Non-motoring > Brochan Lom - Puirt a beul (mouth music) Miscellaneous
Thread Author: zippy Replies: 7

Brochan Lom - Puirt a beul (mouth music) - zippy
I caught Whisky Galore again recently and a bit I really enjoy is the nonsense folk song about porridge "Brochan Lom" and it's preformed without instruments.

www.youtube.com/watch?v=jVTC9utUcC4

It always brings me to huge smile, though I cant seem to find other examples that have the same naturalness and importantly lack of instrumentation. Does anyone know of any other songs sung in the same manner? I think it helps that is seems to be sung in "a round".

There used to be a program on BBC Radio 2 dedicated to folk music. I don't think that's on any more. Does anyone else know of other similar program?

Thanks Z
 Brochan Lom - Puirt a beul (mouth music) - Haywain
"There used to be a program on BBC Radio 2 dedicated to folk music. I don't think that's on any more. Does anyone else know of other similar program?"

You are more likely to find folk music on BBC Alba; the Scots have a far greater sense of national identity and tradition than the English.

If you want to enjoy music, and you aren't in a choir already - then you could do worse than give it a try. There's an interesting series on at the moment about the psychological benefits to the human soul of singing together.
www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/m000cf68/meet-the-street-at-christmas-series-1-episode-1
 Brochan Lom - Puirt a beul (mouth music) - Duncan

>> You are more likely to find folk music on BBC Alba; the Scots have a
>> far greater sense of national identity and tradition than the English.

Apart from any other reasons. The Welsh, Scottish and Northern Irish have their own national radio (and TV?) channels.

The English don't.
 Brochan Lom - Puirt a beul (mouth music) - Zero

>> You are more likely to find folk music on BBC Alba; the Scots have a
>> far greater sense of national identity and tradition than the English.

The Welsh, Scots and Irish are identities, tribes - In uk terms fairly small numbers of people. The rest, the English were tribes but got integrated far more than the others far longer ago.

It also helps to have been subjugated and invaded to propagate folk music.
 Brochan Lom - Puirt a beul (mouth music) - Duncan
>>
>> It also helps to have been subjugated and invaded to propagate folk music.

The Irish are the best example of this. Their songs, anthems, even names of rugby teams have some reference to their history. Usually moaning about something that was alleged to have happened three or four hundred years ago.
 Brochan Lom - Puirt a beul (mouth music) - tyrednemotional
>>
>> There used to be a program on BBC Radio 2 dedicated to folk music. I
>> don't think that's on any more. Does anyone else know of other similar program?
>>

...whilst the definition of "Folk" music seems to have expanded somewhat over the years, it is still there:

www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b01phglj
 Brochan Lom - Puirt a beul (mouth music) - Bromptonaut
There's quite a bit of Puirt a beul in the repertoire of Capercaillie.

www.capercaillie.co.uk/
 Brochan Lom - Puirt a beul (mouth music) - CGNorwich
Apart from Mark Radcliffe on Radio 2 there is loads of the stuff on local BBC radio stations, all available on BBC sounds.

www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/genres/music/folk/player

Latest Forum Posts