Non-motoring > A New Loo Point Miscellaneous
Thread Author: zippy Replies: 96

A New Loo Point - zippy
www.independent.co.uk/life-style/toilet-design-sloped-angle-worker-time-bathroom-time-a9251261.html

There has got to be other problems with a company if they need to resort to this to make money!
 A New Loo Point - R.P.
I read that elsewhere (or heard it on the radio) - shocking. I heard about practices like this in some work-places when I worked at the CAB. I'm horrified. That is really the last resort - I used to escape to the bog for a bit of peace and quiet !
 A New Loo Point - Ambo
What an inconvenience.
 A New Loo Point - PeterS
This quote from the article made me sit up though...

“ The survey concluded that the average time spent on a toilet break is 28 minutes in London, 14 minutes in Leeds and four minutes in Birmingham.”
 A New Loo Point - Manatee

>> “ The survey concluded that the average time spent on a toilet break is 28
>> minutes in London, 14 minutes in Leeds and four minutes in Birmingham.”

You'd think they might review the survey methodology before reporting that as a conclusion.
 A New Loo Point - Zero
>> This quote from the article made me sit up though...
>>
>> “ The survey concluded that the average time spent on a toilet break is 28
>> minutes in London, 14 minutes in Leeds and four minutes in Birmingham.”

they cant read in Birmingham.

You have no idea how much I miss having a nice long sit on the loo with a magazine to read.
 A New Loo Point - R.P.
I was thinking about this thread when I was out with the dogs. They have a favourite spot on particular walks...!

Got me thinking of works toilets. Last place I worked (PFI Police building) was a charmless place at best. As we were there after normal office hours we had the run of the place effectively so the pick of the toilets. They were clean but very basic, oddly I got into the routine of using the same cubicle- though best avoided sometimes after some er..Officers
 A New Loo Point - R.P.
The one at the NHS hub was really best avoided. I knew where the staff ones were at various hospitals and surgeries ;-)
 A New Loo Point - smokie
I used Tesco loo today. A bloke came out of the cubicle where I had heard him doing the paperwork so he must have been "using" it, and walked straight out without washing his hands.

Now I'm not obsessive about that kind of thing but I do hope he wasn't then picking over the food I was just about to buy!!

While I don't spend much time in them, it seems quite common (50/50) in pubs and restaurants for men to not wash their hands after a wee. I can believe the anecdotes about the snacks on the bar.
 A New Loo Point - R.P.
Various Tescos were my relief as well (other brands available) - horrible places, fed my OCD on using public toilets.
 A New Loo Point - Duncan
>> I used Tesco loo today. A bloke came out of the cubicle where I had
>> heard him doing the paperwork so he must have been "using" it, and walked straight
>> out without washing his hands.

Whereas you would prefer that he got hold of the tap - soiled by the previous user - added some more soiling to the tap - washed his hands - turned the tap off - thoroughly mixing up some more soiling - wiped his hands on the disgusting towel - went out, grabbing the disgusting door handle with his soiled hand - thereby thoroughly mixing up every toilet users bacteria with his own? Hmmm?

Should I go on? Perhaps he had just had a quick J Carrol ( tinyurl.com/sbctoex ) and was going to open the door with a piece of paper in his hand so that he didn't touch the handle and spread the germs in one of the most effective ways that it would be possible for mankind to devise.
 A New Loo Point - bathtub tom
>> I used Tesco loo today. A bloke came out of the cubicle where I had
>> heard him doing the paperwork so he must have been "using" it, and walked straight
>> out without washing his hands.

I was in a pub with SWMBO when a man walked out of the gents, doing up his flies. SWMBO (an ex teacher) projected, loudly in a way only teachers can: "That's why you don't eat snacks off the bar".
 A New Loo Point - sooty123
Not seen taps with sensors? No need to touch them.
 A New Loo Point - Duncan
>> Not seen taps with sensors? No need to touch them.
>>

Is that in Wetherspoons?
 A New Loo Point - Zero
you cant even get pigs in blankets in Spoons, let alone fancy taps.
>> >> Not seen taps with sensors? No need to touch them.
>> >>
>>
>> Is that in Wetherspoons?
>>

Quite possibly. Where they in their last time you were at the loo?
>> Not seen taps with sensors? No need to touch them.
>> Is that in Wetherspoons?

