Non-motoring > A Nostalgic Trip Miscellaneous
Thread Author: Bromptonaut Replies: 22

A Nostalgic Trip - Bromptonaut
tinyurl.com/y4rbjfeb

A BBC North film from 1976 looking at Spring Bank Holiday in Scarborough.

Where to even start with memories....

The 'big wheel' ride called the Paratrooper by the dodgems on the pier.

The Harbour Bar cafe - still exactly same today.

The Naval Warfare when the planes had Jetex engines and it was still a real re-enactment of a WW2 battle and you could mention the Germans.

Hotel breakfast (and lunch).

Max Jaffa's name at in lights at The Spa.

Is that Peter Jaconelli of Bingo*, Ice Cream and Mayor fame but subsequently proven as a prolific paedophile interspersed with shots of the clappy happy singers on the beach?

Zero might like the Class 31 loco and B&RCW DMU's on the station.

*IIRC Jaconelli owned 'The Family Bingo' where my Great Uncle Tom spent a fortune every summer but brought back all sorts of prizes the were 'reet good uns'.

The Bingo went sometime in eighties but Jaconelli's 'lemon top' ice creams still trades.

And there's still lots my own kids, who didn't visit until 25+ years later would recognise.
Last edited by: Bromptonaut on Thu 12 Sep 19 at 21:30
 A Nostalgic Trip - Manatee
You must have been a few years behind me...I probably had holidays with my parents in Scarborough in the mid-60s, probably the last in '67.

Good memories. Including the naval battles in Peasholm Park. Much more recently we have been a couple of times to the Stephen Joseph Theatre and had a wander along the South bay, and along the Spa Bridge.
 A Nostalgic Trip - No FM2R
Scarborough sounds interesting with stuff to remember.

We used to go to Prestatyn with the occasional adventurous trip to Tendy. Though to be fair I quite liked Tenby. Prestatyn not so much.

You cannot imagine my excitement when my maternal grandparents took me to Hayling Island. I loved that place. Still do, in fact. I often spend time there when I can.

A Nostalgic Trip - smokie
My maternal grandmother lived in Rhyl and I spent many summers up there, and there is a lot I remember, not least the mods and rockers and their Bank Holiday punch ups! But there was a punch and judy, a great lifeboat house, the donkeys being led to the beach each day past my gran's house. My gran had a chalet at the beach and I used to spend hours in the amusement arcades - I still play a mean pinball!! (I have clocked RPs previous comments about Rhyl these days so have deferred a nostalgia visit!!)

Paternal grandparents were in Southend, so also seaside, but we didn't spend so much time there. Grandfather had been in the subs in WWI but owned an old fashioned cobblers shop by the time my memory begins. I rarely smell the smells now (glue and leather I suppose) but it always reminds me of the shop and old Tommy when I do.
 A Nostalgic Trip - Bromptonaut
>> You must have been a few years behind me...I probably had holidays with my parents
>> in Scarborough in the mid-60s, probably the last in '67.

I suspect actually we overlapped.

Mum's family had a tradition of cross generational holidays in Scarborough from her childhood in twenties/thirties and possibly before.

We went late August with Mum, her Mother, brother Uncle Sidney and his girlfriend Aunty Pat from when I (born 59) was a toddler until Granny died in 1972. We'd have a chalet by Scalby Mills for week and other friends/relatives would drop by. Granny's brother, my Great Uncle Tom, also featured but he stayed in the Bell Hotel on Blands Cliff while we graduated over time from boarding houses to Brooklands Hotel on Esplanade Gardens.

Uncle Sidney and Aunty Pat continued the tradition into the eighties, for a time with their son Richard until he died age 4 of congenital heart disorder, and still after that with caravanning friends of theirs. We'd usually drop by as day trippers from Leeds sometime during week.

Suggestion on my part of a day trip with Mum and my two, then 4 and 6, around Aug BH 1999 morphed into an overnight and expanded/continued, including my sister's kids as they emerged.

Last few times Mum and Sis stopped at Villa Esplanade self catering while Miss B, The Lad and I were in B&B behind The Grand. Mrs B stayed home grateful for respite and time to prepare Autumn Term teaching.

