Non-motoring > Anyone's ears burning? Miscellaneous
Thread Author: bathtub tom Replies: 60

Anyone's ears burning? - bathtub tom
Seems we're the topic of a thread over on HJ: www.honestjohn.co.uk/forum/post/133807/has-the-other-
 Anyone's ears burning? - No FM2R
Damn, I haven't looked in there for years but thought I'd look to see what they were saying. How very gratifying to see that I can still have an effect when I choose to and seemingly upon the people I choose. That's nice, I hate to miss a target.

BTW, I wonder if they can see the irony in this statement made by one of them shortly after someone else commented on how lively HJ was compared to this forum....

"As it happens, I was beginning to wonder if this forum itself was grinding to a halt. This topic, however, is the liveliest and longest we've had for some time. I hope we have more like it."

*WE* are the most interesting discussion they've had for some time. How very, very sad.

Ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha.

Clearly for some we are an object of their obsession. Doesn't say much about the rest of their lives though.
Last edited by: No FM2R on Wed 1 Jan 20 at 23:10
 Anyone's ears burning? - VxFan
I thought we got past the "them and us" discussions long ago.

Obviously not it would seem.
 Anyone's ears burning? - Duncan
I think it is interesting to see yourselves as others see you.

Personal question. Why do you so often post at two something in the morning?
 Anyone's ears burning? - Crankcase
Interesting. I read that and thought I'd log in again to comment briefly. Not logged in for years I guess.

Rotten lot have deleted my account.

Anyone's ears burning? - Rudedog
I often have a read of the posts and took an interest in this one....and to be honest I think maybe they should look in the mirror, I don't think many forums are what they used to be with new members so it's not just this one.

Few things strike me when I visit.

The 'non-motoring' section is very flat not much activity.

The technical section is ok but is dominated by people asking for a 'radio code' for Ford cars.

The general motoring seems to have the same main participants that can be quite forceful in their options, recommendations for Korean & Japanese cars at the expense of most other marks, economic driving is uppermost with no real mention of maybe driving an unreliable car because it might be enjoyable, plus some very questionable advice on car maintenance including using beer cans and peanut butter to fix problems or just use 'thicker' oil.

Luckily we don't have there big issue of mega spammers resurrecting 10 year old threads which then in-turn leads to any new member being labeled a troll.

December/New Year tends to be a quite time for motoring across many of the forums I visit.

Anyone's ears burning? - Zero

>> Rotten lot have deleted my account.

Clearly a forum of taste and class.
>> Personal question. Why do you so often post at two something in the morning?

Always been a night owl. Manage most of the time on approx. 4 hrs sleep.

When times were busier here and in t'other place, it also meant that things were monitored nearly 24/7.
 Anyone's ears burning? - sooty123
> Always been a night owl. Manage most of the time on approx. 4 hrs sleep.
>>
>>

Must be quite handy if you want to bingewatch stuff.
>> I thought we got past the "them and us" discussions long ago.
>>
>> Obviously not it would seem.
>>

Probably a reflection of the stagnant numbers of members on both forums. I'd bet 90% were here when the forum split up/got created.
Wow I got a right pasting, seems I bought the Beemer to boast about it. Clearly I am an absolute cad, BEAMS WITH PRIDE
>> seems I bought the Beemer to boast about it.
>>

What is there to boast about in buying a carpy old Beemer?

Now a MERCEDES BENZ. Well.
 Anyone's ears burning? - Runfer D'Hills
>> Now a MERCEDES BENZ. Well.

Or as my German friend and neighbour refers to them, "Daimlers"

Fair makes me all warm and fuzzy ! ;-)
 Anyone's ears burning? - Lygonos
>>Or as my German friend and neighbour refers to them, "Daimlers"

Pfft. What do they know?

Probably pronounce it Die-immlers just to annoy proper folk.
On the money Lygonos, he does pronounce it like that. As for what he knows about cars, well, Bentley must think he knows a fair old bit, he's pretty much up there on the crud free branches of that tree. ;-)
Ahahahahahahahahaaaaa……………

www.bentleymotors.com/en.html

Have a look at each of the MODEL tabs.

Munters one and all - the Bentayga looks like a corpulent bloated LTI Taxi.

Actually, when the Bentayga was on pre-release he had one home for the weekend and did seem remarkably unsurprised when I mentioned that the styling was erm, a bit, well, you know...
 Anyone's ears burning? - CGNorwich
Here we are discussing another forum discussing this forum. I guess someonee there will soon post a response to our comments.

This could run and run.
Last edited by: CGNorwich on Thu 2 Jan 20 at 09:38
Well someone has been making a pretty accurate timeline about me, and stalking me across two fora, when you achieve such infamy its hard not to boast about it.
Last edited by: Zero on Thu 2 Jan 20 at 09:45
 Anyone's ears burning? - Bromptonaut
>> Well someone has been making a pretty accurate timeline about me,

A couple of questions were asked and answers provided.

