Non-motoring > Video game Miscellaneous
Thread Author: Crankcase Replies: 27

Video game - Crankcase
Wasn't sure if this ought to go in non-motoring or computer related, so sorry mods if I have picked the wrong one.

Just to say that if anyone was a fan of the original Doom, back in the day, and hasn't latched on to the new game called Ion Fury, you're missing out big time. They've made a whole new game that's really very doom-like, looks very nineties, and is endless fun, if you like your fun to be doomish.

That's it really. You can get it on Steam for twenty quid. I've played 33 hours so far, not got to the end. Though I'm less good at these things than hitherto.

Last edited by: Crankcase on Sat 14 Sep 19 at 16:58
 Video game - No FM2R
Hah! I was playing it yesterday, presuming you mean the one from id Software.
 Video game - Zero
I miss leisure suit Larry.
 Video game - Crankcase
Yes, the one from id. Just had a bash, but after ten minutes it makes me feel queasy. Clearly I' no longer a Playa.

Leisure Suit Larry! Had that on the Amiga I think. Never were two pink pixels so exciting.
 Video game - No FM2R
>> Yes, the one from id. Just had a bash, but after ten minutes it makes
>> me feel queasy. Clearly I' no longer a Playa.

Just tried it and funnily enough had the same queasy experience. I'll try again later.Not very inspiring though so far. Just wandering around a dark bar and across some roofs and walls..
 Video game - Crankcase
It's just left right fire, what more do you want?
 Video game - Runfer D'Hills
I vaguely remember being cajoled into playing a game of Space Invaders in a pub on a table top type machine a few decades ago and thinking even then, that it was a royal waste of time. Never been tempted since to lose any more precious minutes of my life doing anything similar. My son used to play all manner of games on a series of increasingly expensive and apparently more fascinating Play Stations until he was about 14, but mercifully he grew out of it.

Can't begin to imagine how otherwise empty my days would have to be before such an activity found its way to the top of any list of my things to do next.

But of course, it takes all sorts I suppose.

;-)
 Video game - No FM2R
When one isn't losing 70 hours a week to earning money then there is far much more opportunity to sample a vast array of activities without forever being driven by how many minutes it might take.

Opportunity cost is far less of an issue in the world of an idle man. 8-)
 Video game - devonite
Our G/son came over to spend the W/E with us Fri night, and managed to find my hoard of Amiga games (over 400 of them!) and of course wanted to play them. Sat morning was spent digging out and setting up the old A500+, only to find that over the years of non-use the battery has leaked and caused a wee bit of corrosion damage (something for me to work on!). So I installed Dos box on my win 10 machine and managed to get quite a few to run, yesterday afternoon and probably this after as well was/will be spent enjoying an evil game of Dungeon Keeper with him! - Gosh! I really miss that Amiga! ;-) best o/s ever!
 Video game - Crankcase
There's a lot of fun to be had from those old games. They're not too demanding, and lots have that "I'll just play for ten minutes" while waiting for whichever female in the house is putting on their shoes or whatever it is that takes 45 minutes every time you want to go to the end of the garden. Which reminds me, I must take my misogyny pill.

Dungeon Keeper? Hmm - was that like Eye of the Beholder, that other Amiga classic?

I do have some mame stuff and an N64 emulator, but I also still have my ancient Amiga 1200 in the loft. I wonder...
 Video game - R.P.
Doom was great. Genuinely cutting edge stuff in its time. I found my old Doom Battlebook the other week and it sold for a decent sum on e-bay, so it still must be popular.
 Video game - smokie
IIRC Doom was the follow up to Wolfenstein, a game where you are running round some castle with loads of German troops trying to stop you escaping. John? McCormack was the "inventor" I think (I only remember that because he had the same name as a mate).

Also I think Doom was one of the first network games, certainly it was something like that which we used to play in the Wang Support Centre in teams. Another which we used to stay after hours to play (but not networked) was Lemmings, on of the all time classic PC games IMO.

