Non-motoring > Thunberg Legal Questions
Thread Author: No FM2R Replies: 65

Thunberg - No FM2R

It's in Spanish, but I'm sure you'll work it out.

somatemps.me/2019/12/02/pillan-a-greta-thunberg-y-a-su-madre-con-un-sillon-de-cuero-animal-de-6-000-euros/

At the moment I am so wary of fake news that I take everything with a pinch of salt. But if it is true, then that'd kind of be the problem with sitting on a pedestal.
 Thunberg - sooty123
She bought a chair made from an animal for €6000?

My Spanish is pretty much nil.
 Thunberg - No FM2R
Yes. Both things she decries, including the manufacturing process.
 Thunberg - Bromptonaut
Her chair or her Mother's?

My Spanish is limited to/by Google translate.
Last edited by: Bromptonaut on Fri 6 Dec 19 at 09:08
 Thunberg - Bromptonaut
Googling 'Eames Chair' suggests the item at issue is the white one in background and not the item Greta and Mother are sitting on.

Am I missing something?
 Thunberg - Manatee
>> Googling 'Eames Chair' suggests the item at issue is the white one in background and
>> not the item Greta and Mother are sitting on.
>>
>> Am I missing something?

I assume not but I suppose I could be missing the same thing.

I fancy a couple for our new house for telly watching. Like the AC Cobra, most of the ones you see are imitations rather than originals or authentic licensed reproductions so that would be my assumption unless somebody has actually verified its authenticity and leatheriness.

That's reminded me of something that happened about 30 years ago. I had a meeting with some senior people from a supplier that was held in the boardroom of the company I worked for. It was minimally and expensively furnished with a very large glass-topped table and about 20 Eames office chairs, the beautiful cast aluminium things with armrests and a black leather seat and backrest, on pedestals with castors. The castors presumably had the finest of ball bearings in them, because the FD of the supplier sat heavily in her chair and it set off backwards across the uncarpeted floor at speed, for at least ten feet, until it hit the edge of a thick oriental rug in the adjacent lounge area where it tipped over backwards and chucked her on the floor. Fortunately she laughed before anyone else did. It certainly broke the ice.
 Thunberg - CGNorwich
Perhaps best to check it out before passing it on.
 Thunberg - No FM2R
Perhaps best not to read it if doubt is too much for you.
 Thunberg - Lygonos

Well that was a waste of 5 minutes of my life!
 Thunberg - Zero
>>
>> Well that was a waste of 5 minutes of my life!

Try sitting in a sterile waiting room, gowned up, compression stockings on, with no food or water for 5 hours a day.
 Thunberg - Lygonos
>>Try sitting in a sterile waiting room, gowned up, compression stockings on, with no food or water for 5 hours a day

Nah, I'll leave that to the plebs while I play golf.
 Thunberg - Zero
If I bump into my consultant and the CEO of the trust on the golf course, they will suddenly find they have an increased handicap.
 Thunberg - Roger.
>> If I bump into my consultant and the CEO of the trust on the golf
>> course, they will suddenly find they have an increased handicap.
>>
You said it :-)
 Thunberg - Roger.
St. Greta is a manipulated and delusional child.
There has to be money involved somewhere.
 Thunberg - Manatee
>> St. Greta is a manipulated and delusional child.
>> There has to be money involved somewhere.

Hello Roger, I hope you're well.

Maybe you're right, maybe not. I suspect not, but it doesn't really matter. It's what she says that matters, or not.

No doubt the powerful men who dismiss environmental concerns, extinction and climate change as problems - who are IMO the ones obsessed with money and keeping it to themselves - would be very happy if she and those who broadly agree with her could be dismissed as deluded, manipulated or rubbished by association with supposedly hypocritical parents.

But the elephant in the room continues to be the unsustainability, and not just in the long term, of a world economy that depends on continual growth.
 Thunberg - Duncan
I try to avoid this Thunberg nonsense. I keep thinking "why isn't she in school/college?"

I read that the woman who accompanied Thunberg on the crossing flew to USA? - business class - in order to join her on the sail back! When asked 'Why go?', 'Why go business class'., she got quite grumpy and said 'Because I have a bad knee'!

She completely failed to see the irony.
 Thunberg - CGNorwich
“The endless conspiracy theories and denial of facts.
The lies, hate and bullying of children who communicate and act on the science.
All because some adults - terrified of change - so desperately don't want to talk about the #ClimateCrisis
This is hope in disguise.
We're winning.