Don't flatter yourself that you're worth stalking :-P
>> >> Well someone has been making a pretty accurate timeline about me,
>>
>> A couple of questions were asked and answers provided.
>>
>> Don't flatter yourself that you're worth stalking :-P

Button that coat up on your rampant jealousy you unremarkable faceless government bureaucrat. ;p
Last edited by: Zero on Thu 2 Jan 20 at 10:11
>> Button that coat up on your rampant jealousy you unremarkable faceless government bureaucrat. ;p

Left that behind years ago. I'm a caring, sharing and smiling charity worker now :-)
 Anyone's ears burning? - Biggles
I have not been on this site for many years but after the post on the HJ site I have taken the time to peruse this site again. I must say that I was quite shocked as to how the Brexit topic was allowed to get so out of hand that the moderators used their powers to ban Pat who it would appear was simply standing up to what she perceived to be acts of bullying.

With Brexit (at least the first stage) now being a "done deal" would it not be an act of magnanimity to rescind this ban?
 Anyone's ears burning? - MD
Talking of Stalking: My new girlfriend thinks I'm a Stalker..........................Well, she's not my girlfriend - YET!
Stalking is when two people go for a long romantic walk together but only one of them knows about it.
 Anyone's ears burning? - Haywain
" the moderators used their powers to ban Pat "

I didn't realise that Pat had been banned; I thought that she'd simply had a bellyful of unpleasant, religious Bremainialism and decided that enough was enough.
 Anyone's ears burning? - tyrednemotional
>> I didn't realise that Pat had been banned;

........I'm surprised at that, because you're awfully perceptive about most things........
"I'm surprised at that, because you're awfully perceptive about most things"

I know.
 Anyone's ears burning? - tyrednemotional
>> "I'm surprised at that, because you're awfully perceptive about most things"
>>
>> I know.
>>

....as I said, "about most things".....

>> With Brexit (at least the first stage) now being a "done deal" would it not
>> be an act of magnanimity to rescind this ban?

She wasn't banned because of Brexit, she got banned because she kept bombarding the Mods with complaints that they were unfairly treating her. She was a woman who invented injustices towards her so she could rail against them.
What Z said.
>> What Z said.

Still a regular visitor, has looked in today according to her profile.

I've said before that I think she's done her porridge and should be allowed back on licence......
>> >> What Z said.
>>
>> Still a regular visitor, has looked in today according to her profile.
>>
>> I've said before that I think she's done her porridge and should be allowed back
>> on licence......

To be fair, I agree. I mean if they could consider giving John Worboys release, Pat must be in with a good shout!
 Anyone's ears burning? - James Loveless
Sorry to criticise, but...

It seems unnecessarily unpleasant to put this individual in the same bracket as John Worboys, who was convicted of multiple sex crimes.

Maybe meant in jest, but still a nasty comment.
>> Maybe meant in jest, but still a nasty comment.

Not nasty, but chosen - as an extreme - an example of a really bad crime attracting some form of redemption, vs a trivial crime with excessive sentence.

Think about it, can you , off the top of your head, name someone who was least deserving of parole than warboys?

I mean you have to be a little oversensitive if you think I was comparing Pat to a multiple rapist.
Last edited by: Zero on Thu 2 Jan 20 at 16:39
Bromp you worry about this far too much. Rushing in to answer questions in other places, checking on Pat's profile to see when she last came in, etc. etc. It's all a bit obsessive.

Who cares whether or not Pat is here? Probably not even Pat.
Last edited by: VxFan on Tue 3 Mar 20 at 12:46
>> Bromp you worry about this stuff too much. Rushing in to answer questions in other
>> places, checking on Pat's profile to see when she last came in, etc. etc. It's
>> all a bit obsessive.
>>
>> Who cares whether or not Pat is here? Probably not even Pat.
>>

The life of the semi retired, he'll be keeping notes on who parks and when in the street next.

;-)
Last edited by: VxFan on Tue 3 Mar 20 at 12:46
 Anyone's ears burning? - smokie
" keeping notes "

Don't get me started. Today I went for a walk to town. A few doors along their cleaning lady had parked almost fully on the kerb. The road is wide enough to not put any wheels on the pavements, let alone all of them.

Then around the corner, where the road is a little narrower but busier, and there is only pedestrian footpath on one side, a Dyno Rod operative was als blocking nearly all the pavement. Anyone with restricted mobility or a pushchair would have had to go into a reasonably busy road to pass.

He happened to be knee deep in re-processed Brussels at the front of the house so I politely pointed out what inconsiderate parking it was, to be met with an unnecessarily aggressive comment in return, I do have a picture of the van but I doubt Dyno Rod HQ would be interested as I think it's a franchise, and Old Bill has better things to do.
Last edited by: smokie on Thu 2 Jan 20 at 17:53
I
>> doubt Dyno Rod HQ would be interested as I think it's a franchise, and Old
>> Bill has better things to do.
>>

I think the done thing is to put it on their twitter account.
 Anyone's ears burning? - bathtub tom
My response would be to point out blind people use this pavement, take photos openly and report it to their employers.
 Anyone's ears burning? - CGNorwich
Really? A guy just doing his job ?
"Really? A guy just doing his job ?"