I have wasted hours on games, and continue to do so, and not so long ago found a Spectrum emulator and loads of old Speccy games which were long forgotten - Manic Miner, Jet Set Willy, Horace and the Spiders, Atic Atac and more...

More recent games got more and more complicated to "drive" and I'm not keen enough to want to play online so I don't do many of the new ones.
 Video game - R.P.
Yes, you're absolutely right Smokie. Wolfenstein was the immediate predecessor to Doom. I was hooked from a free floppy with a Magazine - bought the full game - there was an updated version on DVD which I still have somewhere if someone wants it !

Happy days of being able to get detached from work crap spinning around in your head.
 Video game - No FM2R
I still have Escape from Castle Wolfenstein. No. I daughter plays it from time to time.

Mind you, she also has the new Doom on her XBox One. That's a bit different.
 Video game - Lygonos
Graphics are a huge let down on 22"+ monitors - back when a 15" screen was big enough they were more playable.

I've been playing a fair bit of Call of Duty WW2 Zombies either solo or online.

Mindless slaying of obvious Brexiteers is fun.
 Video game - No FM2R
Mostly I'm a Halo man.

Lots of stuff to kill and a lot of it bites back.
 Video game - R.P.
All my old games are on Windows - won't work on the Appl...sadly.
 Video game - No FM2R
Sure? Some of the DOS or Windows emulators are pretty good.
 Video game - No FM2R
>> Yes, you're absolutely right Smokie. Wolfenstein was the immediate predecessor to Doom.

I'm not so sure about that. I think the names have changed and changed about. Woth the odd Duke Nukem thrown into the mix.
 Video game - Lygonos
I remember playing Doom on my mate's state-of-the-art PC around 1993 or 1994.

He had a DX-50 processor, and I think he paid about £40 for an extra 4Mb of RAM.

Just googled memory prices:

Per Megabyte of memory
1957 - $411,000,000(!)
1960 - $5,000,000
1970 - $734,000
1980 - $6,500
1990 - $50
2000 - $0.70
2010 - $0.012
2019 - $0.003

jcmit.net/memoryprice.htm
Last edited by: Lygonos on Tue 17 Sep 19 at 15:59
 Video game - No FM2R
Amazing.

I originally played on a DEC PC 333. It usually had 4mb RAM but mine had 8mb. I thought it was soo cool.
 Video game - R.P.
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Doom_(1993_video_game)

My memory is flakey on the events, but certainly the magazines of the time suggested that Doom was a direct descendant of Wolfenstein. Both were great games though, Doom was literally a game changer - I had hours of harmless fun from them. Brings back memories of wiring up some impressive speakers to the computer to get a quality sound !
 Video game - Lygonos
www.youtube.com/watch?v=el72n7U4Pos

Doom sounds from the 90s
 Video game - Zero
Don't get your wolfensteins mixed up.

The first two were top down then side view platform games and NOTHING like Doom.

Wolfenstein 3D is the first recognisable FPS game in the series, and uses the same ID 1 engine as Doom which came some 18 months later.

Both were game changers.

RCW and MOH are still running and used on my PC as my go to kill some Rucker stress buster.
 Video game - Runfer D'Hills
I'm not a religious person, but I'm sorely tempted to pray for you lot, I think you need help. How in the world does a grown adult find any solace or entertainment in playing computer games? It really isn't any kind of way to spend your life now is it? Do get a grip chaps !
;-)
 Video game - No FM2R
One up from playing chicken with a kerb.
 Video game - Zero
I'll take no lessons in grown up behaviour from a man who has a penchant for yellow boots.
 Video game - legacylad
The only video game I’ve played is Space Invaders. Probably late 70s, I was in my early 20s. Friday night skinful after 5 a side and football training, then SI whilst waiting for an available ( Formica) table at our local curry house around midnight.
Since then I’ve played pinball, liar dice, darts and doms in various pubs but they don’t count.
Latest Forum Posts