Ended around 2009 after Mum fell and was too frail to cope with Scarborough's gradients.

Might yet be revived if/when I have grandchildren.

Last edited by: Bromptonaut on Thu 12 Sep 19 at 23:49
 A Nostalgic Trip - Duncan
>> I (born 59)
>>

Have you had the big party yet?

Will I be invited?/Is there any cake left?
 A Nostalgic Trip - Fullchat
Burniston Barracks. North end of Scarborough. Had a few cracking Army Cadet camps there with the Moors on the doorstep.
Victorian barracks now demolished and replaced with housing. All the roads have military names.
 A Nostalgic Trip - legacylad
Most Bradfordians like myself used to head west, Morecambe being popular I recall. The first 9 years of my life we lived over the shop, a small sub PO near the city centre. Mum would take my brother and I to Filey for the odd week, but normally it was a small flat at Morecambe. I don’t think my parents ever went on holiday together until the PO was sold, apart from the odd Saturday night at a B & B at Bolton Le Sands near Morecambe, when we were left behind with relatives.
They must have generated some money from selling the PO because we then had annual holidays in Jersey, flying from Yeadon. Even a summer holiday at Lido de Jesolo flying on a BEA Comet and a Shaw Saville cruise ( Northern Star) and P & O cruise ( Orcades).
My Dad loved the sea....in the war he served in the Merchant Navy at a very young age, Arctic Convoys to Murmansk & Archangel, then Atlantic convoys. He left us with my Mum and would disappear for hours, invariably talking his way onto the bridge or telegraph room, even getting us a tour of the engine room.
We went there (Morecambe) as well, before Scarborough became the favourite. In those days some people thought Morecambe was a bit posher (or at least less unposh) than Blackpool. Since then it has had some hard times. I know the Midland Hotel has been restored, not sure how the rest of it is faring. I now want to go and have a look.
Living in Giggleswick we regularly catch the Leeds to Morecambe/Heysham train and take light refreshment in that part of the world. We may stop at The Snug on the platform at Carnforth, ( where Brief Encounter was filmed. Yawn) a cosy micro pub with limited opening hours. Then on to Heysham and walk to Morecambe where our favourite hostelry is the Morecambe Hotel, not to be confused with the Art Deco Midland. At the MH, a smart place with a video screen showing the old bathing beauty pageants on a loop, which were held aeons ago at the Morecambe Lido. Hard to take your eyes of it I found...before my time but thousands attended these things. And it rained.
Maybe a pint in the Palatine, a locals bar. Avoid all other pubs. A bracing walk up the prom to the Little Bare micro pub, then train from Bare Lane to Lancaster and a few beers at the Water Witch & White Cross sat by the canal.
If in the area catch the train over the bay to Ulverston, which we did last week. I recommend The Farmers, and maybe get off the train at any of the stations en route for a wander and enjoy the views across the Bay Area, either the Arnside/Silverdale side or Cark ( for Cartmel)/Grange over Mud the other.
Well worth a weeks holiday to enjoy the Lake District peninsulas and if time the rail journey up the west coast of Cumbria to Carlisle
* I’m told that Carnforth platform 2 has the longest unsupported cantilever roof in the world
Morecambe Lido was used in the serial drama 'The Bay' where the missing girl was hidden. (Yawn)
 A Nostalgic Trip - devonite
Well I was born and raised there! - At Present it seems to be going through a bit of a clean-up and revival stage, it's not as "tacky" as back in the 60's, the sea-front has all been landscaped, the beaches covered with sand retaining rocks, a lot of the "tacky" amusement arcades and fairground have gone, as have 2 of the 3 piers, the West -end pier was washed away in the 70's and the Central pier burned down later the same decade, the Stone- jetty still remains but the aquarium on it has gone and the end of it has been extended seawards by afore mentioned rocks.
there has been a lot of new development both housing and commercial in the area, and the old station is now an Arts and Festival centre. Happy Mount Park still survives even aftre the Blobby fiasco tried very hard to kill it! - in fact a new venture ir currently underway to build "Eden 2" on the prom close to where the Midland Hotel currently is. that is one thing I would like to go see when it's up and running - somewhere about 2025 I believe. must be worth a visit if you like comparing old memories.
 A Nostalgic Trip - Kevin
We used to go to Scarborough when I was a nipper. Can't remember the name of the hotel we always stayed in but it was next to the Opera House/theatre. What I remember most is that the last time we went Lonnie Donegan was top of the bill and staying in the same hotel. He said something to a waitress at breakfast and she burst into tears.
A miserable sod by this account

