Non-motoring > Wales Tax / Insurance / Warranties
Thread Author: No FM2R Replies: 64

Wales - No FM2R

Changed my mind. Can't be a***d. Suffice to say I do not support Welsh Independence.
Last edited by: No FM2R on Mon 29 Jul 19 at 18:48
 Wales - smokie
OK, thanks for sharing. But where do you stand on Lidl dishwasher tablets? :-)
 Wales - No FM2R
I had just been watching BBC Wales and they had a long article on Welsh independence, Wales' share of Government expenditure and how Wales would be so much richer independent.

Utter, utter garbage and so I posted one of those bad-tempered missives that I tend to post when vexed by a***holes.

Then thought better of it. But since one cannot delete, one needs to edit. And I thought that posting a small message would suffice.
Last edited by: No FM2R on Mon 29 Jul 19 at 19:34
 Wales - Duncan
Never mind all that.

If Wales does leave the United Kingdom, will we still be able to use Wales as a unit of measurement?
 Wales - VxFan
>> will we still be able to use Wales as a unit of measurement?

News of that hasn't leeked out yet.
 Wales - No FM2R
But on the subject of dishwashers do you know you can't buy *@~!*@ dishwasher cleaner here? How stupid is that?!?
 Wales - BiggerBadderDave
Dishwashers can be a big cause of arguments. In my house, anyway.

Firstly, she puts loads of things in there, then a couple of huge salad bowls over them. So the jets never wash everything properly. I tell her it's like reading a book that's wrapped up in a magazine. I just wash the the huge salad bowls by hand (45 seconds) then everything gets washed properly.

Secondly, she cuts her bread or slices her meat with a big knife then puts in the dishwasher. Drives me mad. Wipe and put it back! Otherwise it's out of action till she runs the dishwasher. And there's only one of each. Loads of cups, forks, and saucers but one bread knife. One meat-slicing knife.
 Wales - helicopter
A cup of white vinegar and a cup of baking soda can be used to clean dishwashers according to Google.
Hopefully they are available in Chile.
Last edited by: helicopter on Mon 29 Jul 19 at 19:58
 Wales - No FM2R
I'm sure they are. But I have this fixation on getting the "correct" stuff even when it seems pointless. It makes no sense, I know, but there you are.
 Wales - No FM2R
..though if all else fails, I wonder if that would control the limescale as well as the grease.
 Wales - smokie
There was a reason for mention of Lidl tablets...

They are something like 5p per wash.

It's the sort of thing I stock up on when I think I've found a bargain.

So I had 2 boxes of them in the garage.

We ran out of the usual Finish 3 In 1 tabs.

The Lidl ones don't get tea stains off cups!!!

Wales - No FM2R
Please dispatch Finish tablets, also Finish Dishwasher cleaner forthwith.
 Wales - Lygonos
Hard water in Santiago?
 Wales - No FM2R
I think so.
 Wales - No FM2R
I checked, apparently the water is very hard. It also has a s***load of chlorine and fluoride in it. Essentially safe but tastes like s***.
 Wales - bathtub tom
>> Hard water in Santiago?

Don't you put salt in your dishwasher?
 Wales - Lygonos
>>Don't you put salt in your dishwasher?

No. Water is very soft - had never seen scale in a kettle 'til I went on holiday to England.

I use Finish all-in-one tablets (well the ones with a red smartie in the middle).
 Wales - commerdriver
>> No. Water is very soft - had never seen scale in a kettle 'til I
>> went on holiday to England.
>>
One of the many things I miss from Glasgow
 Wales - bathtub tom
>> There was a reason for mention of Lidl tablets...
>> They are something like 5p per wash.
>> The Lidl ones don't get tea stains off cups!!!

We're on our nth dishwasher. They use less water than than earlier ones that used to take either liquid or powder detergent, so you could regulate the amount depending on how dirty the contents were.
Now you can only seem to get tablets, I experimented with using half a tablet. Seems to work just as well. Even gets tea stains off.
I've used citric acid to clean and descale dishwashers and washing machines. Got thoroughly quizzed when I bought it once. Found out it's used to 'cut' drugs.

Dishwashers tablets are excellent for cleaning out the cooling system after a blown head gasket. Just pop one or two in the radiator, but do flush the stuff out after, they're a very strong detergent.

