Non-motoring > Quick Thinking Miscellaneous
Thread Author: sherlock47 Replies: 17

Quick Thinking - sherlock47
tinyurl.com/yxlhzxol

If this happened in the UK would anybody have done the same thing? H&S nightmare. Where was the risk assessment?
 Quick Thinking - sherlock47
The link is safe, but you will have to endure a 20s add before the video will play.
 Quick Thinking - Bromptonaut
Just seen same thing on shared on facebook.

Can see that beverage cart, which looks like it's electric, is under power and on full lock. No one visible in cab and presumably if they were there's a power cut off.

So what happened to let it run unnattended?

Quick thinking to knock it over with a bigger vehicle before it hit the plane but risk is so remote as to be unforseeble.
 Quick Thinking - Fullchat
Good move. I think that rotation was going to have the airplane.
 Quick Thinking - No FM2R
I'm not sure why it would have been any different in the UK. I am sure somebody would have found a way of dealing with it.

Hitting it with another vehicle, whilst almost certainly the right thing to do, certainly wasn't without risk though.
 Quick Thinking - R.P.
You've got to admire the men who seemed to try to "protect" the parked aircraft - I think any sane risk assessment would shy away from that. As Bromp says it was such an unusual situation that no RA would ever consider it possible. I suspect that there was either a mechanical breakdown, or that the user had found a way to overcome a dead man's handle sort of device. The guy who "intercepted" it deserves a medal for preventing many thousands of pounds worth of damage to the aircraft which the cart seemed to irrevocably heading for.
 Quick Thinking - henry k
>>You've got to admire the men who seemed to try to "protect" the parked aircraft -
Perhaps one worker had already been injured ?
One is on the ground then helped up moved and then went down again.
 Quick Thinking - Zero
Service vehicle collisions with planes (as is planes knocking into other planes) is surprisingly common, there is a whole youtube channel devoted to them.
 Quick Thinking - sooty123
Not sure I'd be stood between it and the a/c parked up like those chaps. Its not like they could have done anything by grabbing it.

Seen it happen a couple of times, once in really bad ice, ended up with a smashed windscreen and someone nearly impaled. And another time someone ended up in hospital but nothing serious thankfully, aircraft was grounded for a while.
>> Service vehicle collisions with planes (as is planes knocking into other planes) is surprisingly common,
>> there is a whole youtube channel devoted to them.

Service vehicle v aircraft incidents used to feature in AAIB bulletin but don't anymore except where passenger safety might be involved or aircraft was moving.
 Quick Thinking - No FM2R
I think I'm confused as to which risk we're assessing;

If it is leaving a powered vehicle unattended and not immobilised, I should think that's totally obvious, predictable and manageable and probably should result in dismissal.

If it is the danger of stopping one vehicle with another, then I'd be surprised if he hadn't done some sort of assessment in his head, but it most certainly was not without risk and probably should result in a material thank you, even if behind the scenes.

I wonder where the driver was, unless it was the fallen guy on the ground, though I don't think so.
Last edited by: No FM2R on Tue 1 Oct 19 at 14:13
 Quick Thinking - No FM2R
"American Airlines said in a statement that preliminary reports showed the cart's accelerator got stuck and caused the cart to lose control. "
>> I think I'm confused as to which risk we're assessing;
>>

As you say, the key risk is that a powered vehicle can run away. The mitigation for that is that it's properly immobilised; brakes on AND power switch off/keys removed. Failure to observe those and you're on a one way ticket.

If, in this case, that was not observed and something else like a dropped bottle was involved then there may be another stable door to bolt.

Once it's running round like a demented thing and approaching an airliner then action taken looked reasonable and indeed it looks as though vehicle chosen for 'intercept' was something big enough to do job properly - is it my imagination does it have some kind of plough on front?
 Quick Thinking - No FM2R
>> is it my imagination does it have some kind of plough on front?

I think it's one of those things that picks up luggage/cargo crates/containers.
 Quick Thinking - Zero
Risk assessment or not, you have to admire the guys timing and targeting.
 Quick Thinking - BiggerBadderDave
"Once it's running round like a demented thing"

Or as we say on this forum, "doing a Zero".
 Quick Thinking - No FM2R
I hear from a friend at Delta that the vehicle was left stationary but *not* imobilised and a box of water bottles was knocked off the load and fell onto the accelerator.

Somebody's career direction is no longer up.
Last edited by: No FM2R on Tue 1 Oct 19 at 14:22
 Quick Thinking - R.P.
There's that part of the RA that would have been considered ! I had to spend a couple of hours studying the RAs on loading and unloading a van when working for the NHS. The amount of detail was impressive. I guess that they are organic documents with learning from real world incidents. Mind you the number of incidents I witnessed in my short time working there down to sloppy practices (including buffoons wearing trainers instead of approved footwear) were inumerable. One guy lost a load of Clinical Waste due to being too idle to secure a tail lift correctly. There was a pervasive attitude of "not being paid enough to worry about s*** like that" throughout the local organisation. Reason 48 why I jacked it in.
Latest Forum Posts