Non-motoring > GU10 LED Spot Bulb - Spawn of the Devil Green Issues
Thread Author: zippy Replies: 33

GU10 LED Spot Bulb - Spawn of the Devil - zippy
No I am not being dramatic!

Got a suction cup to remove the old ones but there is so much fiddling to get the new one to go in. The bulb needs to be near 100% horizontal and the spurs need to line up with the holes then twist.

Then the effectiveness of the suction cup wears down and you cant turn the things.

Ten lights later and my neck hurts and I am ready to swear at someone!

GU10 LED Spot Bulb - Spawn of the Devil - Zero
the suction cup is just to slide the things out or locate them in, its not used to turn the lamp. Lick your thumbs, push evenly on each side of the glass face and twist. Its a piece of cake. I have 20 in the house (led of course)
 GU10 LED Spot Bulb - Spawn of the Devil - VxFan
Very illuminating ;~)
dont be bright spark.
 GU10 LED Spot Bulb - Spawn of the Devil - Robin O'Reliant
Once you get the hang of them they are a doddle. You need to stand on something so you can work at a comfortable level without stretching and they are easy to align.

Don't touch them when they're hot, like some idiots do...;-)
 GU10 LED Spot Bulb - Spawn of the Devil - R.P.
One of my longest serving useful things is a B&Q foldable aluminium stand, cost £10.00 nearly 25 years ago, still in regular use for a multitude of tasks, painting lightbulb changes, painting the ceilings, holding the dog crate when it's out of the car, holding tools or for sitting on when making bike tweaks...covered in the paint of dozens of room......
In his element as usual. I've changed them often in our previous house (the only source of lighting as it happens ) swapping ones that blew for LEDs. The only ones here are in the kitchen, they're LED so hopefully won't need changing. Anyway, what Zero says.
 GU10 LED Spot Bulb - Spawn of the Devil - Bobby
In my kitchen I had two spotlights with 3 x GU10 in each. LED of course. But still pretty dull with lots of shadow.

Bought two of these to try them out instead - what a difference, literally night and day. Seriously thinking of changing more of the lights in the house to versions of these (except they are so bright that they will show up all marks, dirt, etc!)

www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B07TT1J2QT
>> dont be a bright spark.

Never a dull day with knowwun around.
 GU10 LED Spot Bulb - Spawn of the Devil - maltrap
I find wearing a pair of Marigolds helpful for doing such jobs.

(Make sure nobody is watching you)
 GU10 LED Spot Bulb - Spawn of the Devil - Bromptonaut
We had kitchen 'done' late 2018 including 8 GU10 LED downlighters; they're Osram 28k and around same light as 60 watt incandescent.

So far four bulbs have developed a flicker. They're in conical fittings that slot into void between ceiling and upstairs. No ventilation and i suspect issue is bulbs running hot. One fitting was clearly faulty with sloppy contacts; electrician subby replaced it without demur.

I've used 30k Sylvanias as replacements and so far OK.

They're easy to replace as the socket is easy to handle and match to bayonet.

Not same with others in bedrooms or a desk lamp in my study. They're a S o D to change.

>> So far four bulbs have developed a flicker. They're in conical fittings that slot into
>> void between ceiling and upstairs. No ventilation and i suspect issue is bulbs running hot.
>> One fitting was clearly faulty with sloppy contacts; electrician subby replaced it without demur.

Not heat, its the capacitors in the power supply, the longevity of which is a scourge in all modern electronics.
>> Not heat, its the capacitors in the power supply, the longevity of which is a
>> scourge in all modern electronics.

Thanks for that contribution Z.

If peak temperature or thermal cycling was issue I'd have been thinking about modifying the conical housings with ventilation holes to better control temperate.

Any clues as to what's knocking the capacitors out?

Too soon to see how replacement bulb's power supply functions.

Last edited by: Bromptonaut on Thu 16 Jan 20 at 22:02
>> Any clues as to what's knocking the capacitors out?

Its nothing more complicated than driving down component cost and the resulting poor quality. I can now buyLED GU10s at £1.50 each retail, imagine what wholesale and factory gate prices are!

I would guess the life of a new led domestic bulb is now about 3 years.
Last edited by: Zero on Thu 16 Jan 20 at 22:09
Which are the best buy I wonder, proper branded ones I suppose. Incredible value when you consider the complexity of making and shipping them. Any made in the EU
>> Which are the best buy I wonder, proper branded ones I suppose.

You'd think/hope so but the items failing in my Kitchen are Osram.
>> Its nothing more complicated than driving down component cost and the resulting poor quality. I
>> can now buyLED GU10s at £1.50 each retail, imagine what wholesale and factory gate prices
>> are!

That clicks. I got ten of them that are a wee bit brighter than the 50watt equivalent for Mrs B's study where, sunny afternoons excluded, light is p poor for less than £20.

I guess at those prices they're disposable; not worth mitigating for short life.

