Non-motoring > Fire At Student Halls Miscellaneous
Thread Author: zippy Replies: 11

Fire At Student Halls - zippy
www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-manchester-50438177

I hope everyone is safe!

When my daughter was at uni, she was in halls for the first year. The lad in the room next to hers threw a cigarette butt into his bin which had the remains of some cheap spirits in it and the resultant fire burnt out his room and blew the windows out.

Save for a little smoke damage there was little other damage to the flat let alone the building.

The lad was arrested for arson but charges dropped when it was shown that it was a stupid error.

I got a phone call at 3AM from the police to tell me she was OK then her to say she was homeless and kipping on the floor of one of her course mates and could I send supplies. (Thanks Amazon Prime and Argos.)
 Fire At Student Halls - Lygonos
>20 yrs ago some Glasgow fireman were sacked after leaving a bunch of scantily clad students in the freezing cold "to teach them a lesson" after yet another call out for smoke detectors being set off by burnt toast.

Couple of the girls ended up needing treatment for hypothermia.

No doubt the same guys who used to use the blues-and-twos to get to the chippie before it closed every Friday night!
 Fire At Student Halls - Bromptonaut
>> >20 yrs ago some Glasgow fireman were sacked after leaving a bunch of scantily clad
>> students in the freezing cold "to teach them a lesson" after yet another call out
>> for smoke detectors being set off by burnt toast.

At least two residents interviewed for media have said they ignored alarm at first because it was always going off.

I've spent time out on street on several occasions because of toast incidents in offices. LFB guys said they should be banned. Another time it was somebody who'd put a potato in microwave, inadvertently multiplied cooking time by 10 and then forgotten about it.

That did quite a lot of damage to kitchenette as well as writing off the microwave.
 Fire At Student Halls - Manatee
When my house virtually burnt down, the toast detectors didn't go off. I think Bobby had a similar experience.
 Fire At Student Halls - Zero
>> When my house virtually burnt down, the toast detectors didn't go off. I think Bobby
>> had a similar experience.

They are smoke detectors, not fire detectors. Depending on the fire, location and building airflow they could be frazzled by heat before the smoke gets to them. The same way you could be killed by smoke before the fire ever gets to you.
Last edited by: Zero on Sat 16 Nov 19 at 11:25
 Fire At Student Halls - Bobby
>>When my house virtually burnt down, the toast detectors didn't go off. I think Bobby had a similar experience.

Correct.

Our fire spread up the timber frame inside of the brick wall cavity, up to the loft and fully engulfed that. No smoke alarms went off!
 Fire At Student Halls - Zero
The BBC News has just said "A building covered in cladding". Maybe it was, but clearly the fire spread has nothing to do with it from pictures I can see. Its internal fire, internal spread, exhausting through windows.

Bad reporting BBC.
 Fire At Student Halls - R.P.
Toast

When I worked in a large modern building we had to use toast "sheaths" to make toasts to stop them burning and setting off alarms and sprinklers.
 Fire At Student Halls - zippy
>> Toast
>>
>> When I worked in a large modern building we had to use toast "sheaths" to
>> make toasts to stop them burning and setting off alarms and sprinklers.
>>

It’s always good advice to use protection to stop unwanted burning!
 Fire At Student Halls - The Melting Snowman
Not as much fun though, can't feel anything.

Years ago we had a work placement student from distant lands, who obviously had not come across a microwave before. He put a tin of soup in the microwave. I'm not sure whether the tin was unopened or not but apparently it caused a bit of a problem. I was on holiday at the time but heard about it afterwards.
 Fire At Student Halls - Bobby
Toast.

When I worked in Sainsburys in Braehead Centre in Glasgow the fire alarm system had a 30 second internal alert before it went full bhoona.

I was sitting in canteen having my breakfast when I heard someone shout blast (or words to that affect) , my toast is burning. Knowing what would happen next, I sprinted to the other end of the store where the fire panel was, hearing the internal sounder going. Got to the panel and managed to silence it approximately one second after it went full bhoona. Feeling pleased with myself that I had averted a store exodus, I went back and finished my breakfast.

Ten mins later I get a call to the customer service desk to see a fire chief - that one second of full bhoona alarm had sent a signal through to the centre which had been totally evacuated and several fire appliances had been summoned. Meanwhile our store was continuing as if nothing had happened!

The fire chief gave me an absolute bawliking for my actions. I tried to explain that I was sitting next to the burning toast, I knew the reason etc but he was not having it!
 Fire At Student Halls - bathtub tom
I was working in an office building one Saturday when I heard 'blues & twos' outside. Looking out I could see the fire brigade trying to get into the building. No alarm was going off. I went down and spoke to them. They told me they had an alert and asked if I knew where the fire control panel was? No clue!
Eventually found it, which indicated a trigger several floors up. Went there to find a colleague cheerfully chewing a piece of toast with the detector above their desk chirruping away and flashing red!
The system was given a thorough overhaul and update with regular tests.
Latest Forum Posts