My local 'spoons has them - whoops, what have I just admitted.
 A New Loo Point - Fullchat
Duncan, I'm glad I'm not the only one who has processed this hand washing issue and come to the conclusion that its flawed big time :)
 A New Loo Point - tyrednemotional
....in fact, you'd quite like to shake his hand.....

;-)
 A New Loo Point - John Boy
I also think Duncan's got it right. What he said reminded me of reading Jack Kerouac's "Big Sur" many years ago. In one passage he rails against the American obsession with taking showers. He thought they'd be much cleaner if they made arrangements to wash their backsides after defecating, rather than waiting for a shower.
 A New Loo Point - Kevin
>I also think Duncan's got it right. What he said reminded me of reading Jack Kerouac's "Big Sur" many years ago.

A now departed friend of mine shared an apartment with Kerouac in San Francisco. There are pictures of them in the Vesuvio Cafe. RIP Rick.

>He thought they'd be much cleaner if they made arrangements to wash their backsides after defecating, rather
>than waiting for a shower.

That reminds me. It'll be New Year soon. Time to change my underpants again.
 A New Loo Point - Duncan
>> He thought they'd be much cleaner if they made arrangements to wash
>> their backsides after defecating, rather than waiting for a shower.

Sigh.

Defecate once a day, after breakfast. Before dressing. Go in shower immediately afterwards. Dress. Sorted.

For goodness sake. Am I the only person who has got his ablutionary arrangements organised properly?

A New Loo Point - No FM2R
With the state of many of these bathrooms I think it's rather more important to wash your hands before you start handling anything you value.

And who uses a public toilet for defecation anyway? Yuk.

>>Am I the only person who has got his ablutionary arrangements organised properly?

No, you are not.
 A New Loo Point - Kevin
There is a bush telegraph about loos for summertime yachties in the Greek Islands.

"We're heading for Antipaxos tomorrow. Did you know that the XYZ Taverna now has hot showers and an executive loo for 5€?"
 A New Loo Point - helicopter
Reminds me of the old joke.

Guy
goes to the Doctor,

' Doc, you've got to help me.'

'Whats the problem?'

' Every morning at 8 am regular as clockwork I pass a motion'

' So whats the problem?'

' I don't get up until 9..'
 A New Loo Point - Ambo
www.car4play.com/redirect.php?https://www.independent.co.uk/life-style/toilet-design-sloped-angle-worker-time-bathroom-time-a9251261.html

Why not forward slope-angle urinals as well?

Re hygiene, a while back I need several home visits by nurses. The would often ask my wife if they could use the toilet. After, they would sometimes tell her that the toilets in some houses they visited were so disgustingly foul that they would not risk using them. These included one of the richest local neigbourhoods.
 A New Loo Point - CGNorwich
Dirty loos may be disgusting and unpleasant but they don’t really constitute much of a health risk. You don’t drink the water from the lavatory bowl or put your food on the toilet seat. At least I don’t.

The major health risks are usually to be found in the kitchen in dirty and contaminated work surfaces and dish clothes and uncleaned refrigerators and the like. Always a bit wary of some people’s domestic arrangements and politely decline offers of refreshment. Pets on work surfaces are a major red light!
 A New Loo Point - VxFan
I think washing his hands is the least of this guys worries.

Caution, contains floaty bits.

youtu.be/Y4HSQKUAPKM
 A New Loo Point - R.P.
My nephew is a newly qualified architect, his first task when he started a job was to design toilets for a new build office for his company. I may have a word with him
 A New Loo Point - VxFan
>> Whereas you would prefer that he got hold of the tap - soiled by the
>> previous user - added some more soiling to the tap - washed his hands -
>> turned the tap off

All the Tesco loos I've ever used have touch free taps. Still have to use the door handle though, unless you wait for someone else to come in, or go out.

