Twenty oh nine. 4 syllables
Two thousand and nine. 5 syllables.

I think the two syllable difference is sufficient that people are swapping to the shorter form; a one syllable difference was not enough to move away from the two thousand that was familiar from the year 2000.

Two thousand. 3 syllables.
Twenty hundred. 4 - and missing the excitement of being numbered in the thousands.
 How do you say 2010 (the year)? - FotheringtonTomas
"Two thousand and ten" or "twenty ten", depending on circumstance.

However, would anyone in the past have said "one thousand nine hundred and ninety-nine", for instance, rather than "nineteen ninety-nine"? "One thousand nine hundred and eighty-four" rather than "nineteen eighty-four"?
 How do you say 2010 (the year)? - Alanovich
I've always found it interesting to note that, before 2000, I and everyone I know referred to it as "the year two thousand". But now that it is in the past, people tend to say just "two thousand" more often than not when recounting memories of that year.

No ever said "the year nineteen ninety four", so why did we all always say "the year two thousand"? Were we bestowing some kind of sense of occasion when using that term? Perhaps, but it does seem sill now. The year and the "celebrations" around it were a distinct damp squid (I know, it just makes me smile), compared with all the hopes and expectations we all had around it.

For 2010, I catch myself using both forms from time to time, for no apparent reason. But I think the big change will come in 2020, when we will all revert to saying "twenty twenty", and I think from them on all years will be prefixed with "twenty" rather than "two thousand and". I think for the years 2001 - 2019, the "twenty" prefix sounds a bit uncomfortable, but for 2020 onwards it sounds more pleasing. But maybe that's just me.
 How do you say 2010 (the year)? - Dog
>>> For 2010, I catch myself using both forms from time to time, <<<

ditto, but I quite like Twenty Ten, and as wossaname says - its got less silly b***s.
 How do you say 2010 (the year)? - Crankcase
I wonder how long the current numbering scheme will last. A good war in the next 100 years could reset the clock to zero for future historians.
Of course - according to the Islamic calender, it is the year 1431 H, whereas in the Judaic Hebrew calender it is the year 5770, but y'all knew that :)
Its year 208 under the French republican calender.
Well I appear to have developed my own time bubble, because the other day I dated a cheque 1973 for some reason.

Good old 1973 - the year we joined the (then) EEC :(
All I remember of 1973 is trying not to get frothy Cresta on my Chopper.
 How do you say 2010 (the year)? - crocks
Would a Sid James comment here get edited out?
The year I started the last job I had. Miners strike year
Last edited by: Zero on Fri 5 Mar 10 at 14:52
I thought I'd just made it. Mind you, after watching Julian Clary the other night who declared that not only did he appreciate a nice warm hand on his entrance, but that he used to be a designer and once had a hand in Floella Benjamin's interior I'm not sure it was really worthy of such.

How do you say 2010 (the year)? - MD
>> So I'm curious. What are other people calling this year?
>>
Ruddy wet.
 How do you say 2010 (the year)? - Dave_
I spent 1973 dribbling and filling nappies - I was only born in the previous November.

I refer to the current year as twenty ten, it seems easier to fall into referring to the century as the "twenties" now we're out of single digits. When referring to years from the last decade I tend to use the last two digits, as in "oh four", "oh six" etc. Having filled in a lot of forms lately (some verbally) with several years' address histories it becomes second nature very quickly.
 How do you say 2010 (the year)? - Avant
Twenty-ten.

We may as well get on with it: in 11 years' time even diehard Luddites won't be saying 'two thousand and twenty-one'.....will they?
 How do you say 2010 (the year)? - L'escargot
>> ........ in 11 years' time even diehard Luddites
>> won't be saying 'two thousand and twenty-one'.....will they?

I will. I'm not a Luddite (and I'm sure that's not the right word for this situation anyway) but I like to speak correctly.

I also say pence, and not pee.

I was educated in the time before sloppy speaking became common.
>> I say "two thousand and ten".

Me too. When all is said and done it's only a number, and that's the correct way to say numbers.
Last edited by: L'escargot on Sat 6 Mar 10 at 07:30
 How do you say 2010 (the year)? - Runfer D'Hills
Two thousand
Two double Oh One
Two double Oh Two
Two double Oh Three....etc....up to Two double Oh Nine

Twenty Ten
Two Oh One Oh
Two Oh Eleven
Two Oh One Two
Two Oh One Three
Two Oh One Four
Two Oh One Five
Two Oh One Six
Two Oh One Seven
Two Oh One Eight
Two Oh One Nine
Twenty Twenty
Twenty Twenty One

Dunno why, but that's what I say. Sorry if it's wrong / offends !

;-)
Last edited by: Humph D'bout on Sat 6 Mar 10 at 08:04
To be Honest (John) I think this ere settles it = once & for all (IMHO) ~
www.youtube.com/watch?v=izQB2-Kmiic
 How do you say 2010 (the year)? - car4play
Actually the score was settled a thousand years ago when King William won a battle in the year One Thousand and Sixty-Six.

Or more recently George Orwell wrote a book called "One Thousand Nine Hundred and Eighty-Four".
And checkout Prince singing "Tonight I'm gonna party like it's One Thousand Nine Hundred and Ninety-Nine". (www.youtube.com/watch?v=pnuijDieOvY)

The long number just doesn't quite fit really.