Greta Thunberg

Seems about right to me.
 Thunberg - Roger.
The climate of earth has ALWAYS changed.
No one has ever been able to alter that.
 Thunberg - Bromptonaut
>> No one has ever been able to alter that.

You can if you burn off a few million years worth of carbon deposits in less than two centuries......
Last edited by: Bromptonaut on Fri 6 Dec 19 at 18:04
 Thunberg - Manatee
>> The climate of earth has ALWAYS changed.

Doesn't mean to say we can't make it worse.

I don't mean to be unkind, but you can better afford to bet you are right than your grandchildren.

Then there are all the other environmental factors, extinction (bees?) and the whole sustainability question. You'd really have to be a proper ostrich to rubbish those concerns.
 Thunberg - legacylad
Talking of bees, at the recent funeral I attended of my ex FiL, my ex presented all the mourners with a ‘bee bomb’. A small hessian sack containing cube like bundles of seeds, which when developed, attract bees.
He liked nothing better than to sit in his garden, after mowing the lawn, glass of wine in hand, listening to bird song and police sirens. It was Keighley.

On the BBC website today in a photo of Greta Thunberg, I thought she bore a striking resemblance to ET. And I haven’t even had a beer yet.

Being so damp and misty this afternoon I’ve lit my stove, put on some logs I chumped last year, and added some fossil fuel for good measure.
 Thunberg - Terry
A few slightly more objective thoughts to counter the nonsense:

The climate has always changed - but usually over geological or at least centennial timescales, not decadal. And when it did change (all bar the last few thousand years) man (and woman!) were hunter gatherers and simply moved if sea levels, rain, sun, flora and fauna was a problem.

Thunberg may be a bright young lady - but I am also convinced she will be dumped by those controlling her actions (environmental campaigners?) when she has outlived her usefulness.

Only the profoundly complacent would deny that climate change may be happening. Just reflect on the fact that we are burning fossil fuels at something around 1,000,000 the rate at which they were laid down.

Homo sapiens (us) have torn down rainforests, drained swamps, created deserts where once there was life, polluted the oceans, made extinction of flora and fauna commonplace. And it is difficult to be critical of those in the third world struggling for clean water and adequate food - mostly it is the wealthy who overconsume and exploit scarce resources.

And in these wealthy societies we (me included) are reluctant to change our profligate ways. We demand the right to reproduce when reproduction is possibly the most destructive environmental behaviour - it perpetuates the damage for a further 80+ years.

The optimum global population may be 10% of current levels - a point at which no environmental degradation need be evident for possibly millenia.

Politicians who could actually do something to respond are too concerned with power and influence. Putting in place controls which would materially reduce emissions would be hugely unpopular and the electorate would vote with their feet. So they simply tinker in the margins!

And sadly nothing much will change until there is a truly major climate induced event - eg: major cities (London, New York etc) under water, Sydney fully succumbing to the bush fires, persistent droughts or desertification around the Mediterranean coast, etc.

The climate scientists have not communicated the dangers well - they assume that we will all respond to fluffy animals and the plight of polar bears and penguins. It is not working, not is the oft repeated mantra that we are in the last chance saloon - it simply lacks credibility.

Just to be clear - I am not an environmental nutter. I didn't vote for the green party. I know I am at least averagely guilty of negative climate behaviours. I do worry for my children and grandchildren - I am sufficiently past it that it doesn't matter.

Thunberg - Robin O'Reliant
>>
>> We demand the right to reproduce when reproduction is possibly the most destructive environmental behaviour
- it perpetuates the damage for a further 80+ years.

The optimum global population may be 10% of current levels - a point at which
no environmental degradation need be evident for possibly millenia.

Politicians who could actually do something to respond are too concerned with power and influence.
Putting in place controls which would materially reduce emissions would be hugely unpopular and the
electorate would vote with their feet. So they simply tinker in the margins!
>>
>>
^^This^^

We've gone forth and multiplied since the dawn of time and long passed the point where anything could be done about it. The Chinese made an attempt, but it didn't last and was dismissed by the rest of the world as being draconian and an infringement of human rights.

But then, we were never going to be here for ever just like any other species. We have limited time left where the planet has the conditions which support human life and all the shutting the fridge doors and turning the lights off in the world won't help.
 Thunberg - Zero
So essentially, its gone too far, nowt to be done.