Anyway, they do say that a few germs are good for you to keep your immune system active.
 A New Loo Point - R.P.
Anyway, they do say that a few germs are good for you to keep your immune system active

A thought I comforted myself with every day on my trip around northern Vietnam earlier this year - the toilets in the rural eateries were er......rural. The ones in the Hotels and on the boat we sailed on were immaculate by any standard. The places we ate during the day and in the "home-stays" were rather dirty by my standards but it didn't stop me eating. I didn't suffer from any stomach problems, I think the home brew rice wine was a quite effective antiseptic...

Last edited by: R.P. on Fri 20 Dec 19 at 11:44
Not sure why so much concern about avoiding the toilet door handle. Surely it’s not going to be any worse than touching any other door handle, hand rail, money, chair etc which we all do dozens of times. The important thing is to keep the bacterial load on your hands as low as possible by washing them as frequently as possible with proper soap an water especially before eating . Dangling your fingers under the tap for three seconds doesn’t cut it!

A New Loo Point - Duncan
Why is it that every toilet that I have ever been in has 'push' door handles going in, but pull door handles coming out?

You can push the door open with your elbow, sleeve or shoulder going in, but coming out when one's hands might be soiled, one has to get hold of the door handles to pull them open. I always use a tissue or piece of kitchen towel to avoid touching the handle with my bare hands.
 A New Loo Point - Bromptonaut
>> Why is it that every toilet that I have ever been in has 'push' door
>> handles going in, but pull door handles coming out?

In most public, office or Caravan and Motorhome Club sites cubicle doors have a gap (graffiti - beware limbo dancers!!) under door. Toe of shoe has enough leverage.
>> Why is it that every toilet that I have ever been in has 'push' door
>> handles going in, but pull door handles coming out?
>>
>> You can push the door open with your elbow, sleeve or shoulder going in, but
>> coming out when one's hands might be soiled, one has to get hold of the
>> door handles to pull them open. I always use a tissue or piece of kitchen
>> towel to avoid touching the handle with my bare hands.
>>

Doors don't generally open out into corridors, which bathrooms are nearly always connected to.
 A New Loo Point - VxFan
>> Doors don't generally open out into corridors, which bathrooms are nearly always connected to.

With the exception of disabled toilet doors (or accessible toilets as they're now seem to be called).
 A New Loo Point - Zero

>> With the exception of disabled toilet doors (or accessible toilets as they're now seem to
>> be called).

I've used a few in the last 9 months, and it varies. according to space and configuration i guess.
 A New Loo Point - neiltoo
My pet hate in these places is the warm air dryers.

They are either noisy (Dyson airblade type), which blots out my hearing, or ineffective, leaving you with warm wet hands.

I'm sure they blow bacteria around the room.

When I was working, the plant director at a famous British mineral water company told me that air dryers were prohibited in food packaging plants for this reason.

Paper towels are best IMO.
 A New Loo Point - Zero

>> They are either noisy (Dyson airblade type), which blots out my hearing, or ineffective, leaving
>> you with warm wet hands.
>>
>> I'm sure they blow bacteria around the room.

Too true, there are studies going on to examine the content of the water droplets/mist they create.
It seem the battle between towels and air blowers is a big thing. A fascinating insight here.

www.theguardian.com/society/2019/apr/25/hand-dryers-paper-towels-hygiene-dyson-airblade

>> Paper towels are best IMO.

Still not as good as a properly maintained roller towel.

The paper ones at work are cheap thin and nasty.
Best of all of course are those smart restaurants where they have a neatly stacked pile of proper hand towels.
Last edited by: CGNorwich on Fri 20 Dec 19 at 18:02
 A New Loo Point - VxFan
Back of the trousers seems to work well for lots of people, and then let their body heat dry them out, or a good fart.
 A New Loo Point - Zero
>> Best of all of course are those smart restaurants where they have a neatly stacked
>> pile of proper hand towels.