Dishwashers are excellent for cleaning wheel trims and other car parts. I've learnt only to do this when SWMBO's out for at least the length of a full cycle.
 Wales - Duncan
>> Dishwashers are excellent for cleaning wheel trims and other car parts. I've learnt only to
>> do this when SWMBO's out for at least the length of a full cycle.
>>

They are very good for getting all the crud out from the recesses of my electric shaver head.

I make a point of not telling anyone when I am doing it!
 Wales - smokie
The pack of Finish 4-in-1 Powerball I have says "Suitable for septic tanks."

Two things crossed my mind...

That seems an odd place to be washing your dishes but each to his own.

Or

I wonder if they swallow them or put them in the tradesman's entrance?

Wales - henry k
>>I've used citric acid to clean and descale dishwashers and washing machines.
I also use it for removing any water stains but it will damage poor chrome plating and similar.

>> Got thoroughly quizzed when I bought it once. Found out it's used to 'cut' drugs.

There are at least two versions of Citric acid on sale
The BP version from chemists that we used for making lemonade and that is very fine and perfect for cutting drugs.
The other non BP is quite coarse crystals and I buy it from my local DIY place.
Never been asked "What is it for?" :-(
 Wales - Manatee
>> A cup of white vinegar and a cup of baking soda can be used to
>> clean dishwashers according to Google.
>> Hopefully they are available in Chile.

Does the stuff that cleans the pots not also clean the dishwasher? If it needs a bit more oomph put two pills in. Seems to have worked for us for about 30 years.
 Wales - Robin O'Reliant
>> .
>>
>> Changed my mind. Can't be a***d. Suffice to say I do not support Welsh Independence.
>>

Neither do most people in Wales.
 Wales - No FM2R
I hope that is the case. I remember my Grandfather was vitriolic on the subject of Welsh Nationalists. He even disliked Max Boyce for it.
 Wales - Robin O'Reliant
Wales has too large a public sector to be independent, and a high proportion of those in the private sector are low paid self-employed. There are nationalist fanatics, but there is very little of the anti-English sentiment that you get in Scotland.

Wales - Zero
Dishwasher? Hmmm I know I fitted one when I did the kitchen, no idea where it is now. It was a really good one, fully automatic, even gathers the dirty crockery off the table when my back is turned.
 Wales - Duncan
I suppose if push comes to shove and we can't use Wales as our unit of measurement, we could always use the fall-back option.

Belgium.
 Wales - legacylad
This thread reminded me that it was last August I walked the Pembrokeshire Coast Path. It exceeded my expectations, and apart from pouring rain with an enforced day off over the Bank Holiday it was marvellous.
Last night I bought a guidebook for the next section of the Wales Coast Path, Porthmadog to Cardigan but this time walking N>S, hopefully early September.
I bought the guidebook online from WHSmith...free collection from my local store. A shop I rarely frequent these days.
 Wales - helicopter
WH Smiths are a rare visit for me as well.I only visit because
the Main Post Office in town was moved into the back of their store in the shopping centre and they appear to be hosting lots of Post Offices all over the country.

I believe that most of their profit comes from their airport duty free operations rather than the High Street.
 Wales - smokie
Our Post Office has moved into Smiths quite recently. There was a reasonable amount of opposition but being an extremely irregular user I couldn't see what the fuss was about. Not been to the new one yet though.
 Wales - CGNorwich
I guess it’s “progress” but it does seem a shame that most of our high street post offices are now closed together with the banks and a goood proportion of the shops.
 Wales - Duncan
>> I guess it’s “progress” but it does seem a shame that most of our high
>> street post offices are now closed together with the banks and a goood proportion of
>> the shops.

Because people simply aren't using High Street places as they once did.

I wandered past my bank the other day and thought 'shall I go in? 'What for?

I rarely write a cheque these days.
Statements? I can get those online.
Payments? Credit card, debit card, or bank transfer.

The Burtons in Walton closed a while back.

The tumbleweed is blowing down the High Street.
 Wales - smokie
I was on a local forum a while back, and they were saying that the imminent town regeneration should bring in interesting shops like antiques places (yawn!), at the expense of the chain stores.

I did ask how much they'd be prepared to spend per week in an antique shop to ensure it's survival but answer there came none.
 Wales - CGNorwich
Yes I know the reasons but we do seem to be casually inadvertently destroying so much that made our towns and villages pleasant places. The pubs are disappearing, the shops awe going as well as the banks and post offices, Small community hospitals have gone for the most part, bus services are trimmed to the most basic.
 Wales - Bromptonaut
Visit WHS perhaps once or twice a month either to pick up a couple of magazines or the liquid ink ballpoints I prefer for work.

