Non-motoring > Good Eats In Portsmouth? Miscellaneous
Thread Author: zippy Replies: 18

Good Eats In Portsmouth? - zippy
Seeing a pop group from the 80's in Portsmouth tomorrow.

I have been instructed by her nibs to find somewhere to dine before the event.

I want to avoid Gunwharf as its likely to be heaving.

Can anyone recommend anywhere decent - not Indian / Chinese as we have had too many of these recently?

Thanks,

Z
Just realised the time.

For later today!
 Good Eats In Portsmouth? - VxFan
Try downloading the 'Scores on the Doors' app.

Not only will it give you places to eat, it'll also give you the food hygiene rating too.

When I was in Poole back in the summer, the app listed a nearby Wetherspoons down a side street that otherwise I would have never known about. Not only was the food great, it was reasonably priced too, and so were the drinks.

Another bonus is that the App will give you directions if you've got Google Maps installed.
 Good Eats In Portsmouth? - Duncan
You are so lucky that I post on here.

Not one, not two, not three, but FOUR lovely pubs to choose from.

tinyurl.com/yjatr5l6

That is just one, taken at random. Reasonably priced, well kept beers. Good food, all very affordable.

AND, and, and the owner of the chain supports Brexit!

Well, I ask you. What more could any red-blooded Englishman want?
>> tinyurl.com/yjatr5l6

Doesn’t work for me
 Good Eats In Portsmouth? - Zero
Good Eats and Portsmouth are mutually exclusive. Its a gastronomic apocalypse.
 Good Eats In Portsmouth? - bathtub tom
Last time I was in Portsmouth (last year) I chanced upon this pub: goo.gl/maps/wteR4cXmWFSsuHaj8 next to the square tower.
Excellent, reasonably priced food.
I know you wanted to avoid Gunwharf, but there is an excellent pub there

www.theoldcustomshouse.com/
 Good Eats In Portsmouth? - Bromptonaut
>> Good Eats and Portsmouth are mutually exclusive. Its a gastronomic apocalypse.

I'd agree. Caught overnight ferry to Caen in Aug 18 and needed eats before. Found somewhere near ferryport but Scampi and Chips accompanied by stale beer didn't inspire.
 Good Eats In Portsmouth? - Manatee
Other than the cafe in the dockyards museum which was terrible, the last time I had a meal in Pompey was at the Loch Fyne at Gunwharf Quays. You might still be able to book a table. Possibly more wife-friendly and occasion-appropriate than 'spoons (although I'd go 'spoons if I could get away with it).
 Good Eats In Portsmouth? - Duncan
I have always been disappointed by Loch Fyne. There is (was?) one in Cobham.
 Good Eats In Portsmouth? - Zero
>> I have always been disappointed by Loch Fyne. There is (was?) one in Cobham.

Is, the old Little White Lion. I find Loch Fyne variable in general.
 Good Eats In Portsmouth? - Mike H
Eastney Tavern has a good reputation.

Went to Steki Taverna greek restaurant in Osborne Road a couple of months ago, that wasn't bad.

Bella Calabria (italian) in London Road was OK, but they used to have a 6pm and 8:30pm sitting.

I wouldn't have thought Gunwharf would be heaving in the middle of the week, but most of the places there are overpriced chains. Not been in the Old Customs House.

HTH
 Good Eats In Portsmouth? - R.P.
Which group Zippy !
OMD

FaNtAsTiC show!

Annoyingly they are performing 5 miles from home soon but were fully booked between me getting the email and a phone signal strong enough to be able to book!

Packed at the Guildhall everyone dancing!

Best laid plans of mice and men meant we couldn’t plan dinner so went to a “dirty” burger bar called 7 Bone. It was ok, well on trend with burgers that ooze - not quite my thing but totally edible and considering the place was absolutely rammed, service was very good.
 Good Eats In Portsmouth? - R.P.
They were on my list in the 80s. May have another look now ! Thanks.
 Good Eats In Portsmouth? - Bromptonaut
Coincidence OMD should come up now. Only last weekend I realised Joan of Arc and Maid of Orleans had both dropped off my 'all time faves' playlist. Added from Amazon.

Zippy - any idea who was drumming for them?

There drummer a few years ago was a uni contemporary of my son (drummer was mature student). Tom being a rock fan was keen to chat with guy.
The drummer last night was Stuart Kershaw.

Andy McCluskey Was bouncing around the stage! He was clear enjoying himself and the rubbed off on the audience.
Sorry for typos / grammar above, as using my phone.
Latest Forum Posts