Non-motoring > Brexit Discussion - Volume 86
Thread Author: VxFan Replies: 15

Brexit Discussion - Volume 86 - VxFan

IMPORTANT - PLEASE READ

Before discussions start in this thread, I would like to point out that any petty arguments, personal attacks, or any other infringement of house rules, etc. will be deleted where we feel fit from now on.

We will not give notice that we have deleted something. Nor will we enter into discussion why something was deleted. That will also be deleted.

It seems that discussion about Brexit brings out the worst in some people.

Be nice, Play nice, and control your temper. Your co-operation would be appreciated.

Last edited by: VxFan on Thu 12 Sep 19 at 10:29
 Brexit Discussion - Volume 85 - No FM2R
Brexit: Nigel Farage election pact proposal rejected by No 10

www.bbc.com/news/uk-politics-49665789

Predictable. But reading the comments below is depressing.

"remainers wont be so chirpy when Boris and Nigel are in charge of our country. And what a dream team thay will be too. "

"Nigel Farage speaks a lot of sense. The Leavers ( me included ) will be voting for the Bresit party. The Tories and Labour will be obliterated bar London. This guy has faced ridicule in the EU parliament for 20 years and has always stuck up for this country and said we will leave. I know who I would trust and his name is Nigel Farage"

"All the hot air and talk in the world will not alter the facts. Nigel Farage has a very large following by those who are not taken in by the media propaganda and lies. The Cons will suffer the consequences with no pact, and a General Election will expose the truth. Bring it on! "

This is what happens when you take your eye of the education ball. The gap gets filled.
Last edited by: No FM2R on Wed 11 Sep 19 at 20:32
 Brexit Discussion - Volume 85 - Bromptonaut
>> "remainers wont be so chirpy when Boris and Nigel are in charge of our country.
>> And what a dream team thay will be too. "

Boris, to his credit, (am I saying that?) seems to be saying he won't touch Farage with a barge pole.

Which is quite right; for all the chirpy 'Hale Fellow Well Met' image he's actually a very thin skinned one man band with no sensitivity whatsoever.

Agree about education - leavers do seem to feature those who's posts make my attempts to keep the duty pedant busy look amateur.

I've been accused elsewhere this week of being part of a group called 'remainders' - that was somebody in Thurrock posting in a Yorkshire themed forum......
 Brexit Discussion - Volume 85 - No FM2R

>> I've been accused elsewhere this week of being part of a group called 'remainders' -

I quite like that. I'd take that as a badge of honour, if I were you.

We are........

......... the REMAINDERS"
 Brexit Discussion - Volume 85 - Robin O'Reliant
>> >>>>
>> Boris, to his credit, (am I saying that?) seems to be saying he won't touch
>> Farage with a barge pole.
>>
>> >>

That's this week. He'll quite likely be saying the opposite next week.
 Yellow Hammer Documents - Bromptonaut
Some stuff published tonight:

tinyurl.com/yy2oll7p (pdf on .gov website)

It's taken under two hours for content of redacted paragraph - petrol supplies - to leak.

When will they ever learn?

Edited to replace full link that was mucking up site formatting with shorter tiny url
Last edited by: Bromptonaut on Wed 11 Sep 19 at 21:45
 Yellow Hammer Documents - smokie
When I was a project manager, even on comparatively minor projects we always carried out a risk analysis. It's what project managers do. Often we "brain dumped" them with all stakeholders and explored (and recorded) all and any concerns, including the extreme and sometimes bizarre, and came up with a likelihood score and a mitigation.

To be fair, this document is headed "HMG Reasonable Worst Case Assumptions", and as such is just that. A list of worst case assumptions, not a prediction. It's probably a small part of a massive planning document.

Of course it's bound to be presented somewhat out of context by the press. I'd call it sensationalism but others use the term Project Fear - and in this case I'd have to agree, to some extent.
 Yellow Hammer Documents - tyrednemotional
>>
>> To be fair, this document is headed "HMG Reasonable Worst Case Assumptions", and as such
>> is just that. A list of worst case assumptions, not a prediction.
>>

It is headed that now it has been released. The leaked version of the same document was headed "Base Scenario" as confirmed by Rosamund Urwin of the Sunday Times (who has also released the contents of the redacted paragraph0.

I thought Andrea Leadsom had said the contents were too scary to release, so they were intending not to comply with Parliament's request.
 BBC Radio News Quiz August 30th 2019 - Duncan
Andy Hamilton had it right, as far as I am concerned. It worth a listen from the beginning, but the particular piece of his that I empathised with is about 7:45 in.

www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/p07m281t
 Brexit Discussion - Volume 86 - No FM2R
Look what's crawled out from under a rock....

www.bbc.com/news/uk-politics-49690618
 Brexit Discussion - Volume 86 - Kevin
>Look what's crawled out from under a rock....

To sell his book.
 Brexit Discussion - Volume 86 - tyrednemotional

>>
>> To sell his book.
>>

...give him his due, though; It's the most focused piece of work he's done since he entered politics......
 Banks/Leave.eu - No Further Charges - Bromptonaut
Metropolitan Police announced yesterday they will not be proceeding against Aaaron Banks/Leave.eu over allegations of breaches of law during referendum. Statements cites lack of evidence:

www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2019/sep/13/met-to-take-no-further-action-over-leaveeu-spending-breaches-arron-banks

Surprised this hasn't been bigger news, in particular that Banks supporters haven't been tupeting it all over social media.

Equally, I suspect others will seek review of decision.
 Banks/Leave.eu - No Further Charges - zippy
>> Metropolitan Police announced yesterday they will not be proceeding against Aaaron Banks/Leave.eu over allegations of
>> breaches of law during referendum. Statements cites lack of evidence:

I heard this on R4 and thought it was the CPS that chose whether to prosecute or not?
 Banks/Leave.eu - No Further Charges - Bromptonaut
The Met statment is here:

news.met.police.uk/news/update-lnvestigation-into-leave-dot-eu-381332

Seems there is a channel, 'Early Investigative Advice' where Police can seek advice from CPS while investigation is ongoing:

www.cps.gov.uk/legal-guidance/police-and-cps-relations

CPS advice was presumably that the evidence so far, and/or that in prospect, was not likely to clear the prosecution threshold for prospect of conviction. Investigation discontinued. Could probably be resumed if significant new evidence emerges.

I suspect that lawyers such as Jolyon Maugham's Good Law Project will be all over decision for possible challenge on public interest grounds.

There is also still an investigation by the National Crime Agency which may give putative defendants more to worry about.
 Another One Crosses the Floor - Bromptonaut
Sam Gyimah has thrown in his lot with the Lib Dems.

MP for East Surrey. Past record suggests it's as safe as houses for Tories, held with 50% of vote even in 1997.

Close to Zero's place I think. Any thoughts Z?
Latest Forum Posts