Non-motoring > Deliveries after the 31st Miscellaneous
Thread Author: Rudedog Replies: 12

Deliveries after the 31st - Rudedog
Serious question and relates to car parts I need but will also affect small collector items I buy via Ebay.

There are several maintenance items I need for the Golf and even after much searching I can still buy the parts cheaper from Germany and from past experience the delivery times are often better than in the UK.

I've heard small snippets on the radio that nothing will change after the 31st but does anybody know of what actually will happen i.e. postal changes, import charges.

I don't what to have to 'rush' to buy items before the end of the month if I can help it.
 Deliveries after the 31st - Bromptonaut
AIUI nothing changes on 31-01-20. We're no longer a member but move a transition phase and everything in terms of paperwork, duty etc stays the same. There will presumably be something on HMRC or DExEU websites to explain exactly what happens.

The uncertainty now is around 31-12-20 when transition ends.
 Deliveries after the 31st - Zero
Yeah. Boris's idea of "lets get brexit done" is to kick that can down the road aways.
Last edited by: Zero on Sun 19 Jan 20 at 10:45
 Deliveries after the 31st - Manatee
>> Yeah. Boris's idea of "lets get brexit done" is to kick that can down the
>> road aways.

And to create another cliff edge. We will find out in due course whether that is a good idea. I suspect it isn't, as the UK has most at stake as a proportion of GDP and therefore the EU has more leverage. IMO the EU has already shown that it can play this game quite well
 Deliveries after the 31st - tyrednemotional
...nothing much is going to change on rules and regulations until 31/12....

...but, I also buy an amount of "stuff" from Germany, and when it looked like we were going to be out previously (before one of the n postponements) it was noticeable that a number of my sources had decided in advance that they just weren't going to deal with UK customers, and had removed shipping options to the UK (a number of them rather pointedly - one of whom happily subsequently re-instated them).

I think you need to be aware of at least this possibility, some suppliers just don't want the potential issues of uncertain future trading.
 Deliveries after the 31st - Runfer D'Hills
...and, many EU companies just don't want to place orders with British suppliers right now. The uncertainty created in the past three and a half years has crippled my ( and many other British fashion brands ) European activities and cost a lot of breadwinner jobs. But, Boris says it's all going to be great, so that's ok then.
....I suspect the recent announcement of non-alignment of regulations ain't going to help much in the interim....

But, as Sajid Javid says, you've had three years to get prepared for that*, so stop whingeing.

(* of course, Teresa May's approach was to largely align such arrangements, and in reality Javid's announcement of last week was the first real solid flag of such non-alignment - which may well be posturing, but doesn't help industry one iota).
 Deliveries after the 31st - Rudedog
When I heard this it made me feel sick... just going to be the thin end of the wedge, so I guess no more CE marks? or the return of BS marked products, then the divergence of other rights... and an increased race to the bottom in standards..... or maybe a two tier system?

Deliveries after the 31st - No FM2R
>>....I suspect the recent announcement of non-alignment of regulations ain't going to help much in the interim...

How's that going to work then?

The Government will forbid companies to make things to EU spec for sale within the EU?

Perhaps that rather then getting rid of the much derided and purportedly restrictive EU standards they are going to bring in some even *more* restrictive UK standards?

Because if the EU standard / process / regulation requires a higher spec, there is nothing to force the UK to stick to a lower spec.

If the UK spec is higher, then what happened to getting rid of all the restrictions and freeing up the business?

And if a company's main market is the EU, why would they stay in the UK to play with some enforced regulation which only hurts them?

What a load of old dross. The UK may be 'free' but the UK companies will follow the EU rules and regs or become a UK only trader. Unlike their suppliers and their customers.
>>
>> How's that going to work then?
>>

...as you allude, not at all on any practical level (unless we really do want to absolutely detach ourselves commercially from the EU - which in itself is not practicable).

Which is why it is such an asinine statement for a Government minister to make at this point. The only purpose it serves is to posture and threaten the EU during negotiations*. I doubt very much that that will be productive, and in the meantime, any uncertainty it introduces/prolongs (remember, "Get Brexit Done" was going to remove that uncertainty) continues to damage British commercial interest.

(*I do hope the alternative view isn't true; that they really believe that the statements they're making are helpful and practicable, but with some of the individuals concerned, I do sometimes wonder).
 Deliveries after the 31st - No FM2R
>>But, Boris says it's all going to be great, so that's ok then.

Let's start with the fact that I am no supporter of him these days.

However, what's he actually going to say? "That's it lads, we're f***ked!"?

Surely he's got little choice but to be upbeat?

It most definitely isn't going to be great in the short term. It won't be great again until we've come up with a commercial alternative for the EU. But we'll get there, one day. The people that understand what is going on will eventually compensate for the disaster caused by those who don't that are driven by the fear of that lack of understanding.

Despite the obsessed ramblings of some, we had no real path to cancel it. In fact as a country we had no real path to stopping it at all; at best we could have stalled it and lived in a state of chaos of hung governments and inertia.

Those obsessed with the referendum whether it be the ignorant with their endless immature nicknames, of the fanatical who simply wish to fight the battle over and over again do us no favours.

Now it's got to be done. Once done. it can be managed, coped with and compensated for.

For Johnson, pretty much a rock and a hard place.

However, there's no pretending it's good, it really isn't. It's just how it is and the ignorant will never grasp it.
 Deliveries after the 31st - zippy
>>For Johnson, pretty much a rock and a hard place.

And much of it is of his making!
 Deliveries after the 31st - zippy
>> ...and, many EU companies just don't want to place orders with British suppliers right now.
>> The uncertainty created in the past three and a half years has crippled my (
>> and many other British fashion brands ) European activities and cost a lot of breadwinner
>> jobs. But, Boris says it's all going to be great, so that's ok then.
>>

Been signing that song for the last 2 years, when I first mentioned a client of mine that manufactures CNC machines.

They have a better product and with a cheaper price at the moment due to the lower Pound, but key customers have switched to their competitors because the customers want guaranteed supply and spare parts sitting in a customs warehouse for six weeks just won't cut it when their machine is down and a production line is not working.
Latest Forum Posts