Which is fine by me, I have 25 years max left on this shrivelling globe, its not going to get unbearable by then, so its party to excess on the titanic deck for me.
 Thunberg - Lygonos
>>so its party to excess on the titanic deck for me.

Shouldn't that be the poop deck?
 Thunberg - Zero
Oh HAR de HAR
 Thunberg - Roger.
Greta (Saint). A Stepford child.
If humanity ceases to exist - so what?
Drink, eat and be merry, for tomorrow we die.
Happy New Year :-)
 Thunberg - Lygonos
And that is why 80 year olds shouldn't be deciding the future for the rest of us!

Happy New Year Roger - lang may yer lum reek!
 Thunberg - zippy
She happened to be on the news earlier.

I was quite taken that her grasp of English is better than many native speakers.

Reading the Telegraph and other similar papers that seem to dig dirt and try to discredit her makes me think there is more truth in what she is saying than many want to admit.

The problem is the cost of even the smallest changes - no one wants to pay. The richest in the world will be those that will feel the impact of global warming the least. it in the poorest countries that will suffer droughts and in low lying countries like Bangladesh, more severe flooding.
 Thunberg - Lygonos
The message is simple, and should hit a chord with Tory values:

Live within your means.

Unfortunately the politics of greed Trump that.

Thunberg reminds me of my 11 year old - material goods mean absolutely nothing to him - he can't be persuaded by bribing or threatening, only reason.

Pretty sure he's on the spectrum too.

Bit like his old man.
 Thunberg - Roger.
>> And that is why 80 year olds shouldn't be deciding the future for the rest
>> of us!
>>
>> Happy New Year Roger - lang may yer lum reek!
>>

Oye - I'll have you know that I'm 84 as of last month. :-)

Our local Conservative Association (with the biggest swing ever recorded from Labour to Conservative) is having a Brexit Party on the 31st. January - and our new MP has joined the ERG!

Happy days :-)
 Thunberg - No FM2R
What is it about Brexit that makes you happy? What, that is good, are you expecting from it?
 Thunberg - CGNorwich
Hey, that’s my question. Never been answered though.
 Thunberg - No FM2R
Well you've been so rubbish at getting it answered, I thought someone else better give it a go.
 Thunberg - devonite
Wait a few years, then you'll realise twas the best thing ever! in fact tis such a good idea that Spain and now Poland are considering doing the same ! ;-)
 Thunberg - Zero
Err - No they aint.
 Thunberg - No FM2R
>>then you'll realise twas the best thing ever!

That would be excellent. Can you give me any idea what things you expect to be better?
 Thunberg - devonite
Well we are coming out' so why think anything different? Embrace it, make it work, feel proud of England again! - As for me I'll probably be gone! so it's all up to you lot! ;-)
 Thunberg - No FM2R
>feel proud of England again

I'd probably best leave that to the English.

But I've always been proud of the UK. Slightly less proud at the moment, it has to be said, but proud nonetheless.
 Thunberg - Ambo
Maybe a preference for freedom, democracy, that kind of thing?
 Thunberg - No FM2R
>> Maybe a preference for freedom, democracy, that kind of thing?

We're leaving, so let's hope you're right and we all get to enjoy the new wave of freedom and democracy. Well, except the freedom that comes with movement, of course.
Last edited by: No FM2R on Fri 3 Jan 20 at 13:42
 Thunberg - CGNorwich
m.youtube.com/watch?v=oW2QZ7KuaxA
 Thunberg - devonite
very good CG! - which one will you play' the tin-man or the Lion? ;-)
 Thunberg - CGNorwich
I fear we are following the Scarecrow in search of a brain.
 Thunberg - Zero
Hey stop it. The patriot brexiteers have delivered it, now its up to you remoaners to make it work. If it doesn't work its gonna be your fault.
 Thunberg - henry k
Pay attention at the back :-)

www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-50989594
 Thunberg - Falkirk Bairn
I never agreed with anything from Greta - well until a few months back.

16 year old Schoolgirl with no qualifications lectures the United Nations

She stated "I should not be here, I should be at school in Sweden"

I agree with her.
 Thunberg - Bromptonaut
>> 16 year old Schoolgirl with no qualifications lectures the United Nations

She's probably better qualified then people like Nigel Lawson and Charles Moore who get trotted out to speak for the deniers.
 Thunberg - Manatee
>> >> 16 year old Schoolgirl with no qualifications lectures the United Nations
>>
>> She's probably better qualified then people like Nigel Lawson and Charles Moore who get trotted
>> out to speak for the deniers.

Absolutely. In fact she *is* an expert in the causes and effects of climate change as they are understood (I say that without irony) in the same way that any of us can be if we trouble to seek out information and try to form a reasonably objective view. What is special about her is her reach, simply because she is a 16 year old schoolgirl who is asking questions of governments and the UN. If Trump wasn't an idiot he would realise that rubbishing Thunberg does him and his views more damage than it does her, and her message.

What tests my patience is people who find one opposing view and latch on to it as conclusive evidence that climate change is a scam: also, in the past, news media that have presented a very unbalanced view in the guise of balance by giving equal airtime to a climate scientist from the 99% who think climate change is real, anthropogenic and dangerous and also to a denier (often a politician rather than a scientist) who prefers to select from the 1% minority view.

To that I add the deniers' claims that those in the majority hold their opinions insincerely because of vested interests, when it is clear that the most vested interests are those of powerful industries whose activities are largely the cause of the problem.
Last edited by: Manatee on Sat 4 Jan 20 at 10:59
 Thunberg - Bromptonaut
>> To that I add the deniers' claims that those in the majority hold their opinions
>> insincerely because of vested interests, when it is clear that the most vested interests are
>> those of powerful industries whose activities are largely the cause of the problem.

Exactly.

If there was a plausible alternative scenario and a group of reputable researchers coming to some degree of consensus around it 'big oil' and other industries would be showering them in money.
 Thunberg - zippy
Manatee, as a sea fairing creature you should declare a vested interest! :-)

Totally agree with your comment btw.

Just wait for the first climate change war (drought ridden countries invade water rich nations!?)

And those industries with vested interests will still make money selling arms!
 Thunberg - Zero

>> Just wait for the first climate change war (drought ridden countries invade water rich nations!?)

Fortunately they have no navy, so they wont get very far.
 Thunberg - Terry
Some posters may recall a man called Al Gore (US vice president) who in 2006 promoted a film called "An Inconvenient Truth".

A rubbish film probably promoted to secure a political advantage at the time - but just because you don't like the consequences of Gretas juvenile outpourings does not make her wrong.

Head in the sand and party 'til you drop is fine if you are 60+ and have no regard for your fellow humanity or family. It's also fine if you believe nothing can be done to avoid the "catastrophe" - it has been left far too late!

If the boat you are sailing on hits an inconvenient rock and starts to sink do you (a) say "stuff it" and carry on with the free booze or (b) put a life jacket on, climb into a raft and hope help gets there before you expire?
 Thunberg - Zero
>> Head in the sand and party 'til you drop is fine if you are 60+
>> and have no regard for your fellow humanity or family. It's also fine if you
>> believe nothing can be done to avoid the "catastrophe" - it has been left far
>> too late!

Because its global, both in cause and effect, I suspect its not fixable in the short term, and the short term is all we have left to fix it, because it requires coordinated global action*, and to be frank that simply aint gonna happen.

Some global financial commercial economies are now appreciating that climate change will effect their bottom line in the medium term, and that money is to be made in the eco field, so stuff is happening there (the UK's dramatic and recent shift to wind power for example)

Given that, I'm off to the bar for the free booze, the lifeboat is for the idealists.

*action is not just emissions, its renewable energy, its the food chain, its population control and management, its political co-ordination (which means throwing trump in the nearest bio digester) its technology, its finance etc etc.....
Last edited by: Zero on Sat 4 Jan 20 at 12:59
>>
>>
>> Because its global, both in cause and effect, I suspect its not fixable in the
>> short term, and the short term is all we have left to fix it, because
>> it requires coordinated global action*, and to be frank that simply aint gonna happen.
>>
>> Some global financial commercial economies are now appreciating that climate change will effect their bottom
>> line in the medium term, and that money is to be made in the eco
>> field, so stuff is happening there (the UK's dramatic and recent shift to wind power
>> for example)
>>
>> Given that, I'm off to the bar for the free booze, the lifeboat is for
>> the idealists.
>>
>>
>> *action is not just emissions, its renewable energy, its the food chain, its population control
>> and management, its political co-ordination (which means throwing trump in the nearest bio digester) its
>> technology, its finance etc etc.....
>>

Pretty much right. To make any meaningful reduction in climate change would involve measures which are politically unacceptable, at least for the moment. And if we ever decide that they are it will already be too late.
 Thunberg - No FM2R
>>She's probably better qualified then....

Garbage.

