Non-motoring > Clearing out junk Miscellaneous
Thread Author: bathtub tom Replies: 15

Clearing out junk - bathtub tom
I'm having a clear out of old, unused stuff. Putting it on Freecycle with the more valuable items going on Gumtree and facebook market place.
I keep getting 'is this available messages?', with no follow up if I confirm it is. Once getting the message within a minute of posting the item.
Is it some kind of code I don't understand?
 Clearing out junk - Manatee
Try saying no, and see what happens?
 Clearing out junk - legacylad
I’ve been decluttering my life for a few months now. Getting a new combi boiler and removing 2 CW storage tanks in the loft was a good reason to sort it.
Lots of stuff to charity shops, but other stuff they don’t accept. Cue ‘seek and sell’ websites, I advertise as free and give my phone number. Lots and lots of messages but very few people phone. Those that do get first dibs.
I reply to messages saying the free item is still available, and that’s the last I hear. How odd.
 Clearing out junk - The Melting Snowman
>> Is it some kind of code I don't understand?

No I don't think so. It's just someone inadvertently clicking the button.

I've used FB Marketplace a lot recently, with stuff from two family house clearances and some of our own decluttering. I find it excellent. You get the odd time-waster but overall my experiences have been positive. In fact I stopped using freecycle a while ago and just put stuff on Marketplace listed as 'free to collector'. It's amazing what people will take if free, even part-used tins of paint.
 Clearing out junk - No FM2R
>>No I don't think so. It's just someone inadvertently clicking the button.

Exactly that. Easily done.
 Clearing out junk - legacylad
Still doesn’t explain, why, when I clearly state on FB Seek & Sell “please phone” and they still send a message. Pick up the goddam phone, speak to me, it’s not a long conversation. Goes something like...”it’s still available, when can you collect the free item, that’s fine, this is my address, see you then, cheerio”.
Muppets
 Clearing out junk - bathtub tom
>> Try saying no, and see what happens?

Exactly the same when I reply 'yes', nothing.
 Clearing out junk - sooty123
Many people will chase several items on fb marketplace at the same time, so it's expected that if you message them back they'll have probably moved on or bought some thing else by the time they see your reply.
 Clearing out junk - VxFan
>> I keep getting 'is this available messages?'

From what I gather, some people do it because they don't know the correc way to turn notifications on for a post, and are simply highlighting the post to be able to return to it later, or get a message that someone else has left a comment.
 Clearing out junk - Dulwich Estate II
I don't do FaceBook. eBay and a local area forum have done OK for me on items with a price, otherwise they vanish in minutes on Freecycle.

The costs of the eBay and PayPal mafia are mighty irritating though.

Is FB marketplace worth a go ?
 Clearing out junk - CGNorwich
I have tried getting rid of stuff on things like Gumtree and Freecycle but to be honest people are such a pain that everything now goes in the bin down the local authority recycling centre
 Clearing out junk - Robin O'Reliant
Funny thing with old junk. Shortly after getting rid of it you find you desperately need it for something.
 Clearing out junk - The Melting Snowman
>>Still doesn’t explain, why, when I clearly state on FB Seek & Sell “please phone” and they still send a message

Because unfortunately many can't read. I often put in uppercase text that I will not accept lower offers than the advertised price and that it is cash on collection only. Yet I still get the odd comedian offering a low offer or asking if I will post the item. I just ignore them now.

Overall I am impressed with FB Marketplace. My experience has been overwhelmingly positive. You get the odd time-waster in all walks of life.
Last edited by: The Melting Snowman on Sat 30 Nov 19 at 13:01
 Clearing out junk - Slightlyfatdirector
We got rid of some bulky stuff via eBay with 'Collection Only'; and had good success, but also tried FB marketplace for local free ads to get rid of stuff quickly, and we have bought some good bargains this way ourselves.

Being sensible people, if we want something listed on there we go back straight away, say we want to buy it at the price listed and how fast can we come and give you the cash to take it away?

Sometimes we miss the boat by a few minutes and are surprised that people don't reply out of courtesy to say it is already sold, but hey.

It turns out that a lot of the public are not like us......

The issues were the number of questions and hassle involved in getting to close a transaction!

Was selling a big glass door display cabinet and gave the dimensions. "Will it fit in my car?" is the first question. I don't know.... Give me a clue as to what car and why not go and look at it with a tape measure?! Can you deliver? When can you deliver? urm, no, I have not offered to delivery, I have offered collection only...

Then lots of faffing around "can I send you the money via a transfer next week?" Can't collect tomorrow, but maybe in two weeks. ArGH!!!

Nah, too much hassle now. If it is too bulky to post then I will take it to the charity shop and gift-aid it. If I can post it / parcel it then I stick it on eBay and mainly stick it on at 99p to start and see where it goes. As long as we cover the postage cost in the listing I view everything else as profit.

What I am amazed at is the amount of rubbish people bother listing. Old worn out training shoes for 50p. Really!!!???!!!
 Clearing out junk - Slightlyfatdirector
We got rid of some bulky stuff via eBay with 'Collection Only'; and had good success, but also tried FB marketplace for local free ads to get rid of stuff quickly, and we have bought some good bargains this way ourselves.

Being sensible people, if we want something listed on there we go back straight away, say we want to buy it at the price listed and how fast can we come and give you the cash to take it away?

Sometimes we miss the boat by a few minutes and are surprised that people don't reply out of courtesy to say it is already sold, but hey.

It turns out that a lot of the public are not like us......

The issues were the number of questions and hassle involved in getting to close a transaction!

Was selling a big glass door display cabinet and gave the dimensions. "Will it fit in my car?" is the first question. I don't know.... Give me a clue as to what car and why not go and look at it with a tape measure?! Can you deliver? When can you deliver? urm, no, I have not offered to delivery, I have offered collection only...

Then lots of faffing around "can I send you the money via a transfer next week?" Can't collect tomorrow, but maybe in two weeks. ArGH!!!

Nah, too much hassle now. If it is too bulky to post then I will take it to the charity shop and gift-aid it. If I can post it / parcel it then I stick it on eBay and mainly stick it on at 99p to start and see where it goes. As long as we cover the postage cost in the listing I view everything else as profit.

What I am amazed at is the amount of rubbish people bother listing. Old worn out training shoes for 50p. Really!!!???!!!
 Clearing out junk - Dave_
>> Is FB marketplace worth a go ?

Yes, if you know how to play it. Never, ever list anything for free - all you get is people who like free stuff but have no idea what it is or how they're going to get it home. Or how to keep appointments, or follow directions. If you've got something worthless, list it for 50p, or £5 if you like. It weeds out the bottom 10%.

Be prepared to haggle. If you want £30 for something, list it at £50. You might get lucky and sell to someone at full price.

It's great for items that would cost too much to post due to their size or weight, and results are much quicker than eBay. We have recently shifted some used laminate flooring, two tired Dyson cleaners and an obsolete Ikea rug. Previous sales have included sets of winter wheels & tyres, a petrol lawnmower and a three piece suite.

And it's (ostensibly) free. Think of it as gumtree but with a hundred times as many active users.
Latest Forum Posts