Non-motoring > Kobe Bryant Miscellaneous
Thread Author: Robin O'Reliant Replies: 14

Kobe Bryant - Robin O'Reliant
Had anyone ever heard of him?

All over the front pages this morning and the reaction of everyone who came in the shop was "Who the hell is he?"

Sad and all that, but...
 Kobe Bryant - zippy
Same reaction here.

But then the kids were "OMG, can't believe it." etc.

It's a generational thing.

Kobe Bryant - CGNorwich
>> Same reaction here.
>>
>> But then the kids were "OMG, can't believe it." etc.
>>
>> It's a generational thing.
>>
Absolutely. I doubt if anyone under 30 has heard of those mentioned in RIP threads on this site!

My grandson plays basketball and Bryant was real superstar to him

Last edited by: CGNorwich on Mon 27 Jan 20 at 19:09
 Kobe Bryant - Lygonos
Modern day Michael Jordan.

Even the olds will have heard of Jordan.

If only to recall exclaiming "HOW MUCH!?!?!?" when their offspring wanted a pair of Nike Air Jordans in the 80s/90s.
 Kobe Bryant - CGNorwich
Perhaps modern day Stanley Matthews will be a better simile for some :-)
 Kobe Bryant - Robin O'Reliant
The only basketball player I could name is Meadowlark Lemon.
 Kobe Bryant - sooty123
I've heard of him, knew who he played for and that he was extremely well known in the US. I can't say I followed his career too closely though.
 Kobe Bryant - Crankcase
>> Modern day Michael Jordan.
>>
>> Even the olds will have heard of Jordan.
>>

Afraid not.
 Kobe Bryant - VxFan
>> Even the olds will have heard of Jordan.

Can't say that I have in the 51 years I've lived on this planet.
 Kobe Bryant - sooty123
Its normally me on saying 'who?' so that makes a change :-)

I'm surprised people haven't heard of Michael Jordan, he was the tiger woods of 80/90s a proper superstar. Mind you someone will say they've never heard of tiger woods now ;-)
 Kobe Bryant - legacylad
I’ve only ever heard of Michael Jordan, probably because of something to do with endorsing trainers. A friend of mine had children who had told her about the connection.

Which reminds me....several years ago I was checking out Scottsdale AZ where my female US friends spend a week every year watching ‘Spring Training’. Daily baseball games, lots of girlie drinking and chilling away from their husbands. I was sat at the counter in the Original Pancake House and got chatting to the guy next to me. We got chatting about European countries and the differences in such a small geographical area, and he told me about his worldwide travels. Which were extensive. I assumed he was a businessman. Smashing bloke . We talked for over an hour. He was most unassuming, we shook hands, exchanged pleasantries, he left.
My server told me his name was Curley Boo Johnson, ex Harlem Globetrotter.

That’s 3 basketball players I now know the names of.
 Kobe Bryant - Zero
Kobe Bryant? