Ask Google; - Fullchat
Who knew !?

Must be a quiet day :))
 Ask Google; - No FM2R
>> Who knew !?
>>
>> Must be a quiet day :))

Bored. Really, really, bored.

Had an accident recently and currently have one fully functioning limb out of a previous total of four.

Various painkillers mean I can't even console myself with drink.
 Ask Google; - Robin O'Reliant
>> >>
>> Had an accident recently and currently have one fully functioning limb out of a previous
>> total of four.
>>
>>

Do tell, unless of course you were up to something you'd rather we didn't know....
 Ask Google; - No FM2R
I walked out onto an open plan staircase landing on the 2nd floor and leaned backwards against the stair rail to pass opinion on some higher up wall/ceiling repairs needed.

Sadly the stair rail had been removed the previous week. It was rather along way down onto a stone floor.

I was lucky, it could have been a lot worse than merely injured.
 Ask Google; - Zero
Unless things are broken, its merely man flu.

Apparently

I have been told

Often
 Ask Google; - No FM2R
Some bits are broken. Fortunately not too many bits. Many other bits are severely dented, bruised, bleeding or torn depending on their original function.
Lucky one there Mark, it could have been so much worse. My old man met his demise falling down a flight of stairs.
 Ask Google; - No FM2R
Falling down the stairs would have been bad, but at least it probably have been just one floor. I fell completely off the b***** staircase. Straight down.

Quite a lot of my current difficulties are because I managed to get my arm in between my head and the ground, so I'm not complaining [much].

I was also lucky that the place is old, so the second floor was not as high up as it would have been in a modern building.
 Ask Google; - Fullchat
Oh dear! Speedy recovery wished.

Keep taking the Cornflakes you need your strength ;)
 Ask Google; - No FM2R
>> Oh dear! Speedy recovery wished.

Thank you. Though to be honest I've been hurt worse than this in the past and in reality pain doesn't affect me emotionally, it's just something to live through. Illness on the other hand really gets me down.

>> Keep taking the Cornflakes you need your strength ;)

Ah, so you did check Google. Whilst I might have the strength I think the jigging about would finish me off.
 Ask Google; - helicopter
Sorry to hear of your fall Mark.Hope you have a speedy recovery.

It could easily have been much worse

A good friend of mine in his fifties died falling down stairs in the middle of the night last October although in his case I understand a lot of alcohol had been taken...
 Ask Google; - Duncan
24 Hours in A & E will confirm your worst fears about men - of any age - going up ladders, or anything which is not at ground level.

Oh and avoid motor bikes, push bikes and anything which will propel you above a walking pace.
 Ask Google; - Zero

>> Thank you. Though to be honest I've been hurt worse than this in the past
>> and in reality pain doesn't affect me emotionally, it's just something to live through. Illness
>> on the other hand really gets me down.

Injury, even serious, is a bit of a known factor, something most of experience in some form or other. Its explainable, it has known resolutions, and it has fixed timescales. (usually)

Serious illness is, as you say, much more emotionally draining. Its cause can not be easily ascertained, there is an arbitrary nature about it - unfair almost - the "why me" factor. Cure is often complicated, unpleasant,and physically (stamina wise) debilitating with an element of doubt about its efficacy.

Plus there is something macho about falling off stuff, not so something clinical. Give me a broken hip over the big (or little c) every time.

And dont give us the bolleux about gin not helping, certainly dont let wives find out it dont.
 Ask Google; - No FM2R
Yes, all of that.

Except that the painkillers with alcohol makes me ill. I know, I've tried. Twice.
 Ask Google; - Crankcase
Add my "with best wishes for a speedy recovery" too, Mark.
 Ask Google; - No FM2R
Thank you to all. I think everybody around me is desperate for me to get better, also. I'm sure I heard the words "crabby b******" muttered underneath somebody's breath earlier.
Women DO NOT understand that pain is much more intense in men than it is in females. Only last week I was accused of making a fuss over nothing when I speared myself with a paperclip. You have my sympathy and understanding.
 Ask Google; - No FM2R
You'd think that since women give birth they'd have at least some idea of how bad pain in a man can be.

But they show no understanding or sympathy.
 Ask Google; - Rudedog
Two things..

I would say over 50% of 'man' injuries we see coming through the trauma theatre are related to either bikes (both types) or sports (football mainly), leg/ankle breaks, not nice to have to pull a patients leg when they have no connection between their lower leg and thigh to prepare it for nailing.

