Non-motoring > The Day the Earth Caught Fire (1961) Miscellaneous
Thread Author: R.P. Replies: 5

The Day the Earth Caught Fire (1961) - R.P.
1961 film. My mother and I watched this when I was a kid (she had a thing about disaster films) - frightened the living crap out of an 8 year old. Found it on Talking Pictures over the weekend and watched it last night. What a great movie. Maybe a little low budget but great plot and very good acting. Climate change and climate change deniers were included at no extra cost. Sure there was some dodgy science. Some beautiful retro cars including a Series 1 Moggie 1000 with a single wiper. Available on You Tube.
 The Day the Earth Caught Fire (1961) - Dog
>>Available on You Tube.

Affirmative: www.youtube.com/watch?v=19R8liKACvc

Grrreat film Toni - Ya get some good films on that there Talking Pictures channel.
 The Day the Earth Caught Fire (1961) - Manatee
Just watching bit of it, starts off a bit trans-Atlantic but the Leo McKern appears and makes it a bit more English, even if he is Australian.
 The Day the Earth Caught Fire (1961) - R.P.
Bit of trivia. The uncredited mail boy in the Express Office grew up to act as LMcK's head of Chambers in the (much loved by me anyway) Rumpole of the Bailey
 The Day the Earth Caught Fire (1961) - Zero
Great film that, one of the films that sticks in my memory as a kid, along with the day of the triffids* (The ice cream van scene soured my relationship with mr whippy all my life) and "The Hand" (shudder)

*Ironically Brought back to focus this year, went to the Christmas scene at Kew this year, and (not sure they realised this) the Kew glasshouse featured in the film was lit up just like it was in the film
 The Day the Earth Caught Fire (1961) - Crankcase
Great film. And just look who played the uncredited policeman.

Was that the film where the director said afterwards, "Michael, you'll never work in movies again"?

Latest Forum Posts