Non-motoring > HMRC Log In Problem Miscellaneous
Thread Author: Robin O'Reliant Replies: 26

HMRC Log In Problem - Robin O'Reliant
I've been trying now for 24 hours to log in the HMRC Self Assessment page. I type in my user ID, it recognises me and directs me to a page with a link to Self Assessment - which then takes me back to the log in page. God knows how many attempts I've made.

Anyone else had problems or know of any? I've tried phoning but all I get is "We're very busy right now" before they cut me off.
 HMRC Log In Problem - Ambo
There will be a link on the HMRC website to a Help service. You could explain your problem there but - from my frequent attempts - with about the same kind of result you have already experienced!

Finally got through on the phone and a very helpful lady sorted it out in a few minutes, a new ID did the trick.

All I'm left to do now is pay it...:-(
 HMRC Log In Problem - legacylad
Well hurry up and pay it then. I would like your contribution to be compounding interest as I’ve a State Pension to draw when I’m 66.
I do the form with time to spare, but I like to hang on to the cash till nearer the deadline. You'll have to wait.
 HMRC Log In Problem - Clk Sec
>> a very helpful lady sorted it out in a few minutes,

I've always found HMRC helpful and knowledgeable. I usually have to 'phone them once a year, and it rarely takes longer than a few minutes before someone picks up.
 HMRC Log In Problem - Bromptonaut
>> Finally got through on the phone and a very helpful lady sorted it out in
>> a few minutes, a new ID did the trick.

I suspect a wait today was inevitable. Civil Service have Xmas Day and Boxing Day as public/bank holidays plus one 'privilege' day which most will have taken as Friday 27. I wouldn't be surprised if building managers preferred it that way as heating etc could be in standby mode from last Tuesday.

Even today it's probably only minimum numbers.

Personally, before kids and again once they were past toddling, I preferred to work 'betwixtmas' and get stuff done without interruption but others wanted time with family and stayed off until new year.
>>
>>
>> I suspect a wait today was inevitable. Civil Service have Xmas Day and Boxing Day
>> as public/bank holidays plus one 'privilege' day which most will have taken as Friday 27.
>>

>> Even today it's probably only minimum numbers.
>>
>>
>>
Plus you've got the idiots who've had since April to file their returns but still leave it till the last......…..Oh, hang on a mo...
 HMRC Log In Problem - Duncan
HMRC

HMRC!

Ah! I remember those happy days going to my local office at the top of The Tolworth Tower!

Oh! I had some much fun there. Those intimate little chats. "Can you come into this room Mr Duncan?"

So many interesting conversations.

I miss those days you know?
 HMRC Log In Problem - The Melting Snowman
FY18/19 was the first time I submitted my tax return on-line rather than on paper. After one or two minor points I found the whole process quick and easy and will certainly be submitting on-line from now on. I fed back my positive experience and have even joined the group of users who are occasionally asked to test new functionality.
 HMRC Log In Problem - legacylad
I know they often come in for criticism, but I have nothing but praise for my VAT investigation of many years ago.
In my line of retail, with a number of outlets, I would buy in bulk, literally tons at a time, and break the product down to sell in much smaller quantities. These products, several lines of which were VAT free, had a much larger profit margin than other stock lines.
I used to work out the % of vat/ non vat purchases, and pay VAT on that same percentage at retail value. As my line of work was open to abuse ( people were known to pay cash at a wholesaler, dispense with paperwork, and pocket the total sale proceeds) I had two VAT inspectors spend a week with me going through my accounting procedures...each business had its own set of book keeping accounts.
Once they’d studied margins, they advised me to breakdown the retail value of non VAT purchases, and subtract that from the total retail sales figure. And it could be backdated a number of years.
My VAT refund, which took me 3 whole days to do, bought me a nice new VW Transporter !
Lovely helpful people
Now the damn site is refusing to take the money from my debit card, when I pressed "Pay now" the little whirry thing kept going round for two hours and then froze. An attempt to set up a deirect debit was met with a message "We are unable to do that now, please try again later".

