Non-motoring > Karcher window vacuum thingies Miscellaneous
Thread Author: smokie Replies: 16

Karcher window vacuum thingies - smokie
Was anyone else conned into buying one of these useless devices?

I got mine cheap a few years back and as it re-surfaced during a recent garage-tidy I did some windows yesterday.

While it sort of does the job nicely, when I lift it off, and at the edges, there is water smudges remaining. So today I'm re-doing them with the usual stuff.
 Karcher window vacuum thingies - Netsur
I suspect these are designed to be used on very large panes such that the smudges at the sides are a very small proportion of the glass and overall there is a huge saving in time and effort. Certianly the adverts give this impression.

I can't see them being useful on traditional residential sized windows.
Probably true but it doesn't seem that much quicker than window cleaning fluid and a rag. You have to wash them first then go over them with the vacuum (then in my case go over them again with a soft cloth to clear the smudges).

Just looking at the advertising stuff, I wonder if I'm leaving too much water on the window i.e. expecting too much of it.
 Karcher window vacuum thingies - Duncan
>> I did some windows yesterday.
>>
>> While it sort of does the job nicely, when I lift it off, and at
>> the edges, there is water smudges remaining. So today I'm re-doing them with the usual
>> stuff.

Doesn't one have a chap come in to do that sort of thing?

Do you want me to send Mellors over? He is multi talented, I understand.
 Karcher window vacuum thingies - Zero
>
>> Do you want me to send Mellors over? He is multi talented, I understand.

Yes we have heard stories about you meddling with Mellors.
This was my first attempt at d-i-y for some years. We used to pay our window cleaner about £25 to do all the insides once in a while. I now prefer to use that money as beer tokens though :-)
 Karcher window vacuum thingies - No FM2R
Surely better to get the window cleaner to do it and use that time for drinking beer.
Good point but...

It was a faff when he came, had to go round and move all the junk from sound windows (SWMBO calls it "ornaments" and "memories" I think), also move some bits of furniture for access/protection, and open blinds etc etc, then go round again and put it all back afterwards. He never seemed that keen on doing it either.

(They are new-fangled window cleaners, come with a van with their own tank of water and hoses with long wands on - not a ladder in sight - and they leave the windows drippy on the outside but cos it's pure water it dries clean. Unlike the rain which usually follows him around...)
Last edited by: smokie on Tue 5 Nov 19 at 14:44
 Karcher window vacuum thingies - R.P.
Thanks for the tip I very nearly considered a purchase only yesterday.
 Karcher window vacuum thingies - sherlock47
We have 2 - the wife thinks they are wonderful. Definitely better than hand cleaning. Not sure that they would be any good on georgian or leaded lights.

Karcher window vacuum thingies - Dieselboy
We get some condensation during the winter and find the window vac useful for clearing it. I suppose decent windows would be a better option.
 Karcher window vacuum thingies - The Melting Snowman
My missus bought one a few years ago as they were on offer in Wilko's. If you've got large panes of glass then they might have some benefit. Generally I wasn't convinced and it got delegated to the utility room where it gathered dust. I then decided to pass it on to a charity shop.

We have a window cleaner who does the outsides and the char woman does the insides.
 Karcher window vacuum thingies - Aretas
Something wrong here. About a month ago I bought one from Aldi. It was complete with a spray gun and wiping cloth, together with cleaning concentrate. Wonderfully quick to clean all the house and conservatory windows. Never enjoyed doing windows before - buckets of water and smeary windows unless you flap around for ever. Fantastic result. Also, as mentioned above, the wiper/suction device is a miracle at removing early morning condensation.
Maybe I should try again sometime. Maybe it's my technique. I don't see how you can't end up with a line around the edges where the rubber can't reach into the corner between the glass and the frame.

I'd agree it's more fun than the other way but it simply didn't work as well for me.
 Karcher window vacuum thingies - Zero
>> Maybe I should try again sometime. Maybe it's my technique. I don't see how you
>> can't end up with a line around the edges where the rubber can't reach into
>> the corner between the glass and the frame.

It can be done, its a matter of technique and angles, watch a window cleaner with a squeegee
 Karcher window vacuum thingies - Roger.
We use original pink Windowlene for the insides and the new-fangled de-ionised water that is the travelling window cleaner's norm these days.
The former (hard to get: I buy from Amazon) works well, the latter not so well.
The best glass cleaner I ever used was the Autoglym pale blue/green stuff, but I cannot find it these days.
Clear, spray bottle, cleaners are pants and always leave smears, even using kitchen paper to finish them off.
 Karcher window vacuum thingies - CGNorwich
You don’t need fancy gadgets or products. You just need a good professional quality squeegee, well a large and a small one is good, and a bucket of warm water with a hint of washing up liquid. Entire house, 12 windows and a patio door takes just over an hour.
Latest Forum Posts