Local store has recently moved from one side of shopping precinct to another and reduced in size by around 75%.

Store on station which I think is a Select Service Partner franchise probably turns over more.
 Wales - legacylad
The only WHS I used on a regular basis was at my local airport, where I got a free bottle of water with the Torygraph. So basically a free paper. That offer finished a few months ago so now I don’t bother.
 Wales - VxFan
I think the last time I went into a WH Smith was well over 2 years ago. And that was just to get an Apple iTunes gift voucher for my niece as they had some kind of promotion on at the time. Not needed to go in one since.
 Wales - devonite
Our P.O is also the major part of a W.H.S, and being a lowish employment type of town, I would say it's the most used shop in our town! - even a trip to the corner shop has to start at the P.O! ;-)
 Wales - sooty123
I think I've been in a WH Smith once this year, don't really see them anymore.
 Wales - Robin O'Reliant
I'm amazed that Argos are still going. High prices even compared to other retail outfits let alone the web, no chance to view the goods properly before you buy and uninviting stores. My local one is nearly always empty.
 Wales - Zero
>> I'm amazed that Argos are still going. High prices even compared to other retail outfits
>> let alone the web, no chance to view the goods properly before you buy and
>> uninviting stores. My local one is nearly always empty.

Their staff costs are low, their distribution chain and stocking is finely tuned and honed over many years, their rent costs are low because they go out of town where they can, often on industrial estates, and the catalogue business ported to the web / amazon format easily.

(they even use their distribution chain to now act as an ebay pickup)

Wales - sooty123
I use argos quite a bit i think they are good price. Last couple of presents were cheaper there than online, they sell a wide selection of stuff as well. There click and collect has always been easy and fast, I'll keep getting stuff from there.
 Wales - smokie
Also they are store-sharing a bit - there are two inside Sainsbury's near me. That must be a win-win for each store.
 Wales - VxFan
Quite a few Argos's have moved into Sainsbury's as the latter bought them out in 2016.
 Wales - zippy
I see Argos has moved in to many Sainsburys stores after Sainburys purchased the business in 2016 and this must help the business, increasing brand visibility.

Odd that you can buy some things cheaper in the in store Argos than you can in the main Sainburys supermarket.

Argos gets (makes) its suppliers to pay for their products to appear in its catalogue and on its website.

They also charge suppliers a fee for returns and then put all goods in a skip when returned giving the supplier a limited timescale to collect the goods if they want to.

Suppliers can take a discount (about 5%) to not have returns deducted.

Their last accounts showed turnover of £4.2 billion on which they made a loss of £160 million (including a £149 million exceptional items - PPI, restructuring costs etc).

The business has a net worth of £571 million, including goodwill and other intangibles and a TNW of £319 million. There are investments in other companies of £154 million.

I do wonder what Sainbury's long term view is, because if losses continue at these levels (PPI may be a factor) then the net worth of the business will quickly be eroded.

(Amazon's UK turnover for 2018 was about £11 billion).
 Wales - VxFan
>> Argos - no chance to view the goods properly before you buy

My local Argos are always fine with me asking if I can look a the product beforehand. Get taken to the customer services/enquires area and they proceed to open the packaging prior to buying.

If not happy with product after 'x' days, then take back for an exchange or refund. Obviously there are a few products exempt from this.
 Wales - BiggerBadderDave
"I think I've been in a WH Smith once this year"

Twice every month for me. Before I go into departures and when I get out of arrivals. Need a paper and a magazine, usually Empire or Rolling Stone. Wouldn't visit one in a shopping mall.
 Wales - sooty123
I normally take a book when I used to fly more than now. A magazine didn't last long enough. I try to get a thick book to last the journey door to door. Currently working my way through; the german war, a nation under arms.
 Wales - CGNorwich
Read most books these days on Kindle. The ability to increase print size is a major asset as youreyesight declines! Also listen to a lot of books on Audio. Noise cancelling wireless headphones are fantastic. They cut out hoovering and Smooth Radio as well as they cut out jet engines!
Last edited by: CGNorwich on Wed 31 Jul 19 at 19:10
 Wales - sooty123
I'm not sure I could get on with a kindle. Alot of the books I read have photos and/or maps that I make reference to when reading. Probably the same reason audio books wouldn't really something for me.
 Wales - Robin O'Reliant
I have a Kindle....somewhere.

