Non-motoring > Rugby World Cup Car Deals
Thread Author: No FM2R Replies: 57

Rugby World Cup - No FM2R
Anybody else watching it?

I keep getting up at 4:00am to do so. Some good matches - Enjoyed Wales v Australia and Wales v Fiji

England games haven't been so good. England v Argentina was a boring game that England won easily. England v France on Saturday, that ought to be a good game.

Scotland v Japan on Sunday should be a great game. Japan are pretty good, and beat Ireland but Scotland need to win with a bonus point.
 Rugby World Cup - sherlock47
At least here in France the start time is a reasonable 10.00 for the early games.

Unfortunately the local Bar owner has made so much money from the expats that he has gone to Japan to watch France live, and closed the bar for 3 weeks. Normally for an England - France fixture, (Soccer or Rugby) we form patriotic groups on either side of the Bar. This Saturday we will be hosted by a very good english provider of bacon sarnies, with a large TV.
5:15am for us, and also watching at a local bar with an English Breakfast.

It's a rubbish time though; far too late to stay out and carry on drinking from Friday night and far too early to start drinking on a Saturday.

Consequently it'll be endless cups of tea.

Then Wales v Uruguay on Sunday at 5.15 - slightly worrying that I am watching it with 5 other Welshmen. I suspect that one way or another alcohol will feature.

I'll probably stay for Japan v Scotland at 7:45 as well, I do like an interesting match where I am neutral.

Rugby World Cup - Duncan
England have got the results they wanted, but I felt they should have been much more clinical. wales are doing ok, but Scotland are having a struggle.

On paper, England should walk over France on Saturday, but they make me very nervous.

I can watch games at my local sports and social club, my rugby club, or at home. So far I have watched all of them at home. Full English is available at all three venues!
 Rugby World Cup - R.P.
Scotland and Japan should be interesting. Japan has played very well so far. Wales struggled with Fiji today.Watching that match as I type.
Fiji are a hard team and played hard. There'll be some sore limbs and muscles in the morning.

I find watching Wales play a very tense thing. I shall enjoy the game between Scotland and Japan much more.
 Rugby World Cup - R.P.
It can get very tense here....!
Fortunately we are surrounded by Chileans so the finer parts of our vocabulary escapes them.

Rugby World Cup - Duncan
Typhoon could cancel games at the weekend. England France, Scotland Japan. If so, Scotland are out of the World Cup.

www.bbc.co.uk/sport/rugby-union/49984703
 Rugby World Cup - Duncan
England game off.
New Zealand off.
Scotland probably on.

www.bbc.co.uk/sport/rugby-union/49995604
That's a pity.
Japan v Scotland was a great match to watch, and a hard match! 28 - 21, Scotland on their way home. Although if they'd played like that the whole time they wouldn't be.

Wales 35 v Uruguay 13 wasn't such a great match, but at least we got the result fairly convincingly.
Perhaps it's just as well I'm not down the bar watching this. 10-19 & Wales playing like a bunch of Sunday afternoon amateurs. FFS.
 Rugby World Cup - Zero
>> Perhaps it's just as well I'm not down the bar watching this. 10-19 & Wales
>> playing like a bunch of Sunday afternoon amateurs. FFS.

BBC report says

France are swarming all over Wales like an outbreak of head lice in a primary school.
I don't know why I watch it. I find it enormously stressful and just end up wandering around unable to sit down. "mincing" apparently, i have just been told.
 Rugby World Cup - Runfer D'Hills
Well, anything that distracts you from playing children's computer games for a while has to be good at some level, you'd think anyway?
;-)

BTW, I'm just about to go and play on my bike...
 Rugby World Cup - Netsur
Try watching ManCity when they are not playing well.... It's not a pretty sight on the stands...
 Rugby World Cup - R.P.
Phew.
 Rugby World Cup - Zero
Blimey, that was pretty bloodthirsty.
It wasn't pretty, but I'll take it.

Fried breakfast and then SA v Japan which I will enjoy much more.
 Rugby World Cup - R.P.
Mrs RP was up to watch it. I stayed in bed (not been 100%) - she came through to tell me the half time score...I dodged the lounge to get some breakfast...came in to watch the last few minutes in time to see that try. Maybe the WRU should pay me to stay in bed.
#1 daughter watches with me.

#2 daughter gets up for the between-game fried breakfast and then goes back to bed.
 Rugby World Cup - Duncan
>>came in to watch the last few minutes in time to see that try.
>>

Except that it wasn't a try. It was a forward pass.

Is it deja vu all over again? Do you support Wales? If so, why?
Well the power cut started at 0910 local time - that p****d off the the local bar owner who was looking to pay off his holiday debts having just returned from Japan :)

So everybody left the bar and went home. 4G Hotspot set up, watched on Tablet, faultless feed from ITV Hub without any geo-restriction which surprised me. Worth watching to see the French expressions by the end. The red-carded individual will have lost some friends.

However the batteries were fading by the next game - and needless to say the battery packs were nearly flat. The only way to watch anything was to go to the car to charge the phone. Global warming - eat your heart out.

2 hours of torrential rain avoided - I could not have got back from the bar it was so heavy.

Power not back to us until 16.00.
Get a Chromecast, keep it in your pocket for when you need it. The easiest way to watch something from your phone/tablet cast onto a television and you can plug it into more or less any modern television.

And it doesn't constantly link through your phone, provided there is WiFi so it doesn't do much to your battery. 6 hours of ITV earlier took 10% off my phone battery.

Not great for a power cut, of course.
Last edited by: No FM2R on Sun 20 Oct 19 at 16:28
 Rugby World Cup - Duncan
>>
>> Power not back to us until 16.00.
>>

Where's this?
France 34230
Right, it's 4.13am, we're going to give it another 10 minutes until we're good and sure that the curfew is over and then we're off to the pub.

