Non-motoring > Aircraft tracking. Miscellaneous
Thread Author: sherlock47 Replies: 14

Aircraft tracking. - sherlock47
Knowing that there are several avid aircraft followers on here....

I use www.flightradar24.com and www.adsbexchange.com/ but nether track the firefighting (and spotter) aircraft that are active here in the S of France MPL area.

Any advice on sites that track these aircraft. Impressive when you see them in the flesh, dropping water and or chemical fire retardant.
 Aircraft tracking. - Bromptonaut
A lot of stuff is filtered off FR24, particularly military and some business and VIP flights. The RAF A400M transports that grumble over here 2-3 times a day never show on FR24. Neither did a Middle East Royal Flight Flight 737 BBJ that came by yesterday on a descent profile suggesting it was bound for Manchester (or Leeds).

If they don't show on adsbexchange then probability is they're not transmitting the location/altitude etc messages that these systems use for tracking.

If you're really keen you can buy kit and set up you're own tracking station:

shop.pimoroni.com/products/dvb-t-dongle-ideal-for-ads-b-real-time-plane-tracking?variant=4107355591

www.gps.co.uk/dynon-drx--portable-dual-band-ads-b-traffic-and-weather-receiver/p-0-3197/

I have a dongle similar to that in first link but never got round to using it for this purpose.
Last edited by: Bromptonaut on Sun 18 Aug 19 at 15:45
Too late to edit:

FR24 and adsbexchange aggregate info from people with tracker boxes. Low flying aircraft can be out of range of base stations as the signals are UHF Hi and pretty much line of sight.

Also, some types only transmit limited data and their position is estimated by multi lateration from several sources. Low flying will make that multi-lateration drop out - quite common to see low flying single and twin engine piston types suddenly disappear as they descend.

Last edited by: Bromptonaut on Sun 18 Aug 19 at 16:01
Thankyou for that comprehensive reply.

I had been aware that FR24 did not show military - I have seen them on ADSB interesting watching a tanker presumably flying training patterns over the med at the mouth of the Rhone.

Your suggestion that since these aircraft are at low altitude will result in less than perfect coverage reception. although locally do see some gliders and hot air balloons. I think that they do supply receiver locations somewhere on the site. So I will look at that.

We regularly get pairs of smaller search aircraft ( I think they maybe equipped with some limited fire retardant quantities), before they call in the heavy weights. It would just be interesting to know exactly where the fires are when you see plumes of smoke across the valley. We have had them within 1k of the house, it makes you watch the wind direction and progress. Although very few houses actually get burnt in small villages, I have several friends who live in isolated houses about 3k outside the village who have been told to evacuate.
>> I had been aware that FR24 did not show military - I have seen them
>> on ADSB interesting watching a tanker presumably flying training patterns over the med at the
>> mouth of the Rhone.

Most military aircraft just don't show on FR24. As well as the RAF A400M flights I mentioned before we also get US transports back and forth over here including C5, Hercules and Bell Ospreys. I can see them and hear them but no trace on FR24.

Civil stuff that may be 'commercially sensitive' shows but just with aircraft type and perhaps height/speed info but nothing else. Some just show as BLOCKED. Just seen a T-tail twin engine business jet type go over here. FR24 just shows it as GLEX (a Bombardier Global Express) with speed height info and evident from it's track that it left from Luton. Over on exchange it's shown as NJE (netjets) 233U and registration CS-GLG. Got to a max of 18000feet and now descending and heading NW - I'd hazard a guess it's on track towards the Trent (TNT) waypoint near Carsington Water and bound for Manchester but could be Liverpool, Hawarden or Warton.
Last edited by: Bromptonaut on Sun 18 Aug 19 at 18:18
 Aircraft tracking. - sooty123
Some military stuff is visible if you're into tracking websites and want to watch them. Lots of the voyager stuff will be, trails, training, q tanker launches etc.
>> Your suggestion that since these aircraft are at low altitude will result in less than
>> perfect coverage reception. although locally do see some gliders and hot air balloons. I think
>> that they do supply receiver locations somewhere on the site. So I will look at
>> that.

As a footnote to this I was at Luton on Sunday dropping Mrs B off for a conference in Bologna. Having seen her through to security I picked up my binocs and scanner radio from the car to observe proceedings from the car park fence. Wind east(ish) and runway in use 08 so some really close quarters views of planes.

Normally I can see 'live' flights during push/start and taxi. But on this occasion departures were only visible once airborne. Luton of course is on a hilltop so presumably local FR24 contributors kit cannot 'see' movement on the ground.

While watching observed one of those minor incidents that show why aviators need to be on their toes. With a Ryanair 737 at perhaps five miles from touchdown an EasyJet Airbus enters the runway and gets take off clearance. Engines start to run up then spool down again and pilot says on R/T 'no go' as there's a bird directly in front of them on the runway; 'about the size of a chicken if it helps'. T/O clearance cancelled and RYR instructed to 'go around' while airfield ops chase off the errant Pheasant.

Clearly mucked up plans for a bit as next few to land were all cautioned to expect late landing clearance.
 Aircraft tracking. - zippy
>> While watching observed one of those minor incidents that show why aviators need to be
>> on their toes. With a Ryanair 737 at perhaps five miles from touchdown an EasyJet
>> Airbus enters the runway and gets take off clearance. Engines start to run up then
>> spool down again and pilot says on R/T 'no go' as there's a bird directly
>> in front of them on the runway; 'about the size of a chicken if it
>> helps'. T/O clearance cancelled and RYR instructed to 'go around' while airfield ops chase off
>> the errant Pheasant.
>>
>> Clearly mucked up plans for a bit as next few to land were all cautioned
>> to expect late landing clearance.
>>

I suspect the planes behind the 777 that crashed (luckily with no fatalities) at Heathrow were on their toes sharpish with go around commands and diverts etc. Would expect the radio chatter would have been quite revealing.

I recall a TV show in the early 2000 which dramatised a disaster at Heathrow - a plane late landing hits one taking off or something. ATC were working overtime due to a major crash on the M25 and were exhausted. Book was through at a junior ATC who was prosecuted.
>>>I recall a TV show in the early 2000 <<<

There was a very similar R4 radio play about 3? years ago - not sure it was LHR - for some reason Bristol keeps popping up in my brain. If anybody can find it, it is worth a listen.

Try www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b08fhv1t
but not currently available.
Last edited by: sherlock47 on Wed 28 Aug 19 at 14:12
 Aircraft tracking. - R.P.
An Ukrainian AN14 flew overhead yesterday - unusual engine sounds took me to flightradar. Been a busy day here today, a Beluga coming out of Broughton and a couple of Ospreys flying low enough to be seen and heard (eyeball Identification)
>> An Ukrainian AN14 flew overhead yesterday - unusual engine sounds took me to flightradar. Been
>> a busy day here today, a Beluga coming out of Broughton and a couple of
>> Ospreys flying low enough to be seen and heard (eyeball Identification)

Do you mean AN-14, a light twin piston jobbie? It's Russian name Pchelka translates as 'Little Bee' but in NATO parlance it's a 'Clod'. Wiki suggests they're rare birds these day.

The AN-24, Soviet counterpart to the Fokker F27 or Handley Page Herald, is fairly common. We get them, or their big brother the 4 engine AN12, round here most days bound for BHX. Both are utilised by various Ukrainian outfits for cargo, said to be mostly late running just in time stuff for the West Mids motor industry. Suspect Speke will get them for same reason bearing in mind proximity of JLR and Vauxhall plants.

Been up your way last couple of days helping daughter and husband move int their new gaff near Wepre Park (Connah's Quay). Several Belugas around today, not sure whether they were original A300 based type or the new 'Super' version based on A330. As I was on furniture assembly duty I couldn't fire up FR24 to ascertain detail.

Later, while at Cheshire Oaks, there was an A400M buzzing round. Thought at time it might have been doing something at Liverpool; they're fairly regular visitors to Leeds and other regional airports but looking at runway alignment more likely it was doing stuff at what I have to learn to call 'Harden'.
Last edited by: Bromptonaut on Thu 29 Aug 19 at 20:50
Baltics rival Ukraine as port of registry for these 'Trampships'.

AN-26 YL-RAB just bumbled over; arrived at BHX from Leipzig yesterday, now probably on it's way back.

Their are some weird movements at night. B738 SP-ESF just gone by from KANGERLUSSUAQ to not known operated by Enterair as ENT57W.

Oddly is a 737 8AS which would be a machine originally destined for Ryanair.
Whilst ADSB exchange may show stuff that's not on FR24 its data can be pretty flaky.

Currently showing flight from Manchester to Norwich with callsign LOG91WLT The operator though shows as the now defunct British Midland Regional and registration as G-RJXK. As callsign implies it's now Loganair and the aircraft has been re-registered as G-SAJU some months ago.

On another note heard an odd whistling engine tone over here about 17:00. Too much cloud to see it but both adsb exchange and FR24 showed it as Boeing 727 G-OSRB, one of the machines contracted for pollution control and equipped for spraying dispersant on oil slicks. Out of Lasham and landed at Doncaster/Sheffield.
 Aircraft tracking. - Kevin
Mrs K remarked about a "funny sounding plane with a red tailfin" that flew low over our place yesterday afternoon. Probably G-OSRB as we're only a few miles from Lasham.
 Aircraft tracking. - Fursty Ferret
>>I suspect the planes behind the 777 that crashed (luckily with no fatalities) at Heathrow
>>were on their toes sharpish with go around commands and diverts etc. Would expect
>>the radio chatter would have been quite revealing.

It's on YouTube.
www.youtube.com/watch?v=cCK62U6Fob0
Latest Forum Posts