With some nice Bayliss & Harding hand creme.
 A New Loo Point - legacylad
A few years ago I went on an end of season rafting trip down the GC...16 days. A company called OARS operating out of Flagstaff....friends joked that I thought there was a W and an H missing which is why I went on the trip.
Environmental concerns meant that all people take out ALL their rubbish. Pee in the river. Defecate in the groover, several of which, when full, are secured in the ‘trash’ raft.
I used a nail brush, scrubbed vigorously both before and after ablutions, same with dining. Any backpacking trip I use the nail brush more than anything else in my gear list, then dispose of after every trip.
Using public loos I go in n out of doors using my elbows.
There’s some dirty folks around with unhygienic habits
Last edited by: legacylad on Fri 20 Dec 19 at 21:16
>> There’s some dirty folks around with unhygienic habits

Reading one of my daughter's 'trash' magazines was a letter about a boyfriend who left skid marks on the bedsheets.............................................................
 A New Loo Point - MD
>> >> Best of all of course are those smart restaurants where they have a neatly
>> stacked
>> >> pile of proper hand towels.
>>
>> With some nice Bayliss & Harding hand creme.
>>
Creme?
 A New Loo Point - R.P.
Bathrooms !!!! Toilets !
Toilets !!!! Lavatories!
 A New Loo Point - R.P.
Bogs !!!! Crappers !!! (not bathrooms ever)
 A New Loo Point - Zero
Dunny
 A New Loo Point - Lygonos
The Cludgie
 A New Loo Point - Dog
A en.wiktionary.org/wiki/khazi
....Thunderbox...
"Bathroom" just about anywhere other than the UK or France.
 A New Loo Point - Dog
Powder Room :o)
 A New Loo Point - Duncan
Kharzi.
 A New Loo Point - Ambo
In France, the prettier "Les Toilettes".
In my youth up north it was referred to as' the Netty'
 A New Loo Point - Dog
Erm, honey bucket!!
 A New Loo Point - VxFan
Colleague at work refers to the toilets as 'facilities'.

As in, "I'm just off to use the facilities"
 A New Loo Point - Fullchat
Have we had 'Heads' - naval term.
 A New Loo Point - R.P.
"Tunnel" in Liverpool.
 A New Loo Point - Dog
Roman public latrine: en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Latrine#/media/File:Ostia-Toilets.JPG
 A New Loo Point - Duncan
A tinyurl link - for those of a nervous disposition

tinyurl.com/t4nmkc8
 A New Loo Point - R.P.
news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/lancashire/7515513.stm

My personal favourites anywhere in the world..!
These are more visited for photography than for their prime function:

tinyurl.com/uaj3rr2

Happened across them on last year's NZ visit.
thepaleochorasite.com/bobsblog/wp-content/uploads/2018/06/Kallergi-toilet.jpg

Used this mountain refuge toilet a few times...a straight 1000metres drop..
 A New Loo Point - hjd
Knights Templar Wetherspoons pub in London - ladies' loos
londonist.com/pubs/pubs/knights-templar pic 4
>> Knights Templar Wetherspoons pub in London - ladies' loos
>> londonist.com/pubs/pubs/knights-templar pic 4

That used to be my bank!!

Was latterly our office 'local'.
I like those near the top of the shard: www.aloowithaview.co.uk/home/the-shard
 A New Loo Point - henry k
A view of the world from the first class facilities on the likes of a British Airways intercontinental flight must take some beating.
 A New Loo Point - smokie
>> thepaleochorasite.com/bobsblog/wp-content/uploads/2018/06/Kallergi-toilet.jpg
>>
>> Used this mountain refuge toilet a few times...a straight 1000metres drop..
>>
>>

You wouldn't want to be standing under that then!! :-)
Very isolated cliff ledge well above the start of the Samaria gorge is I understand the normal landing area below the Kallergi toilet,never been down there to find out , in fact the landing point really depends on the wind direction and speed....indeed there can be a problem with high winds causing blowback....in winter there can be a problem with frostbite .

