Non-motoring > Ho! Ho! Ho! Miscellaneous
Thread Author: Robin O'Reliant Replies: 41

Ho! Ho! Ho! - Robin O'Reliant
A very Merry Christmas to all posters and lurkers, or at least the few of us who remain here. May your festivities be joyful ones, whether of a religious or secular nature.
 Ho! Ho! Ho! - Runfer D'Hills
Well said Robin, and heartily seconded !

If I was allowed to make a suggestion, it might be time to put aside all the little political feuds which have arisen since 2016?

I admit to having been cross about certain posts, and I guess I've had the same effect on others from time to time. It's been a very difficult time. But, ultimately, speaking personally, I look in here, and other places, not to conflict or argue, but to enjoy the virtual company of others.

Maybe it behoves us all to remember that is why most of us do it?

Anyway, as above, may your big ends remain intact and your pumps flow freely!

;-)

Ho! Ho! Ho! - Ateca chris
Everything he says above,and a merry christmas to all
 Ho! Ho! Ho! - Manatee
>> Well said Robin, and heartily seconded !
>>
>> If I was allowed to make a suggestion, it might be time to put aside
>> all the little political feuds which have arisen since 2016?

I hope nobody thinks I'm having a feud with them...Merry Christmas to all.
 Ho! Ho! Ho! - No FM2R
I don't normally say Happy Christmas until the 24th, but as always I am worried about not fitting in, so Happy Christmas all.

Good, bad and indifferent, you all help me survive the day in foreign lands, for which I sincerely thank you.

All the very best to you and yours, I hope you all have the best time and everything works out how you wanted it.

p.s. the political feuds keep me sane, so I hope they continue.
Last edited by: No FM2R on Mon 23 Dec 19 at 22:19
 Ho! Ho! Ho! - zippy
And a Merry Christmas and Happy New Year to you all!

As mentioned elsewhere on here, the eldest child has pulled a double shift in A&E on Christmas Day so we are going to drive the 3 hours down to see her and take her out for Xmas lunch before heading back.

Youngest has said he doesn't want to be 6 hours in a car so is going to "Nans" as we were all going to do before the shift change.

Never had Christmas Day in a restaurant before. At least we won't have any washing up to do. Can't have a drink though ;-(

Ho! Ho! Ho! - smokie
My youngest often volunteers for the Christmas/Boxing day shifts (originally as a nurse in a secure hospital but now as a mental nurse in the community) to enable those with families to have the time off. Maybe there is double bubble or TOIL or something else which motivates her, but she has decided to come to us this year, along with her new husband. So for the first time in a few years awe will be together at Christmas, which is good.

Anyway have a good Christmas one and all!!
 Ho! Ho! Ho! - Bromptonaut
Work closes from lunchtime today (though I'm off) until 2 January. Not convinced that's right, my stuff is covered by a fallback call centre but that's no help for drop ins. Maybe there are no volunteers....

We're off to daughter's in N Wales today until Saturday than to her in laws for a get together. They're old friends, Mrs B and she were at school together, and our son and his g/f will join us too.

Home on Sunday when mercifully the whole thing is over for another year. Maybe the 'magic' of Christmas will return with grandchildren but as the oldies have all fallen off their perches in last ten years or so and most celebrations have gone by the wayside it just seems to be a bit of a charade.

Ho! Ho! Ho! - sooty123
Try a Christmas away, I've not done it but those that have loved it especially those that found Christmas all a bit of a faff.
Last edited by: sooty123 on Tue 24 Dec 19 at 09:32
 Ho! Ho! Ho! - sooty123
>> Work closes from lunchtime today (though I'm off) until 2 January. Not convinced that's right,
>> my stuff is covered by a fallback call centre but that's no help for drop
>> ins. Maybe there are no volunteers....

We finished last week for xmas, not back until the 6th. Nice bit of block leave, tbh i prefer it go back and forwards in bits and bobs over xmas new year.
 Ho! Ho! Ho! - Zero
>> My youngest often volunteers for the Christmas/Boxing day shifts

Been married to a GOSH paediatric nurse for nearly 30 years now. Her view was she would always pull the christmas day shift, because a: its fun and b: nurses with kids can be at home.

As a husband what do you do, you go down to the ward and you help out, because its actually fun.