Maybe they feel sorry for me and want to let me off this year.
You can always send a cheque to HMRC.
 HMRC Log In Problem - Zero
A cheque? how quaint.
 HMRC Log In Problem - R.P.
There is an You Tube on how to write one
 HMRC Log In Problem - No FM2R
I don't know when I lost the ability to write legibly, but I certainly did. A cheque is right on the edge of my abilities.

Cheques have only recently started to die out here - the last 2 years, maybe - so I still have to write them from time to time. Though they are now dying out fast.
 HMRC Log In Problem - R.P.
I still write the occasional one - for a very odd reason the company replacing my central heating oil tank wanted 50% up front payable by cheque. They came to do the work - they sent me the final invoice they were more than happy for me to pay by bank transfer.

I'll start a ranting thread about the process on another thread !
 HMRC Log In Problem - Fullchat
This should be interesting. I'm on my third tank. Steel, plastic that started to split die to UV (after warranty ran out) and now a double skinned one.
The company that do my boiler servicing quoted silly and more or less wanted to re site it in the middle of my lawn due to the vast amount of regulation surrounding siting oil tanks, Mainly due to fire retarding wooden sheds and wooden soffits/fascias of garages. Fortunately I found a company much cheaper who positioned it where the old one had been directly behind the garage.
Their take on it was that if they complied with the regs in their entirety they would be out of business and that some common sense should be applied.

Strangely enough I was talking about cheques to a cashier in Toolstation yesterday.She said she had never written one.
>> I don't know when I lost the ability to write legibly, but I certainly did.
>> A cheque is right on the edge of my abilities.

I too have lost the ability to write longhand, the last time I tried to write a cheque my hand and brain were completely flummoxed.
>>
>>
>> I too have lost the ability to write longhand, the last time I tried to
>> write a cheque my hand and brain were completely flummoxed.
>>

I used to get compliments on my handwriting at school. I has now become so bad through lack of practice that I often cannot understand reminder notes I've written for myself. And I had to junk a couple of Christmas cards I started to write this year and start again they were embarrassingly awful.
 HMRC Log In Problem - henry k
I am still in the dark ages and do not do online banking from home and my dumb phone will not accept apps .
Having been scammed some years ago ( no idea how) when money was transferred from my son in Aus to me via a very well known money transfer co I am still wary.
I can do transfers via the terminals in my bank if I have time to visit.

My only " free" time is for a few hours once week
Paying my monthly CC bill is often done by cheque.
The cost of a stamp and posting it vs diverting to the bank and wasting time at a slow clunky terminal is a no contest.
Cheques are still useful to me.
 HMRC Log In Problem - Duncan
>> Paying my monthly CC bill is often done by cheque.
>> The cost of a stamp and posting it vs diverting to the bank and wasting
>> time at a slow clunky terminal is a no contest.

Why don't you do it by direct debit?
 HMRC Log In Problem - CGNorwich
I use online banking for cash transfers but I must admit all the security kerfuffle when making a payment, especially for new payees, is a pain.
>> A cheque? how quaint.
>>

I guess so, but a useful alternative to DD when settling the odd infrequent invoices, and if you've lost the ability to write, pop into your friendly local building society next time you're in town and they'll give you a neatly printed one.

e, pop into your friendly local building society
>> next time you're in town and they'll give you a neatly printed one.

Its been shut because no-one goes in there anymore.
 HMRC Log In Problem - CGNorwich
I seem to remember that in Board of the Inland Revenue V Haddock it was found that a cow can be aN acceptable substitute for a paper cheque

en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Board_of_Inland_Revenue_v_Haddock
 HMRC Log In Problem - bathtub tom
My favoured MOT garage only take cheques. Means I keep my hand in once a year.
Latest Forum Posts