I think this will be a good match it's by no means certain, though perhaps likely, that New Zealand will win. I shall be cheering on England with a bunch of other Gringos.

And I shall enjoy this match much more than tomorrow's Wales v South Africa when I shall find the tension all too much.

Have a good Saturday people, I intend to.
Well, we're in the bar. It was all a bit more intimidating and scary getting here then you'd think.

In the side door, upstairs and drinking beer at 5.00am. Clearly I'm going to hell.
Well, that was worth getting uo for. Let's hope it continues.
 Rugby World Cup - Bromptonaut
>> Well, that was worth getting uo for. Let's hope it continues.

Not watching it myself but daughter and hubby are. Verdict is '40 minutes to eff it up then'.

If Wales win tomorrow she and hubby will be supporting different sides.....
 Rugby World Cup - PeterS
I’m watching it at home with two of my brothers; bit emotional as I’ve actually got tickets (as we did for the quarter final and do for the final) but Andy had a cardiac arrest and died at home 2 days before we were due to fly out there :(
Oh s***, I'm so sorry. I didn't know. All the sympathy.
 Rugby World Cup - PeterS
Thank you... a terrible shock. He was only 47, albeit having had kidney failure for some 15 years. The funeral’s next Tuesday...I still might fly out on Thursday for the final...not decided yet...
You should do what he would want you to do.
 Rugby World Cup - tyrednemotional
Commiserations, Peter.

Not easy to lose a partner, (and no age whatsoever).

I'm with Mark (only more so). Unless you're really convinced he wouldn't have wanted you to go, do so, and enjoy the rather unique experience for both of you!
 Rugby World Cup - Bobby
So sorry to hear this Peter. I was 50 on Saturday and I was saying to folk that when I was young I used to think 50 was old and folk died at 50 of "old age". Obviously my opinion has changed as each birthday came along.

47 is no age at all but it certainly sounds from your description that he has crammed a lot into that time with a huge amount of travelling experiences and defying the medics. All backed up with your love. Be proud of what he achieved and of your part in that. RIP.
 Rugby World Cup - James Loveless
So sorry to hear this, Peter. Dreadful news. Condolences and all that.

Try to enjoy the game. I'm afraid I can't bear the tension induced by watching it. I just keep the Guardian's live coverage open and look in from time to time.
 Rugby World Cup - Runfer D'Hills
So sorry Peter.
 Rugby World Cup - zippy
Sincere commiserations Peter.
 Rugby World Cup - helicopter
Condolences to you Peter. 47 is no age at all these days.

As I have found these last couple of months after the death of my wife, you have to enjoy life while you can because you never know when it might end.

My opinion for what it is worth is not to feel guilty and go to the final as you planned and enjoy the memories of the good times you had together.
 Rugby World Cup - R.P.
What Helicopter says !
 Rugby World Cup - VxFan
helicopter, could you drop me an email, or update the email address in your C4P profile please? I need to forward something on to you, but when I tried earlier, I got an undeliverable report.
Thanks.
VxFan_mod@car4play.com
 Rugby World Cup - helicopter
Noted .Email changed.
 Rugby World Cup - PeterS
I will be going guild free, not because Andy was particularly interested in rugby but because he did love travelling. We’d already been on 6 holidays together this year, and he’d managed to fit in another 3 by himself. In fact even though we were departing for Japan on the 16th and had only got back from Tel Aviv at the end of September on Sunday 6th October he booked himself a day trip to Dublin for the 8th of October. He died on the 7th.

Because he was so determined and wouldn’t let the constraints of dialysis stop him doing what he wanted to do (to the chagrin of his consultants over the years...) it was easy to forget day to day just how ill he was. He would have hated being confined to hospital or the house as a result of illness. His life was far too short, but he lived it exactly how he wanted and was able to life to the full. And that approach has created memories I will never forget.
And that is about as great a legacy as Andy could have possibly hoped to leave behind him.

You were a lucky man, Peter. And so was Andy.
What a great game, not just because of the result, but because of the way England played. Impressive.

I entirely agree with the tension and the stress levels. I will hate every moment of the Wales game tomorrow, win or lose. Have to watch it though.

It's now 08:00. I'm going back to bed.
Steve Hansen's post match press conference.

www.youtube.com/watch?v=NKvpLpjxnsI

A man of class, both in victory and defeat. Many could learn from this. And that most definitely includes the spoiled brat Michael Cheika
Last edited by: No FM2R on Sat 26 Oct 19 at 17:23
 Rugby World Cup - Manatee
So sorry Peter. I wish I could do more than express sympathy.
 Rugby World Cup - R.P.
As Manatee said and so young Peter. As one of the others said, go to the final...it'll be a bleter. Thoughts with you.
 Rugby World Cup - Zero
Thats a shocker peter. Life is tenuous, who the hell knows whats round the corner, live life like you stole it.
 Rugby World Cup - Kevin
Aww heck! I'm truly sorry for you Peter.

I would echo Helicopters post. One of my relatives completely withdrew into their shell after their partner died unexpectedly. Please don't do that.
It's a sad day when you're watching a Wales game and thinking the England game was better.
Apparently some Welsh supporters are bricking themselves now that England are in the final. They fancy their chances against South Africa, but the possibility of losing to England is so much more painful than losing to New Zealand.
Losing is losing. No such thing as good losing. That's just pointless s*** stirring. Are you really saying a team would rather lose a semi final than a final? Don't be an a***.

This is a crap game and so far South Africa are marginally less crap than Wales.
I knew I could rely on you to come up with something objectionable at some point. A return to form. Well done.

FYI I was reporting something I read.
Then stop reading the Daily Mail
As Nigel Owens would say, this is not soccer.
Latest Forum Posts