When our sprog arrived, we curtailed that. I'm not sure in the days of agency nurses and the idea that generally they try to get kids home for xmas, such an atmosphere exists any more.
 Ho! Ho! Ho! - Zero
Happy Christmas everyone.

Spare a thought this Christmas for those who are less well off than you. People, for example, who have not yet been able to eat a mince pie, unfortunates who wont be tucking into a mound of Pigs in Blankets, even, (aghast) people who's viewing of the great escape will be interrupted by frequent and unplanned visits to the bog.
 Ho! Ho! Ho! - VxFan
Bah Humbug.
 Ho! Ho! Ho! - CGNorwich
I guess, looking on the bright side you will lose a few pounds. Enjoy Christmas anyway and I wish you a swift recovery.
Just off to start my Christmas shopping.
 Ho! Ho! Ho! - Zero
>> I guess, looking on the bright side you will lose a few pounds.

A few pounds? Since this lot started I have lost 11 kilos. I am only 6 kilos short of the ideal BMI now.
 Ho! Ho! Ho! - CGNorwich
You need to write one of those diet books. “Lose weight the Zero way”.
 Ho! Ho! Ho! - Zero
>> You need to write one of those diet books. “Lose weight the Zero way”.

Guaranteed results.
 Ho! Ho! Ho! - VxFan
>> “Lose weight the Zero way”.

It'll be a crap read.
 Ho! Ho! Ho! - Runfer D'Hills
Be careful with the sprouts Z...
;-)
 Ho! Ho! Ho! - Zero
>> Be careful with the sprouts Z...
>> ;-)

Whats the difference between sprouts and snot?

Kids will eat their snot.
 Ho! Ho! Ho! - henry k
All the family are with us and cooking us dinner.

Our daughter is off duty but might get a call or even called in if the hospital need her.
Absolutely no idea how many new patients will arrive unannounced or have problems.
We all know she might have to bolt out of the door but she is dedicated to the role.

A Happy Christmas to all.
 Ho! Ho! Ho! - tyrednemotional
....and remember those real unfortunates who wont even get a sniff of a G&T.....
 Ho! Ho! Ho! - Zero
Thankfully GnT has medicinal properties, one needs to keep hydrated somehow.
 Ho! Ho! Ho! - neiltoo
And the last thing you want in your condition is malaria!

All the best

Neil
 Ho! Ho! Ho! - No FM2R
>>Thankfully GnT has medicinal properties...

In that it doesn't fix the problem but you don't care as much?

I fully approve.
 Ho! Ho! Ho! - PeterS
For obvious reasons Christmas won’t be the same this year, and I can’t say I’m feeling very festive. However, one of my nephews (who’s 7) came to stay for a few days, since his school finished on the 13th and the au pair had been sacked... We were going to be in Bali over Christmas so obviously wouldn’t have bothered with a tree, and wasn’t going to even though I’d cancelled the trip. But, I thought I should put up a tree as he was coming so I did (from delivermeachristmastree.co.uk), and we spent the time building a Lego Technic LandRover Defender. 2,573 pieces and all completed in 3 days!! Just like a real LandRover, whilst complete it does require some warranty work and rectification in a few areas. The tailgate and one front wing don’t fit properly, and the centre diff isn’t quite right. But, it’s got a working 4 speed gearbox, 6 cylinder engine with pistons and a crankshaft that move, three differentials and fully functioning suspension including wishbones and shock absorbers :)

Happy Christmas all, and while on the whole the twenty tens (what do we call this decade?) has been good to me, that came to a crashing halt in October when Andy died. I’d give everything to rewind to the beginning again... But, here’s to the 2020s
 Ho! Ho! Ho! - Robin O'Reliant
>>
>>
>> Happy Christmas all, and while on the whole the twenty tens (what do we call
>> this decade?) has been good to me, that came to a crashing halt in October
>> when Andy died. I’d give everything to rewind to the beginning again... But, here’s to
>> the 2020s
>>

I'm very sorry to hear that Peter, if you posted it at the time I missed it. There is nothing more agonising than going through that first Christmas after the loss of someone close. I can only hope it doesn't take you too long to come to terms with it, difficult as that will be.
 Ho! Ho! Ho! - No FM2R
>>that came to a crashing halt in October when Andy died

No, it didn't. I completely understand why it feels like it did, but it didn't. Andy left his mark on you and you left yours on his. You'll never look at anything again without seeing it with Andy's perspective.