How do you say 2010 (the year)? - crocks
James Bond, zero zero seven.
>> James Bond zero zero seven.
>>

Perhaps it's OO7 and not 007.
>> Two double Oh One

0 is number zero, not letter O.
 How do you say 2010 (the year)? - Stuartli
I'd say two thousand and one, but twenty ten for this year.

It's a case of which is the least clumsy in each instance.

>> 0 is number zero not letter O.

Do you say "zero" or "nought" when saying phone numbers or credit card numbers? I try to but it's easier to say "o one two two three" than "zero one two two three".

>> Do you say "zero" or "nought" when saying phone numbers or credit card numbers?

I say zero for phone numbers, or for any other sort of number. I don't communicate my credit card number verbally.

Here we have a generation brought up in the use of computers (in which accuracy is vital) and they use an O when they should have used a 0. What happens during their online banking when they type 2OOO instead of 2000?
 How do you say 2010 (the year)? - Runfer D'Hills
I wasn't asking for approval. Just as well really......Whoops, finding it hard to care again.......

:-)
>> happens during their online banking when they type 2OOO instead of 2000?

try it - it will get rejected with an error box becuase the expected input is numeric, not alpha numeric.
 How do you say 2010 (the year)? - bathtub tom
This was the bane of my life for many years.

A system I had to modify at regular intervals had it's original data input by people who inserted alpha 'o' instead of numeric '0' at frequent, random places. The error produced often bore no resemblance to the problem causing it.

Those responsible for the erroneous input were all promoted, I remained where I was!
 How do you say 2010 (the year)? - Ian (Cape Town)
As 2010 is a rather important year in this neck of the woods, you get to hear 'twenty ten' at least 47 times a day.
 How do you say 2010 (the year)? - Fursty Ferret
I took the easy way out and refer to it as "oh-ten". Seems to work and is technically correct.
>> >> happens during their online banking when they type 2OOO instead of 2000?
>>
>> try it - it will get rejected with an error box becuase the expected input
>> is numeric not alpha numeric.
>>

That was my point. So why call the 0 an O? Also I can't see how one's brain can visualise an O and then one's finger key in a 0.
 How do you say 2010 (the year)? - Mapmaker
>> >> I say "two thousand and ten".
>>
Escargot>> Me too. When all is said and done it's only a number and that's the
>> correct way to say numbers.

But it's not a number, it's a year. Did you really say One thousand, nine hundred and ninety nine?

Thought not. Twenty ten it is.
>> Thought not.

:-D
>> But it's not a number it's a year. Did you really say One thousand nine
>> hundred and ninety nine?
>>
>> Thought not. Twenty ten it is.

In the year of our Lord eighteen hundred and six ............ ingeb.org/songs/intheyro.html

Similarly nineteen hundred and ninetyone and two thousand and ten. In a hundred years time (if I was still alive!) I would say twentyone hundred and ten.
Last edited by: L'escargot on Mon 8 Mar 10 at 11:54
 How do you say 2010 (the year)? - oilburner
It is, of course, the year 7DA in hexadecimal. Four syllables, so it's shorter than two thousand and ten. One less key to press too.

Has a nice ring to it, don't you think?

I shall use it forthwith.
 How do you say 2010 (the year)? - rtj70
I prefer to think in binary, so it will always be 11111010000 to me ;-)

The comment above that asked how we referred to the 1900's answers this for me. The year 1999 was always referred to as nineteen ninety-nine. Therefore 2099 would be twenty ninety-nine. So we are currently in the year twenty ten. We only referred to the earlier years in this century like 2009 as we did because 'twenty nine' didn't sound right (29 AD was a long time ago!)
 How do you say 2010 (the year)? - oilburner
>> I prefer to think in binary, so it will always be 11111010000 to me

Hmmm, catchy. I like it! Except, that I hate to be pedantic (!!) but.. it's actually the year 11111011010... :D

I found using binary very useful on an old keyboard of mine when half the number keys packed in due to all too frequent bathing in syrupy coffee, but as long as 0 and 1 works, you're still okay.

Unfortunately, other folk seem to find binary harder to work with compared to that old pretender base 10. Standards of education are not what they woz!

:)
Last edited by: oilburner on Mon 8 Mar 10 at 16:54
>> I found using binary very useful on an old keyboard of mine when half the
>> number keys packed in due to all too frequent bathing in syrupy coffee but as
>> long as 0 and 1 works you're still okay.

Except no-one else can think in binary, so unless you are typing to yourself, its of no use at all.

Ah hex! well i remember plugging up hardcoded hex address onto cards with 2 x 4 rows of 2 pins, or even twiddling a whole row of dials with zero to fox on them.
 How do you say 2010 (the year)? - rtj70
I remember decimal 62 is the op-code for Load A on a Zilog Z80 though.

I thought I'd typed 2010 in CALC and then switched to binary and copied it. Clearly not ;-) I never checked I got it right. I probably typed 2000 or something.
Last edited by: rtj70 on Mon 8 Mar 10 at 20:40
Latest Forum Posts