Non-motoring > Floods Miscellaneous
Thread Author: Zero Replies: 42

Floods - Zero
We have had some rain this week, a LOT of rain, and for the first time ever, EVERY stream ditch, river canal spring and pond in my area has gone on either Flood warning, or flood alert. All of them.

We have had one or the other of them, maybe a couple at once go on alert/warn or flood, but as it sits I look at the EA flood map marooned.
 Floods - CGNorwich
Don’t worry. The good people of South Yorkshire are sympathetic to your plight and are organising emergency relief for Surrey.
 Floods - Zero
Send emergency supplies of Tea and Toad in the hole immediately.

Its ok for you to mock, you live a in a swamp. You don't even have a motorway to close.
 Floods - tyrednemotional
....urgently despatching supplies of parkin via whippet sled......
 Floods - CGNorwich
No parkin. It’s all double yellows down there.
 Floods - tyrednemotional
....and the roads are flooded anyway...
 Floods - Zero
whippet no good in floods. they sink.
 Floods - tyrednemotional
...Yorkshire ones can swim - they have to.....
 Floods - helicopter
Travelled from Horsham to Eastbourne yesterday taking my normal route A281 to join A23 just north of Brighton then along A27.

I simply did not realise the extent of the flooding until my cleaner arrived late and told me of the problems of her journey.

I got as far as Shermanbury on A281 when the road was well covered ( at least 12 inches) with floodwater over the road at the River Adur bridge just before Henfield. Some cars were coming through but I decided not to risk it after seeing the stranded Beemer which had just come the other way .Driver was phoning for assistance...some of you remember that I wrote off my Accord Estate a few years back driving through floods up north so was not taking any chances.

Turned round and took a diversion of around 10 miles to get back onto M23 at Bolney to find the Northbound carriageway completly full of cars waiting to find a way through the carnage at Pease Pottage.

Finally got onto A27 and was making good progress when a tractor and trailer with hay bales pulled out about five cars ahead and travelled at 20 mph, reducing to 10 mph on hills for 10 miles allowing no one to pass and building up a queue behind as far as I could see in my rear view mirror...

Completely inconsiderate of the driver who could have pulled into several lay byes to allow traffic to clear but just carried on his way.
 Floods - Lygonos
On train from Edinburgh to Kings Cross today - plenty of big ponds with the tops of fences/hedges poking above the water on the way from York to London.
 Floods - Zero
And today we had a Tornado.

www.standard.co.uk/news/uk/tornado-surrey-chertsey-shepperton-weather-a4319541.html
Last edited by: Zero on Sat 21 Dec 19 at 20:18
 Floods - legacylad
I thought you were talking about the steam locomotive. Flying Scotsman through Settle again today I think...second time in 4 days.
 Floods - Zero
>> On train from Edinburgh to Kings Cross today -

Thought Boris revoked your visa.
 Floods - Lygonos
Boris couldn't revoke a p1ss up in a brewery.
 Floods - No FM2R
He couldn't even get an election when he needed one.
 Floods - Robin O'Reliant
>> He couldn't even get an election when he needed one.
>>

Did anyone else misread that post?
 Floods - No FM2R

>> Did anyone else misread that post?

It was intended.
 Floods - Kevin
>On train from Edinburgh to Kings Cross today...

Down here to look after the Duke for us?
 Floods - Robin O'Reliant
We moan about the rain, but I have a cousin who lives on the east coast of Oz a little north of Sydney and they would give the earth for some of it.
 Floods - devonite
Whats up with you lot down there? you get a bit of Cumbrian summer and you do nowt but moan! ;-)
 Floods - Dog
>>Whats up with you lot down there?

I've been thinking the same actually - they don't get half the rainfall that we get in Kernow, Cymru, Kambria or western Alba.
 Floods - Bromptonaut
>> I've been thinking the same actually - they don't get half the rainfall that we
>> get in Kernow, Cymru, Kambria or western Alba.

And consequently we're not set up to deal with it.

The clay hereabouts is waterlogged and fresh rainfall just flows off. The drains cannot cope and the Nene is flooding - at least since the 1998 floods water is now diverted onto farmland rather than Kislingbury village.
 Floods - Dog
And ... the west tends to be more hilly. I get rain more-or-less every day up here on the moor but we don't get any flooding (famous last words!)
 Floods - Zero
>> The clay hereabouts is waterlogged and fresh rainfall just flows off. The drains cannot cope
>> and the Nene is flooding - at least since the 1998 floods water is now
>> diverted onto farmland rather than Kislingbury village.