Not for me I'm afraid, I just can't get on with them. I'd like to try audiobooks as I do enjoy a good radio play.
 Wales - smokie
SWMBO is an avid reader but was dead against a Kindle. She said a book wouldn't be a book if she couldn't hold it.

I got fed up with her taking 7 or 8 books on a two weeks holiday, soaking up the luggage allowance, so I went out on a limb and got her a Kindle for Christmas (2017 I think)

She can hardly put it down now, she absolutely loves it. Really portable and easy to read in all light, long battery life, and she can carry round plenty of reads and download more as required. She keeps it with her a lot of the time and where I would play some mindless game is a queue or on a train she will read a bit. Also if she wakes up in the night (which she often does) she can read without putting the light on.

Mostly she only gets cheap books - which she used to do anyway, from the charity shop, but it certainly is no more expensive to run.

I get that it wouldn't be for all kinds of reading but if you've not tried one I'd say it would be worth doing so.
 Wales - tyrednemotional
The local library has an enormous catalogue of ebooks, available free much like your physical book, but not in a form compatible with a Kindle.

Hence both SWMBO (who reads more avidly than I do, and had/has an early Kindle) and myself use a free eReader app on an android tablet, to which 5 "books" can be downloaded at any one time.

They used to expire at an interval defined at download (and a maximum of 21 days) and couldn't be "returned" before this interval expired. This combined with the limit of 5 at any one time made planning for a holiday "interesting".

Following system upgrade, one can now "return" at any point up to the maximum 21 days, freeing up a further download.

In addition, when the service started, downloads were only allowed within the UK (by IP address) but this was subsequently relaxed.

Whilst the battery life of a tablet used for reading is nowhere near that of a Kindle, it is sufficient to be functional between normal recharges. Given that we carry the tablets on holiday anyway for all sorts of reference material, and for internet access, we now have an ideal holiday reading solution, with a virtually limitless library available.
 Wales - smokie
It was partly he experience with ebooks on Android which set SWMBO so strongly anti them. The screen is simply not bright enough, and not easily visible enough, especially out and about - just compare it to a Paperwhite Kindle to see what I mean.

Having said that I reckon I could cope with an Android for occasional only use. But my mobile entertainment tends to be aural - music and recorded radio comedy.
 Wales - No FM2R
Bit surprised by that, my Huawei will go very unpleasantly bright. Perhaps you had your screen on auto?
 Wales - tyrednemotional
I also are surprise!

As noted above, SWMBO started with eBooks using a Kindle. The migration to Android was because of the convenience of the free public library books. She now has the choice of either device, but the Kindle is largely drawer-bound.

I use the same combination, but on a different tablet. I can't say either of us has ever had a difficulty in reading outdoors (given the motorcaravan, much of the holiday time we have - when I do most of my reading - is spent outdoors).

Maybe different eReaders render differently. We both use Aldiko which has a significant level of adjustability, and will even reverse to "negative" format.
 Wales - CGNorwich
Best of all is WhisperSync. Audible combined with Kindle. Magically allows you to read yourself but if you fancy being read to will take over where you left off.and vice verse. A real luxury.

Wales - Robin O'Reliant
I may investigate that.
 Wales - Crankcase
>>They cut out hoovering and Smooth Radio as well as
>> they cut out jet engines!

Crikey. If I were sitting reading with headphones whilst Mrs C was hoovering the rest of my day wouldn't be very peaceful.
 Wales - CGNorwich
You won't hear her if you keep the headphones on. Make sure you take them off to check if dinner is ready.
 Wales - Crankcase
>> You won't hear her if you keep the headphones on. Make sure you take them
>> off to check if dinner is ready.

I can't cook my dinner with headphones on. I'd not hear the toast boil over.
 Wales - R.P.
Big mistake in the independence debate in Wales is the that the country voted to leave the EU in 2016. I don't think that the current set-up has covered itself in glory. Complacent Labour government. What I don't get is people from Wales voting for UKIP which is essentially an English Nationalist Party.
 Wales - Lygonos

Greed and envy won the EU vote.

Very common political motivators.
 Wales - CGNorwich
Throw in suspicion of foreigners and you are onto a winner.

There has never been an Altruistic Party.
Latest Forum Posts