Non-motoring > Scam re renewal of Amazon Prime Miscellaneous
Thread Author: henry k Replies: 6

Scam re renewal of Amazon Prime - henry k
I have just had a call.
www.theguardian.com/money/2019/oct/10/amazon-prime-scam-phone-calls
Maybe you know someone who might need an alert.
( I have not got caller identification.)
It was amusing to hear the poor attempt but I expect a plague :-(
 Scam re renewal of Amazon Prime - zippy
Another scam where they want to take control of your computer.

Mother in law gets these all the time. She hasn’t got a computer and the language she gets from them when she tells them is disgusting.
 Scam re renewal of Amazon Prime - Ambo
Presumably the woman who was cheated of £25K had that amount in her bank account. How exactly are people cheated by pressing button 1? Does it dial up some kind of super-premium phone number for example?
>> Presumably the woman who was cheated of £25K had that amount in her bank account.
>> How exactly are people cheated by pressing button 1? Does it dial up some kind
>> of super-premium phone number for example?
>>

No, they persuade the victim to give them remote access to their computers and then steal bank details.
 Scam re renewal of Amazon Prime - martin aston
You are probably right on this one but there are some other scams which connect via super-premium lines.

I do wonder where they get their data as we only got the Amazon scam once and that was the week we had inadvertently taken out a Prime sub and cancelled it immediately. Probably a coincidence but you do wonder.

The one we get a lot is the recording of a plummy gent offering to "fix up" the problem and other odd Englush usage. Maybe he is held against his will and the message is a cry for help ;-).
>> You are probably right on this one but there are some other scams which connect
>> via super-premium lines.
>>
>> I do wonder where they get their data as we only got the Amazon scam
>> once and that was the week we had inadvertently taken out a Prime sub and
>> cancelled it immediately. Probably a coincidence but you do wonder.
>>
>> The one we get a lot is the recording of a plummy gent offering to
>> "fix up" the problem and other odd Englush usage. Maybe he is held against his
>> will and the message is a cry for help ;-).
>>

The maximum call charge in the UK is £3.60 per minute / £6 per call plus your telephone company's access charge.

Could you be transferred to a premium rate number abroad at much higher rates?

If so and it was criminal and you could show it was, then putting the phone company on notice that it was involved in a financial crime, such as transferring the proceeds of a crime to a foreign telephone company (though solicitors) would probably solicit some prompt action from them.
 Scam re renewal of Amazon Prime - martin aston
Hi zippy, premium rate lines abroad can be much more expensive than just the base call charge.

Googling suggests it's been an issue for years with costs per minute of £10 plus being quoted. There may be an element of urban myth here but I would never risk pressing a button in response to one of these calls.

I don't know how bona fide telcos react to claims but a wide range of scams seem to operate with only the odd high profile case being pursued and prosecuted.
Latest Forum Posts