And I live in what is basically a stopped up river delta. Occasionally it reverts to nature. Man cannot manage water with 100% reliability.
Last edited by: Zero on Sun 22 Dec 19 at 13:54
 Floods - Dulwich Estate II
" Man cannot manage water with 100% reliability. "

Yes, and it gets worse with age.
 Floods - hillman1
I live in Yalding- it is wet! Though not as bad as 2013 thankfully- it means hopefully the current PM won't feel the need to visit......
 Floods - Dog
Nice place Yalding - I often went fishing there in a previous life. Not the first time it has flooded of course.
 Floods - zippy
>>Yalding...

My brother used to live just the other side of the river in East Peckham. He has gone all posh and moved to Kings Hill!
 Floods - Dog
I dare say Yalding has changed mucho since I used to go there - housing estates, housing estates, housing estates!

My brother who lived in Maidstone and owned the Peter Russell Partnership (TV) in Boxley used to regularly go walking along the river and got to know a chap that lived in one of the many boats there.

Alas, they have both exited from this mortal realm now.
 Floods - Rudedog
And in the new year you can bet your bottom dollar that some water company will be crowing on about a water shortage and potential 'hose-pipe' bans!

Floods - CGNorwich
I wouldn’t bet a penny. No bans last year and you have to go back to 2012 to find one
 Floods - VxFan
>> No bans last year and you have to go back to 2012 to find one

We've had a hosepipe ban for the last 3 years now. Mind you, we are on a private water supply. Wrong type of rain apparently.
 Floods - tyrednemotional
In NZ last year, there was a severe water crisis at Oamaru (no baths, shower with a friend,etc.) with posters all over town that there were less than 2 day's supply left.

This was immediately following several weeks of heavy rain and flooding, and still mixed weather.

(Apparently, the local river water supply was higher than it had ever been before, and had overtopped the filtration system, polluting that, and most of the stored water).
 Floods - Rudedog
I knew I thought I had heard a warning already....

Affinity Water (no idea where they supply)

"After three years of lower than average rainfall, we are considering introducing temporary restrictions on water use (known as hosepipe bans) in Spring 2020. Like all water companies, we depend on rain for the water we supply to you. Even with the recent spell of rain, it is not enough."

Floods - No FM2R
Affinity Water

www.affinitywater.co.uk/my-water/water-resources

Floods - sooty123
That's our local water supplier, I think, it is pretty dry so am surprised they haven't brought one in before. Especially the last two summers we've had.
 Floods - CGNorwich
Not politically expedient. No more hosepipe bans
 Floods - sooty123
>> Not politically expedient. No more hosepipe bans
>>

They have to apply to the government for permission?
 Floods - Zero
>> >> Not politically expedient. No more hosepipe bans
>> >>
>>
>> They have to apply to the government for permission?

well in affect - they have to apply for service exemptions - part of their franchise agreement.
Last edited by: Zero on Tue 24 Dec 19 at 17:16
 Floods - Zero
>> Not politically expedient. No more hosepipe bans

Plus now we are leaving, we have more control. None of these EU induced limits.
 Floods - Zero
>> That's our local water supplier, I think, it is pretty dry so am surprised they
>> haven't brought one in before. Especially the last two summers we've had.

Afinity supply many geographically diverse regions, and water shortages can be very location specific. They supply mine, not had a sniff of a ban for several years.
 Floods - sooty123
> Afinity supply many geographically diverse regions, and water shortages can be very location specific. They
>> supply mine, not had a sniff of a ban for several years.
>>

That's what I thought. Even in the last couple of years it's been dry, they were very much 'don't panic'. I guess we'll see in the summer.
 Floods - Bromptonaut
>> Affinity Water (no idea where they supply)

They are new name for, or bought out several private water supply companies. They cover a chunk of Essex coast around Claxton and inland a bit and another stretch in Herts/Beds. I think they also absorbed Three Rivers who used to be around Harrow and other outer NW London boroughs.

Waste on their patch is processed by the main undertaking so in Essex coast and Hertfordshire area that will be Anglian. Only one bill though as Affinity collect the sewerage charge on behalf of Anglian.
Latest Forum Posts