tinyurl.com/y3okzwv5 (Telegraph, 2012)
 A Nostalgic Trip - Zero
Scarborough?

Went there last year when we were in whitby.

My wife says I have to be more positive about things, and has schooled me in the ways of the "praise sandwich"

So on that basis

The drive in was nice,

It was a craphole

The drive out was nice.
Most generous of you Z. I didn’t think it aspired to such heights when I was last there 15 years ago. I was out of there within the hour.
The coastal walking N of Scarborough is ok on a good day. Cleveland Way y’know. But still nothing to shout about, and it doesn’t hold a candle to the Pembrokeshire Coast Path or most of the SWCP. Best staying inland on the NY Moors or Staithes, Runswick Bay etc.
Last edited by: legacylad on Fri 13 Sep 19 at 22:05
 A Nostalgic Trip - Duncan
>> My wife says I have to be more positive about things, and has schooled me
>> in the ways of the "praise sandwich"
>>
>> So on that basis
>>
>> The drive in was nice,
>>
>> It was a craphole
>>
>> The drive out was nice.
>>

Pedant Corner.

Sandwiches are described by their filling and NOT by the material surrounding the filling, i.e. a "corned beef" sandwich will have a filling of corned beef, surrounded, normally, by sliced bread.

So on that basis what you have described above is a "craphole" sandwich.

Always happy to help.
 A Nostalgic Trip - Zero

>> Pedant Corner.

>> Always happy to help.

Ah I see the concept of a praise sandwich has been rejected by you.
 A Nostalgic Trip - Zero

>> The drive in was nice,
>>
>> It was a craphole
>>
>> The drive out was nice.

Talking of which, I have just had one of those "wow" memorable drives

Background:

At a dog show in Norfolk, nr Gt Yarmouth. Here all w/e, staying at a T/L. This evening after the show I drive the dog down to Caister beach, where she had a damn good swim and a run up and down the dunes, and we grabbed some fish and chips at a convenient chippy. Not bad FnC either.

So dusk was approaching, I decided to drive into Gt Yarmouth, see the golden mile (well 400 yards) looked agog at the huge spare offshore wind turbine blades lined up in the port area.

Driving west out on the A47, the road is as straight as an arrow for about 5 miles, as flat as a witches tit, basically a dry spot through the marsh, not a tree in sight. The sky behind was an inky black, and in the big open flat Norfolk sky in front of me, the post sunset sky with high cloud was lit up in every warm shade of the spectrum, from purple through to orange.

It made feel all poetic in a turner kind of way.
If you think Scarborough is bad keep well away from Bridlington.

The walk along the old railway line from Scarborough up to Ravenscar is quite nice.
 A Nostalgic Trip - Zero
>> If you think Scarborough is bad keep well away from Bridlington.
>>
>> The walk along the old railway line from Scarborough up to Ravenscar is quite nice.
>>

Yes its fantastic, did portions of that, the platform is still extant at Ravenscar, with good tea rooms in the station parade*. A strange place a large town, planned out yet never built. An interesting WW2 radar station nearby too

*they have a photo of LNER B1 Thompson Class, 61306 hauling up the grade from Whitby to Ravenscar, a Loco I have recently caught on video running around the main line renamed as "Mayflower"
Never knew about the radar station must do some research.
Well that was a nostalgia trip.

Found the WW2 radar station on Google Maps. Satellite shows to the south of it where Bent Rigg Lane crosses the railway line an area of scrub land. Spent several nights there over the years camping with the Cadets. Always known as Exercise Bent Rigg - Happy Days as they say.
Latest Forum Posts