But then again the beggars end up in land fill.
Last edited by: Bromptonaut on Thu 16 Jan 20 at 22:14
>> I guess at those prices they're disposable; not worth mitigating for short life.
>>
>> But then again the beggars end up in land fill.

As did the old candescent lamps, which I think were ever so slightly more environmentally toxic. At least LED lamps have significantly reduced electricity generation issues.
Last edited by: Zero on Thu 16 Jan 20 at 22:21
What was toxic in a standard 60/100watt incandescent?

You're right about power usage though.

Classic eco-dilemma.....
>> What was toxic in a standard 60/100watt incandescent?
>>
The filaments were I think tungsten or tungsten coated, and heating it up produced a toxic coating, the contact pads in the socket end were lead based, this is all from vague memory tho.
Last edited by: Zero on Thu 16 Jan 20 at 22:33
 GU10 LED Spot Bulb - Spawn of the Devil - Kevin
We are almost exclusively LED with a just a few CFLs to be replaced. As Zero says they tend to start failing after three to four years of regular use although we have some that are still OK after about six years because they don't get used for long periods.
On the spec sheet for the TP8602 tube lamps (we have 20 of them) it actually says that they are not intended for continuous use.
 GU10 LED Spot Bulb - Spawn of the Devil - smokie
The issue with failures used to be that one company's 3000W colour didn't match another, sometimes by a massive amount, and almost always noticeably when part of a set in one ceiling. I think that;s improved somewhat but still not perfect - so the replacement might need to be put in the least obtrusive place!
The colour mismatch is often down to aging. LED bulbs start to fade with time. You generally don't notice it though because it is a gradual thing. However, fit a new LED bulb next to an old one and the difference is noticeable straight away.
>> On the spec sheet for the TP8602 tube lamps (we have 20 of them) it
>> actually says that they are not intended for continuous use.

Interesting. Intuitively it's on/off cycling that kills bulbs and continuous use = longer life.

PSU & inability to disperse heat?
LEDS are not naturally hot (colour wise) or bright (Lumens wise) to get them bright they are over driven beyond spec, not permanently but cycled on off. With mains its easy to cycle them, you half wave rectify them, on car you need a frequency derived driver circuit.

With white LEDS you can't see them being cycled* but with red ones you can, look at a cars rear lights out of the corner of your eye, or quickly shake your head backwards and forwards. Thats due to cycling and light wave length.
>> LEDS are not naturally hot (colour wise)

Does that mean warm colour LEDs are likely to fail before their cooler equivalents?
Kinda, equivalent wattage (lumens) is the killer
Last edited by: Zero on Fri 17 Jan 20 at 20:54
 GU10 LED Spot Bulb - Spawn of the Devil - Kevin
>..we have some that are still OK after about six years because they don't get used for long periods.

Typical! One of the blighters failed today.
Wasn't it Clive Sinclair who discovered that LEDs (for calculators) don't need power all the time?

I recall he was building a calculator and had battery life problems and he or his team discovered that they continue to output light for milliseconds after the power is removed so they built the calculator to take advantage of this and give it longer battery life.
We have 12 GU10 spots in the lounge, split in to two banks of 6.

Tonight one bank failed all at once. The fuse is ok so I guess there is a wiring fault somewhere.

This house is getting annoying!
 GU10 LED Spot Bulb - Spawn of the Devil - sooty123
Rather than start a new thread, I though I add to this one.

Anyway, in our house it's got lots of spot lights with I'm pretty sure are GU10. I'm not a fan of them either recessed in the ceiling or on spotlight type like this

www.diy.com/departments/chrome-effect-mains-powered-4-lamp-spotlight/1714156_BQ.prd

There's 4 sets of ones similar to that, I'd like to replace them with something else. Either a pendant type light or something else.

The ones recessed in the ceilings will be more of a faff to replace, so they'll have to wait. But in the meantime, anyone replaced something like the spotlights above? If so with what? Thanks.
 GU10 LED Spot Bulb - Spawn of the Devil - Clk Sec
We had six GU10 bulbs installed about 10 years ago when we had a kitchen refit at our last house. They didn't get used all that often, but Mrs CS did find them quite useful on particularly dark days.

The house we moved to last year is awash with them; they are everywhere, including 4 in a room at the bottom of the garden. We quite like them, and haven't had to replace any at either property.
 GU10 LED Spot Bulb - Spawn of the Devil - sooty123
I'm sure they are no less reliable than other forms of lighting, just not a fan of the spot light type of lighting.
 GU10 LED Spot Bulb - Spawn of the Devil - Ambo
LED bulb rating equivalences appear to be random. 6, 5 and 5/6watts covers 40, 50 or 60 incandescent, according to what comparison chart I look at. 11 covers 70 or 75. 9-13 covers 75-100. (The curiously-rated 25.28 covers 150.)
Latest Forum Posts