Non-motoring > No 237 Miscellaneous
Thread Author: CGNorwich Replies: 20

No 237 - CGNorwich
Hotel Duvets. Why don’t they provide some light weight covering in the summer. Stayed in a nice inn in Oakham on Wednesday, the hottest day ever recorded. The bed had a 13.5 tog duvet!

No 237 - PeterS
Just set the air-con to 16 degrees then.... ;)

I guess storing hundreds of duvets could be problematic...?
 No 237 - CGNorwich
Aircon? I don’t think 18th century inns had it installed. Nice sash windows though.
Last edited by: CGNorwich on Mon 29 Jul 19 at 19:56
 No 237 - No FM2R
I am allergic to feathers. Very, very allergic. Hospital allergic.

Trying to convince hotels to remove their feather duvets and feather pillows is an a***. I cannot sleep if they are even in the room.

And all you hear is " oh but feathers are sooo much nicer". I've slept in many a hotel room with the bedding out in the corridor.
 No 237 - sooty123
I've stayed in hotels with choices of pillows but I've never heard of one with choice of duvet. I guess they are out there?
 No 237 - Bromptonaut
I think the duvet norm in chain hotels is hypo allergenic polyester, generic variations on what used to be marketed as hollofibre. Avoids the allergy issue and is easier to keep clean.

Pillows are another kettle of fish.

Thinking back 40 years one or two of my colleagues loved booking their work stays in private B&B on grounds of a feather mattress and eiderdown.
 No 237 - CGNorwich
“Pillows are another kettle of fish.”

That a very rough hotel
 No 237 - No FM2R
>>I think the duvet norm in chain hotels

Indeed. That and many more similar affectations are the reasons why I avoid 'boutique' places like the very plague.

Give me a Marriott anytime. At least you always know what you will get. Very customer oriented. My only exceptions being New York (Waldorf) Las Vegas (MGM) and London (Cumberland).
 No 237 - Kevin
>Give me a Marriott anytime. At least you always know what you will get.

Like McDonalds?
 No 237 - No FM2R
Pretty much. Though I'd rather have burger & chips in a bar.
 No 237 - Kevin
>Pretty much. Though I'd rather have burger & chips in a bar.

So would I. But, having said that, I've spent a lot of my working life staying in hotels and there are few things I hate more than sitting on my own in a hotel restaurant or bar eating on my own surrounded by other suits doing the same - most of them pretending to be doing something important on their phone or fondleslab.
 No 237 - No FM2R
I can't say I liked eating alone in a bar, but room service is about as sad as it gets when you're on your own and haven't really got anything to do anyway.

I used to work late, read a book while I ate in the bar and sleep. If I was somewhere interesting, or somewhere I hadn't been much, I used to walk quite a bit.

Occasionally I used to pretend I was going to get a gym routine going, or swimming, but it never lasted.

There is very little that will get me on a plane or in a hotel these days and nothing which will make me happy about doing it. A far cry from how much I loved it and was excited by it when I started to travel a gazillion years ago.
 No 237 - commerdriver
>> A far cry from how much I loved it and was excited by it when I started to
>> travel a gazillion years ago.
>>
I k now the feeling, the air miles and hotel free nights are very hard earned and by the time you have loads you really don't want to use them.

SWMBO always asks why to big hotels give out points in thousands then charge thousands for a free night?
 No 237 - Duncan
>> >Give me a Marriott anytime. At least you always know what you will get.
>>
>> Like McDonalds?
>>

Or Wetherspoons?
 No 237 - CGNorwich
They should use summer weight and winter weight. 13.5 tog is enough for an unseated room in an Aberdeen hotel in January. We have 4.5 tog on our bed at the moment. We have a one tog for very warm nights.
 No 237 - sooty123
When it's a warm night we just take the duvet out and just use the cover as a sheet.
 No 237 - Bromptonaut
>> They should use summer weight and winter weight

Mrs B and I cannot agree right weight at ANY time of year. She just runs hotter than I do.
 No 237 - No FM2R
There's probably an amusing answer to that, but it escapes me.
 No 237 - Robin O'Reliant
I can think of a few, but I'd only get banned.
 No 237 - Duncan
CG Norwich said:-

>> an unseated
>> room in an Aberdeen hotel

I thought it was standard practice to remove seats from all rooms in Scottish hotels?

Those Jocks will use anything once the fight starts!
Last edited by: Duncan on Tue 30 Jul 19 at 07:20
 No 237 - R.P.
I was in Huntingdon week last Sunday. I slept on the bed rather than under the duvet. No risk from Mosquitos even that far south ;-)..

I also stayed in another hotel on the way home. The duvet was the last thing on my mind - the room stank - it even made the lining of my textile riding suit stink. There was a "Kwik Fit" at the back of the hotel, that was fully operational at 6:00am and woke me from a deep sleep. Breakfast was b***** awful.
Latest Forum Posts