Maybe I haven't understanding the original question but I've virtually given up on Google as a search engine... too many Ad based replies that are irrelevant to my question or worst when they decide to 'remove' a word from my question to give me answers! No good when I'm looking for technical answers, remember the days when you could get a 'Google Whack'.

I've started to use DuckDuckGo, probably uses the same data but tends to display a less filtered set of replies.
 Ask Google; - Netsur
That sounds incredibly painful. Hope you heal up fully and quickly.

Several years ago a 67 year old member of staff slipped coming out of our office toilet which had a single shallow step outside onto a half landing. He broke both ankles.

Lovely man whose first thought was not 'how can I sue these people ' but 'how do I get my car home?'

Anyway, first diagnosis was that Type 2 diabetes was present but not previously aware although I'm not sure how this would cause him to slip. However a recent conversation with him indicated a more insidious genetic condition which meant that he is almost programmed to slip.

At least he retired in reasonable health in 2015 and being careful with his diet he should soldier on for a few years more. I hope so, he is the definition of a true gent.

Ask Google; - zippy
Speedy recovery Mark!

Ask Google; - No FM2R
Rudedog,

From Google...

"Dr Kellogg introduced Kellogg's Corn Flakes in hopes that it would reduce dyspepsia and, in accordance with the practices of the Seventh-day Adventists, masturbation and excessive sexual intercourse. "
 Ask Google; - tyrednemotional
...Weetabix, on the other hand......

;-)
 Ask Google; - Kevin
>Except that the painkillers with alcohol makes me ill. I know, I've tried. Twice.

I don't like taking pills and I've only needed strong painkillers for two injuries despite the repeated broken toes from kicking deck cleats. First time I fell out of a loft hatch and hit a landing handrail on the way down fracturing two ribs - b***** painful for a few weeks. Second time was a compression fracture of a lower vertebra - even more painful for longer.

I can't remember what the painkillers were but they didn't go well with alcohol. Caused constipation as well which made matters worse.

You have my sympathy.
 Ask Google; - Fullchat
" I can't remember what the painkillers were but they didn't go well with alcohol. Caused constipation as well which made matters worse."

Co-codamol?

:S
 Ask Google; - Kevin
>Co-codamol?

It could have been but I can tell you that trying to take a dump with a fractured spine and constipation.. Well, it aint easy.

The spinal fracture also prompted a case of shingles in my left ear which resulted in Bells Palsy. Took six months to recover from a silly mistake on an XL600 Dakar.
 Ask Google; - No FM2R
In my case I have two different ones. One is tramadol and the other is some Spanish name which I currently forget.
 Ask Google; - No FM2R
>> In my case I have two different ones. One is tramadol and the other is
>> some Spanish name which I currently forget.

The other drug is Ketorfreno.

Which I think is ketoprofen.
 Ask Google; - CGNorwich
I hope will find this of interest:-

"Experiments have found ketoprofen, like diclofenac, is a veterinary drug causing lethal effects in red-headed vultures. Vultures feeding on the carcasses of recently treated livestock suffer acute kidney failure within days of exposure."

Ask Google; - No FM2R
Good information.

Fortunately I am blond.
Last edited by: No FM2R on Sun 25 Aug 19 at 22:52
...but still a vulture.....?

:-o
 Ask Google; - VxFan
>> Fortunately I am blond.

Has it grown back since we last met then, or have you had a Rooney? ;)
 Ask Google; - Zero
I think blonde is a euphemism for bald.
 Ask Google; - No FM2R
Balding, most certainly. Shinier by the day. But still blond. The beard is fairly grey though.
>> Balding, most certainly. Shinier by the day. But still blond. The beard is fairly grey
>> though.
>>
I haven't got a grey hair in my head. Ice blonde all the way through.
 Ask Google; - Zero
>> I haven't got a grey hair in my head. Ice blonde all the way through.

I have brushed steel and silver highlights.....
Last edited by: Zero on Mon 26 Aug 19 at 17:36
 Ask Google; - Duncan
>> I can't remember what the painkillers were but they didn't go well with alcohol. Caused
>> constipation as well which made matters worse.

No s***?
 Ask Google; - bathtub tom
>> I can't remember what the painkillers were but they didn't go well with alcohol. Caused
>> constipation as well which made matters worse.