My feeling too; cut the poor chap a bit of slack - it's not as though he'd abandoned the van and gone down the pub.
 Anyone's ears burning? - Falkirk Bairn
DynoRod = British Gas
>> Bromp you worry about this stuff too much.

I think it may be you who is over worrying.

If questions are asked and I think I know the answer I'll usually say something. That applies to 'real life' too.

As to Pat one of her posts came up on a forum search a month or two ago. Out of curiosity I right clicked her profile to see if she'd been in recently - had, on same day. I simply checked again yesterday before agreeing with another poster who said she'd 'done her time'.

It was a quiet hour at work.
Last edited by: VxFan on Tue 3 Mar 20 at 12:47
>> As to Pat one of her posts came up on a forum search a month
>> or two ago. Out of curiosity I right clicked her profile to see if she'd
>> been in recently - had, on same day. I simply checked again yesterday before agreeing
>> with another poster who said she'd 'done her time'.

Surely, if one simply 'looks', without logging in, then no one knows that you have looked?
>> Surely, if one simply 'looks', without logging in, then no one knows that you have
>> looked?

Even though I'm logged out I'm shown as User: Bromptonaut in the box at top right of screen and 'new' posts are flagged. I suspect that just having been in counts as a visit. Don't see how Pat could sign in as her account is disabled.

Probably depends on cookies and how your preferences are set either n this site or your browser.
>> Here we are discussing another forum discussing this forum. I guess someonee there will soon
>> post a response to our comments.
>>
>> This could run and run.
>>

They have, Apparently this thread is much harsher than theirs.
>> Apparently this thread is much harsher than theirs.

That's why we've got sawdust for floor covering in this establishment ;)
We have floors?
>> We have floors?

Yeah but we try to keep you locked in the cellar as much as possible, if nothing more than to keep the HJ watchers safe.
I did think it was rather dark.......
>> We have floors?

Yes, somewhere under all the blood and broken teeth.
To be honest, I don't know what all the fuss is about. I post and chat on HJ, C4P and on The GOF. It's only like popping into different pubs really. Some regulars are different in each, some attract the same people, each has a different atmosphere and prevailing character, but they are all able to mostly entertain, inform and very occasionally, irritate me in their own ways.

As for staying away from any of them because a post is not aligned with your taste or opinion, well, a bit like a TV programme you might not like, you can just not bother with it. Doesn't mean you have to boycott or miss out on other programmes on that channel that you do enjoy.

To use yet another analogy, these forums are a bit like a cocktail party, you can drift in and out as you wish, chat, join in, or just or listen to those conversations that interest you, politely ignore the ones that don't, and try to enjoy yourself.

Overthinking the importance of it all is not very useful, it's just a pastime after all, they are not a private members clubs, none of them charge an entrance fee, none of them require a funny handshake. It's just something to do that may amuse for a while, and in the end sticks and stones etc...

Happy Easter when it comes !

;-)
Yeah, that. All of it.
 Anyone's ears burning? - The Melting Snowman
I'm sure before long they will get back to discussing the predictable monotony of Mazdas and Korean cars.
 Anyone's ears burning? - The Melting Snowman
Despite Avant's more upbeat stance, I think the HJ forum appears significantly quieter than it used to be. I remember in its heyday (2006/07 ?) that a day's worth of postings would more than fill a page. Now it's not unusual for four or five days' worth to be on the same page.

It's a trend I've noticed on other forums I visit as well, not just motoring ones. I think people are connecting to the web in different ways (twitter, Facebook) but more than anything I think it's just the novelty of website forums has worn off. Being able to post content and contribute to discussions was a 'big thing' fifteen years ago. Not so now. Also any question one needs answered has almost definitely already been answered, so no need to join a forum and go further than the search engine results.

Maybe people are even talking to each other in their spare time? No there's a novel thought.
 Anyone's ears burning? - zippy
Oscar Wilde:

"There is only one thing in life worse than being talked about, and that is not being talked about."

:-)
 Anyone's ears burning? - Manatee
>> Yeah, that. All of it.

Quite.

I'm fascinated by different views sometimes. And debate is fine when it adds something. But just arguing ad nauseam to try and 'win' the argument misses the point. Rarely does it change anybody's mind, and rarely becomes never when the argument consists of insults!
>>Happy Easter when it comes !

In Chile Father Christmas / Santa Claus is known as "Viejo Pascuero" which means "Old Easter Man".

I thought you might need to know that.
My life could hardly be more complete now that has been revealed to me. Obliged.
It's a service I willingly provide.
Latest Forum Posts