Non-motoring > Any electricians here? Miscellaneous
Thread Author: smokie Replies: 12

Any electricians here? - smokie
...or someone knowledgeable - we have a few of those don't we :-)

I bought a new model of wall light switch, WiFi and voice controllable of course. I'm experimenting with geofencing using IFTTT too :-) The exciting bit is that, unlike most of the other switches on the market, it doesn't require a neutral so is good for UK lighting rings.

It arrived today and I've just got it set up (on a "test bed" - my office). Initial WiFi config was a struggle but it's all working now.

I'm using it at the moment with a standard old fashioned light bulb, not LED.

The rather sparse manual is here dl.itead.cc/sonoff-t4eu1c/SONOFF_T4EU1C_user-manual.pdf

One of the bits in the box was the "flash elimination module". Fitting that today would have been too much effort so I didn't, and it seems to be working OK.

Anyone have any idea what it might do, and whether/when it's absence might make a difference?

One application for one of these switches would be for a ring of LED downlighters e.g. in my hall so where would I put the module, if required (I mean in the circuit!!)

(Aside 1 - I think I have found WiFi PIR switches which would enable hand over to this light switch the switching on of lights on based on movement detection but not have them switch themselves off after a few minutes like most PIR switches seem to)

(Aside 2 - Ultimately I would like to fit a few of these but the gubbins on the back of the switch makes it deeper than my wall pattresses (is that what the are??) so it's probably a longer term project than I thought. And they only have 1 gang switches at the moment, which don't require a neutral).

Any electricians here? - tyrednemotional
The Flash Elimination Module is designed to remove flicker when used with LED bulb(s)

(I suspected it was so, but confirmed by scrolling down to the wiring diagram in the page below)

www.itead.cc/sonoff-t4eu1c-wi-fi-smart-single-wire-wall-switch.html

You can get spacers for light switches for shallow "wall boxes" but they aren't the most unobtrusive solution (chiseling out and putting a deeper box in is better) and may well not fit a non-standard switch profile anyway.
Thanks. I wondered if it was LED related.

So on my circuit of LEDs (all on one switch) would I just need one Module for the circuit or one per bulb? If one for the circuit where would it go?

I have a couple of mates who are considerably better at diy than I. I might see if one of them feels he could replace the pattress without collateral damage.

There is an alternative switch which is just an inline switch which I could poke up in the ceiling somehow - but I don't think there'd be any manual override if the WiFi was down. And I guess I'd need something with that to stop LED flicker?
>> So on my circuit of LEDs (all on one switch) would I just need one
>> Module for the circuit or one per bulb? If one for the circuit where would
>> it go?
>>
That's a good question, and someone on the product support forum is asking the same (without any answer). ;-)

My suspicion would be that it is either adjusting the effective load upwards such that LED dimming will work, or adding some of the function of a trailing edge dimmer (as is usually recommended for dimmable LEDs) which would imply only one per circuit, but without further specs, your guess is as good as mine.
My guess is...uh... non-existent, as I'm out of my depth!! :-)

I'd not even thought to try the product forums. Never seen much of any value in them and they often don't seem to respond. But I'll have a look now...
support.itead.cc/support/discussions/topics/11000028767

(Not much use, I know, but probably indicative of the level of instructions available).
 Any electricians here? - Fursty Ferret
I imagine it's just a capacitor. Some LED lamps have a slight flicker when they're switched off because of capacitance in the wiring.
 Any electricians here? - sherlock47
>> I imagine it's just a capacitor. Some LED lamps have a slight flicker when they're
>> switched off because of capacitance in the wiring.
>

It can be more than a slight flicker! I have one bank of 3 leds of which 1 can very intermittently flash - more like a phone camera flash!
 Any electricians here? - Zero

>> It can be more than a slight flicker! I have one bank of 3 leds
>> of which 1 can very intermittently flash - more like a phone camera flash!

its broke, it needs replacing
 Any electricians here? - sherlock47
>>
>> >> It can be more than a slight flicker! I have one bank of 3
>> leds
>> >> of which 1 can very intermittently flash - more like a phone camera flash!
>>
>>
>> its broke, it needs replacing
>>

No - it is perfectly ok in another location!
 Any electricians here? - Zero
Its still broke, put another in its place and it will work!
 Any electricians here? - Kevin
>So on my circuit of LEDs (all on one switch) would I just need one Module for the circuit or one per bulb?

Since the lamps are in parallel installing one FEM effectively puts it across all the lamps in the circuit. I would install the FEM across the first lamp in the circuit (closest to the switch) and see what happens.

Also if you needed on per lamp I think they would be trying to flog additional FEMs.
Last edited by: Kevin on Tue 5 Nov 19 at 20:20
Makes sense, on both counts.
Latest Forum Posts