I came off my bike recently and landed heavily on my shoulder. I was prescribed codeine, which made me feel weird as well as causing constipation. Co-codamol and solpadeine also caused constipation and I came to the conclusion it's the codeine content.
 Ask Google; - Bromptonaut
>> Co-codamol and solpadeine also
>> caused constipation and I came to the conclusion it's the codeine content.

Well known side effect, IIRC it slows down the intestine. It's so effective that treating diarrhoea is a secondary use after pain killing

www.nhs.uk/medicines/codeine/
 Ask Google; - Runfer D'Hills
I come off my bike with depressing regularity.

I treat the injuries with swimming. Generally, that untangles you if you push through the initial discomfort.

If that fails, then there is always gin of course. Pills best avoided, interferes with the alcohol y'see. ;-)
Pah!!

You mountain bikers only fall on soft earth, the biggest danger is getting mud on your shorts. Us roadies have to endure our skin being sandpapered by tarmac and concrete when we go rubber side up.
 Ask Google; - BiggerBadderDave
"the other hand really gets me down"

Ahhhh, the old broken arm/ham-shanking problem.

Anywhere in the world there are discrete ladies who can help you recover.

One time it really was a nurse and I hadn't even broken anything.
 Ask Google; - Manatee
Hope you feel better and recover soon.

My wife - the indomitable kind - decided a few years ago to clean the gutters out on the windiest day of the year while I was at work. She was blown off the ladder and smashed her arm badly enough to need an operation. Fortunately we lived in a bungleyhole.

Falls are deadly. Avoiding them is probably the best thing we can do for our health in the third age years.
>> I walked out onto an open plan staircase landing on the 2nd floor and leaned
>> backwards against the stair rail to pass opinion on some higher up wall/ceiling repairs needed.
>>
>> Sadly the stair rail had been removed the previous week.
>>

...I always had you down as Del Boy's brother.......

;-)

Ask Google; - VxFan
>> Sadly the stair rail had been removed the previous week. It was rather along way
>> down onto a stone floor.

Is the stone floor ok? Blood stains can be quite difficult to remove, especially if the material is porous ;)

only kidding. Get well soon.
 Ask Google; - sherlock47
Wish you a speedy recovery.

Sounds as though were rather lucky to get away without head or back injury. Just up the dose of cornflakes and all your problems will resolve.

Based on my experience with a ladder 7 years ago the memories and reminders will stay with you for some time.
Last edited by: sherlock47 on Thu 22 Aug 19 at 07:36
 Ask Google; - commerdriver
All the best for a speedy recovery Mark.
I gave up ladders in my mid 50s when a close friend fell off one and suffered serious back and head injuries, which thankfully you seem to have escaped.
 Ask Google; - Runfer D'Hills
I’m really experienced in falling off things. If you need any advice on the more advanced techniques I’m your man ! ;-)

Does hurt more as the years advance I’ll admit.

Get well soon and so on !
 Ask Google; - neiltoo
Yes, I used to be up and down ladders, But they scare me now. In my professional career, I always went up on to roofs before signing buildings off. I could go to any height on scaffolding or roofs - solid - but the bounce in ladders worried me a little. I'm old enough to remember timber "pole" ladders, and they bounced for fun!

I avoid them where I can now.

All the best for a speedy recovery.

8o)
 Ask Google; - devonite
If the bannister / rail was missing why were the stairs/landing in use?
 Ask Google; - Zero
>> If the bannister / rail was missing why were the stairs/landing in use?

To get up stairs. I guess some work is being done, and the OP warned the rest of the family strongly about the dangers. A case of do as I say, not do as I did.
The first job I did was in a drawing office at a small engineering firm. The building got an extensive rebuild while I was there and the section between the drawing office and the stores was completely demolished, but the door leading off to it remained intact and unlocked. Everyone in the firm knew not to use it, but one day a rep who hadn't visited us for a while had the door half open and one foot out before someone yelled and grabbed him, saving him from a forty foot drop.

'Elf & Safety would go into meltdown at such a situation now, but in the late sixties there was very little of that about.
 Ask Google; - No FM2R
>> If the bannister / rail was missing why were the stairs/landing in use?

Because levitation is not my thing. Sadly, neither is looking where I'm leaning.
 Ask Google; - smokie
Late to this as I've been away for a few days. Get well soon Mark!
Latest Forum Posts