She isn't qualified at anything or for anything beyond the band wagon she is currently riding.

Nothing wrong with her desires/goals for a more Environmentally responsible approach but she knows absolutely nothing about how or what to do. She is a young kid, with challenges, being led by the nose.
 Thunberg - Bromptonaut
>> Garbage.
>>
>> She isn't qualified at anything or for anything beyond the band wagon she is currently
>> riding.

Perhaps I should have said better read on the subject rather than better qualified.

>>She is a young kid, with challenges, being led by the nose.

Serious question - who is leading her?
 Thunberg - No FM2R

>> Perhaps I should have said better read on the subject rather than better qualified.

OK, but I don't think even that is correct. From interviews with her Father then it would appear that she is driven by the emotions of a child, rather than any knowledge. Not that that is wrong, she is a child, but the media and certain sectors of society appear to be putting her on a pedestal.

>> >>She is a young kid, with challenges, being led by the nose.
>>
>> Serious question - who is leading her?

All those seeking fame, relevance or importance by association. Be they corporate yacht owners, media representatives, politicians or any of the rest. All of whom are using her as a vehicle.

I know of mature adults who have failed to cope with this level of attention, never mind a young girl, and one with challenges at that.

The whole debacle is appalling.

Of course the world should pay more attention to environmental issues, but she's not making that more likely. It's a side show for the glory of those who can get close enough.

She's a child, FFS. Not the second coming of the Sky Fairy.

I hope she and her life survive both the attention now and the loneliness when it's gone. Exploitation at its worst.
 Thunberg - Roger.
conservativewoman.co.uk/the-world-goes-climate-crazy-just-to-make-one-problem-child-happy
 Thunberg - Zero

Do you seek out rubbish like this to support your views, or are you influenced by them. I'm not sure. I see your choice of reading is wildly pro trump as well. quelle suprise.

You were born in the wrong age, should have been marching at Oswald Mosleys side.
 Thunberg - zippy
www.independent.co.uk/news/world/australasia/australia-wildfires-dunnarts-wildlife-cockatoo-animal-deaths-kangaroo-island-a9270966.html

Terrible situation and the Australian PM and apparently many MPs in the Australian parliament don't believe in global warming. The country is still a major coal user and producer so that might have something to do with their stance.

Mrs Z spoke to her uncle today who is about 50 miles from the nearest fire but says the air is thick and acrid.

He is in his mid 80s and not very well at the moment, needing help with his breathing after an operation.

There is only one road in and out of the village where he lives and it is likely that he will need to be evacuated if the fire gets too much closer.
I have a cousin who lives about 25k north of Sidney and he reckons they have escaped so far, but are worried nevertheless. There is a body of opinion which thinks that Australia may become uninhabitable in twenty or thirty years time, something that will happen in many other parts of the world too. The danger to the human race may not come from a warming planet itself, but from the conflict that arises as countries fight for decreasing resources and habitable land.

What are the chances of anyone born in 2020 reaching three score and ten? Predictions of what is going to happen in the future are often completely wrong, but from what we are beginning to understand about our planets ability to sustain us things don't look good.
 Thunberg - Terry
Unless we try to get control over the climate the future may be bleak. It will not be "party til you drop. The end". And we may fail - but should at least try.

The probability is for drought and famine impacts being increasingly widespread. A growing population will exacerbate this.

Those initially unaffected will find that they have increasing problems with:

- refugees (seeking refuge),
- inability to import foodstuffs if required,
- a totalitarian regime emboldened to force through social and economic change

This will not be remotely comfortable - the quest to minimise emissions in the hope that it leads to salvation. War and disease are entirely plausible outcomes as we fight over diminishing resources.
 Thunberg - Zero
With reference to Australia, sure its bad, but its not the worse in the last 50 years by some margin.

What is unusual is the high ambient temperatures across most states.
 Thunberg - bathtub tom
>> Terrible situation and the Australian PM and apparently many MPs in the Australian parliament don't
>> believe in global warming. The country is still a major coal user and producer so
>> that might have something to do with their stance.

I believe the majority of Austalia's electricity is coal produced. IIRC they also have a non-nuclear policy, perhaps a result of the nuclear tests in their country. Didn't they once have a disagreement with an American warship about not allowing it to dock because the yanks wouldn't confirm or deny it had nuclear capability?
 Thunberg - Zero

>> I believe the majority of Austalia's electricity is coal produced.

Strange for a country with more solar power potential than any other in the world.

Latest Forum Posts