I'm sorry Andy is gone, but by any measure other than time the two of you had the kind of relationship that the rest of the world dreams of finding.

Revel in it. I would.

Go into the 2020s with Andy. Sadly without him in person, but nonetheless with him.

A very happy Christmas to the pair of you, wherever either of you may be.
Last edited by: No FM2R on Tue 24 Dec 19 at 19:36
 Ho! Ho! Ho! - zippy
Merry Christmas to one and all!
 Ho! Ho! Ho! - Clk Sec
A merry Christmas and a happy New Year to all posters and lurkers!
 Ho! Ho! Ho! - legacylad
Merry Christmas to all

I’ve time for a few more hours painting outside whilst dry before going to the pub. Home for sausage, egg, chips n beans, and a full days painting indoors tomorrow as it’s a rotten forecast.

The TV is unplugged so no temptation, central heating stopped working last night, but I’ve a long job list and books to read.

Happy days...gotta be very grateful for small mercies compared to those less fortunate.
 Ho! Ho! Ho! - MD
The very best wishes to all.
 Ho! Ho! Ho! - James Loveless
Christmas will never be easy for those who have been bereaved. It will (hopefully) get more manageable, but the emphasis on families and togetherness, followed by New Year with its stocktaking mentality makes things very difficult for those suffering loss.

I was speaking just now to a lady at the Salvation Army Christmas lunch where I was helping out and she was near to tears, having almost not come out because all she could think about was her loss of five close relatives in the last few years. But someone had persuaded her and I would like to think she felt it was a good thing she came.

Someone else was telling me cemeteries are busy with visitors on Christmas Day, which surprised me until I thought about it a bit.
 Ho! Ho! Ho! - Zero
Mrs Z's father died on December 3rd when she was 15. He died with a weeks wages in his pocket that the police would not release till much later.

Her mother booked the family (3 girls & brother) into Butlins for xmas, and paid for it on the drip.
 Ho! Ho! Ho! - devonite
>>Christmas will never be easy for those who have been bereaved.

That is so true! - Yesterday evening I was sat on the sofa watching TV when my old dog Kai got up off his bed and came over and laid next to me at the side of the sofa. I started talking to him and reached over and started stroking his face and fondling his ear, he put his head down between his paws and went to sleep, seconds later he quietly slipped away.

I knew a few months ago that it wouldn't be long,( I think I posted about it) but it has hit me like a hammer. Just finished covering him up for his journey to Leyland pet crem tomorrow, the saddest journey We will ever make together.

I am totally gutted.

R.I.P Kai, the best dog I have ever known, A true, loyal and trusted best friend.
 Ho! Ho! Ho! - No FM2R
Difficult to know if that is the happiest way to part company or the saddest.

Either way, I am sure it hits like a brick. Sorry to hear it.
 Ho! Ho! Ho! - devonite
Thank you.
 Ho! Ho! Ho! - legacylad
Really sorry to hear that. I buried my beloved Lakeland a couple of years ago on the 27/12. He’s in my mums garden. She goes and talks to him sometimes. Even I have a few words on the odd occasion.
I know exactly how you feel
 Ho! Ho! Ho! - Zero
I know there is no right way for a dog to leave, but when mine does, I hope it's like that, it knew and was where it wanted to be when it passed
 Ho! Ho! Ho! - Fullchat
Its never easy and I'm sorry for your loss. If there was ever a way to go then that was it. Close to you and being loved.
 Ho! Ho! Ho! - devonite
Thank you all for kind messages, although we still have the other two dogs the place seems so empty! I can tell they miss him too, Pig has suddenly started sleeping on his bed, and Bert has started lying in the very spot where he died, very weird. We are just setting off with him now, he will be back home with us soon, and a few of his ashes will be spread at his two favorite places on our walk route.
Thats the best I feel we can do for him.
 Ho! Ho! Ho! - zippy
There have been some sad messages here. I totally sympathise.

Over Christmas I placed a small pot of flowers on my favourite aunts grave. Made me realise how much I missed her and others that that passed over the last few years, some friends, the same age as me, some friends younger and some friends older.

It's crap and there's not a lot you can do about it, save to take the time to grieve and don't be ashamed about it, be happy that that the missed family, friend, loved one or dear pet was part of your life.

Let those you love and care for know how much they mean to you and all the best for 2020 and beyond!
Latest Forum Posts