A New Loo Point - Zero
>> Very isolated cliff ledge well above the start of the Samaria gorge is I understand
>> the normal landing area below the Kallergi toilet,never been down there to find out ,
>> in fact the landing point really depends on the wind direction and speed....

And I would guess a 1000 metres at 9.8 m/s2 it would break up and spread a bit

>> And I would guess a 1000 metres at 9.8 m/s2 it would break up and
>> spread a bit
>>

Out of curiosity what’s the terminal velocity of a turd?
>> Out of curiosity what’s the terminal velocity of a turd?

According to this, about 30mph....

www.theguardian.com/politics/2010/may/06/ukip-nigel-farage-plane-crash
Last edited by: No FM2R on Mon 23 Dec 19 at 21:05
 A New Loo Point - Zero
>> >> Out of curiosity what’s the terminal velocity of a turd?
>>
>>
>> According to this, about 30mph....
>>
>> www.theguardian.com/politics/2010/may/06/ukip-nigel-farage-plane-crash
>>
Alas, it wasn't terminal
 A New Loo Point - riddler
How very true
 A New Loo Point - MD
>>
>> >> And I would guess a 1000 metres at 9.8 m/s2 it would break up
>> and
>> >> spread a bit
>> >>
>>
>> Out of curiosity what’s the terminal velocity of a turd?

Just ask Corbyn.
...brings a complete new meaning to the term "long-drop toilet".........
 A New Loo Point - Dog
G… is for Garderobe

"the excrement would either hit the ground or land in a pit (which had to be periodically cleared out by an individual known as a ‘gong farmer"

Once upon a time, long long ago, I knew a chap who used to be a night soil man:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Night_soil

A New Loo Point - zippy
My employer has refurbished the loos in their London HQ.

All very snazzy and everything is hands free paper dispenser, loo flush, taps and choice of paper towels (hand free electric dispenser) or hot air blower.

The place has floor to ceiling mirrors and they are spotless and so clear and retained near perfect perspective that I honestly thought someone was walking towards me and moved out of the way!
 A New Loo Point - R.P.
The mirrors thing is a bit odd.
 A New Loo Point - Runfer D'Hills
My ex-mother in law had a bathroom in one of her houses that had every wall covered in large mirror tiles. Looked quite elegant on first inspection I suppose, but if you used the room for its intended purpose, it was really quite disturbing to be looking at multiple reflections of yourself sitting on the can. No one really needs to know what their own "pushing one through" face looks like do they? :-(
>>No one really needs to know what their own "pushing one through" face looks like do they?

....especially when you're on the third notch of a big one...!

:-O
 A New Loo Point - Zero
>> "pushing one through" face looks like do they? :-(

Currently not required here at the moment.
Mind those beige leather seats then...don't be attempting any handbrake turns...;-)
>>don't be attempting any handbrake turns...;-)

Or, in my experience, letting SWMBO drive!
 A New Loo Point - PeterS
>> Mind those beige leather seats then...don't be attempting any handbrake turns...;-)
>>

It’s a BMW; oyster, not beige, I’m sure ;)
 A New Loo Point - Zero
Fear not, its not been sat or turned a wheel for 18 days
That's a pity, I thought BMW had got over those reliability issues?
;-)
 A New Loo Point - Zero
Nowt wrong with the Schneller Luxus Kübelwagen, it will spring into life in a heartbeat, the disks dont even show any signs of corrosion.
 A New Loo Point - VxFan
>> The mirrors thing is a bit odd.

Distracts your mind from the hidden cameras.
 A New Loo Point - zippy
The mirrors aren't in the stalls, just the room.

Other thing I noticed that the lights were blue, probably to make life harder for injectors.

I have seen powder being sent around the office in internal mail bags!
 A New Loo Point - Zero
In a certain American investment bank* I did some work in, you just had to wipe your finger along any flat surface in the loo to get a blush of white on it.

* rescued during the sub prime collapse.
I understand flat surfaces in lavatories were smeared with Vaseline.......................................
Latest Forum Posts