Non-motoring > How much should I pay for a topo survey? Miscellaneous
Thread Author: Manatee Replies: 11

How much should I pay for a topo survey? - Manatee
Apparently I need one of these to get my house built. Anybody had one?

The relevant bit of the plot is about 20m x 50m., about 0.25 acres. I assume it goes by area.
 How much should I pay for a topo survey? - No FM2R
I didn't know what a "topo survey" was so I googled it. In the process I found this, in case it is of interest.

www.topographical.co.uk/blog/land-survey-cost
That's more than I found, thanks!
 How much should I pay for a topo survey? - zippy
>>0.25 acres.

Round here they would put 8 to 10 homes on that!
Believe it or not the planning officer suggested building a pair of semis on it as it would "make best use of the land". This by the way is in a flood risk area!
 How much should I pay for a topo survey? - Zero
Are you sure you need one, this is your existing plot that had your previous dwelling on?
Correct.

We probably won't need it for planning permission, but apparently we will for building - levels, position of drains for example. Need to check because if it's overspecced it will cost more - but possibly not a huge amount difference because they all charge a day rate I think.

I'm no expert. Being advised by people who will probably be building the house. The old one is a bungalow, we are going for a 2 storey to replace it.
 How much should I pay for a topo survey? - neiltoo
Before I retired, three years ago, we were paying about £250 to 300 for this.

Neil
Last edited by: neiltoo on Fri 13 Sep 19 at 23:04
 How much should I pay for a topo survey? - Rudedog
Sorry slightly off topic but this reminded me of when I moved out of my previous house and the buyers estate agents insisted on us doing a Radon gas measurement!

Apparently they told us that we are in a 'hotspot', I think it took a few weeks but I'm on top of the North Downs on chalk for god sake!
>> Before I retired, three years ago, we were paying about £250 to 300 for this.

£700-800 + VAT has been intimated. Might need some more quotes.
 How much should I pay for a topo survey? - Netsur
I would be very surprised if a half decent chartered surveyor charged under £750 + VAT for a day's work. Although I don't do this type of work, my charge for a day's work would be at least double this. A surveyor using a field station would/should charge something like 1.5 times my hourly rate.

Anyone charging less is not valuing their time or abilities. You want someone who is proud to do their job, do it well and knows that they are being paid enough to do it well. Pay peanuts, get moneys.

How much should I pay for a topo survey? - neiltoo
I used to use these people:

www.sepltd.com/

We always had a quick, accurate service.
They are based in Skelmersdale.

I last used them in 2014

Neil
Latest Forum Posts