Non-motoring > painting the garage Miscellaneous
Thread Author: slowdown avenue Replies: 26

painting the garage - slowdown avenue
would it be ok to paint the inside brick walls with white emulsion .
 painting the garage - Robin O'Reliant
I've never known emulsion to melt brick, so I suppose it must be.
 painting the garage - No FM2R
Quite ok.
 painting the garage - Zero

yes you can, no problem, It wont last tho and will take a heck of a lot of emulsion to do it.
>> It wont last tho and will take a heck ofa lot of emulsion to do it.

I agree it could take a lot of paint, but why wouldn't it last? Unless the bricks are crumbly, I guess.
 painting the garage - Zero
>> >> It wont last tho and will take a heck ofa lot of emulsion to
>> do it.
>>
>> I agree it could take a lot of paint, but why wouldn't it last? Unless
>> the bricks are crumbly, I guess.

It tends to flake off brick
 painting the garage - Clk Sec
>>It tends to flake off brick

Hasn't on mine.
 painting the garage - Lygonos
>>It tends to flake off brick

>>Hasn't on mine.

Depends on the brick and the humidity/dampness I expect.

My house and garage are largely made from engineering brick which is virtually impermeable to water.

The outside of the house was painted with brick red (how imaginative...) masonry paint about 15 years ago and is still almost perfect.

the guy along the road painted his garden wall (regular brick) with magnolia paint and it needs touched up every 3 years or so.

painting the garage - Lygonos
>>My house and garage are largely made from engineering brick which is virtually impermeable to water

And also fkn hard - the guy who fitted our car charger had to drill through the 3 wythe outer wall to fit a cable and said it was by far the toughest wall he'd had to get through.
 painting the garage - Clk Sec
Did mine about a decade ago to brighten it up a bit and apart from the odd scuff here and there, it will last another few years.
 painting the garage - tyrednemotional
...as you've offered....it could do with a bit of a spruce-up.......

;-)
 painting the garage - zippy
Would masonry paint be a better bet?
 painting the garage - Ambo
I guess it would. I had a garden wall painted with stuff left over from house painting and after about 5 years it looks as fresh as when it was applied. The wall is however of cement blocks, not brick.

I might have saved on paint had it been sized first.
 painting the garage - Kevin
If it's bare brick I'd be tempted to spray it with a 50/50 emulsion/water mixture first. You can buy manual pump sprayers for £10 to £15.
>> You can buy manual pump sprayers for £10 to £15.

You can indeed and I thought they represented my salvation on a somewhat larger painting task.

They're s***. Perhaps they work on an ordinary internal plasterboard wall but on a large brick wall I'd have been better with a balloon and a used straw.
 painting the garage - Kevin
They're fine if the liquid is thin enough. I bought one for spraying fence panels and it worked a treat.
Mmm, I guess the "thin enough" might have been my downfall.

One day I might climb over the fence and see if I can find it.
>> Mmm, I guess the "thin enough" might have been my downfall.
>>
>>

....he meant the paint, not you! ;-)
 painting the garage - bathtub tom
>> They're fine if the liquid is thin enough. I bought one for spraying fence panels
>> and it worked a treat.

I've seen the result of folk doing that. The neighbours were not pleased with the overspray going over their houses. cars and washing.
 painting the garage - sherlock47
The neighbours were not pleased with the overspray going over their houses. cars and washing.

and if it was creosote, the vets bills - dogs IIRC are particularly at risk. Not to good for humans either.
 painting the garage - slowdown avenue
ok thanks I,am going to do it. I,ve a couple of litres of old paint on a shelf in my garage, would be better off with on the walls.
 painting the garage - CGNorwich
I think you will need a lot more than two litres of emulsion to paint an average sized garage!

If you want to do it properly use a primer first. Cement mortar is alkaline and will cause the paint to fail eventally if te wall is not sealed.

If you want a quick bodge water down th emulsion 50/50 for the first coat. Use a brush to paint to paint the mortar to ensure coverage and then a roller.

To be honest I would nevr paint brick especially outside. It creates a job that has to be repeated everything few years and can never be undone.
 painting the garage - legacylad
I painted the inside of my 20’x20’ garage a few years ago. Breeze block finish. Initially 5/10 litres of stabilising solution applied with a long haired roller. Then first coat using left over light coloured emulsion paints mixed together. Second coat a good quality masonry paint. The roller didn’t fully cover the ‘dimples’ in the breeze block so I used a large brush to get full coverage.
Took me about 4 full days and a bit but a great excuse to declutter the garage, fit new HD racking down both sides and reorganise all my toys. Very therapeutic and 4 days listening to my fav music on Spotify.
Still looks like new
Regards, Capt. Smug
Last edited by: legacylad on Sun 28 Jul 19 at 11:05
 painting the garage - Bromptonaut
>> The neighbours were not pleased with the overspray going over their houses. cars and washing.

Needs to be absolute zero wind. Sprayed our fence about 10 years ago. Tiniest of breezes but the stuff blew ten or fifteen feet onto kitchen windows and Mrs B's car. Came off both with a bit of elbow grease.

The wheely bin got absolutely splattered. At some point subsequently the bin men must have put it back in wrong drive. Next door now have the splattered one. Wouldn't have noticed in winter when bin goes out in dark in evening and it's still dark at 07:30 when it gets pulled back in.
>>
>> and if it was creosote..........
>>

...banned for sale to the general public since 2003.

I cleared my shed out in the hot weather last week, and found a container of it hidden away behind everything. It went to the local household waste centre, where it had to go with the hazardous chemicals.

painting the garage - Robin O'Reliant
I have concrete fence posts where the panels just lift out. When they need recoating I just take each one to a secluded corner of the garden and spray them, takes no time at all. You do need a calm day and preferably a big sheet of plastic as a makeshift spray booth.
 painting the garage - legacylad
I sprayed similar fence panels for a friend. Laid down the panels on her lawn over cardboard with a huge overlap. But it needs to be a no wind day ! A friend of mine tried using a spray gun for the inside of his garage blockwork. Gave up and used a roller and brush
Latest Forum Posts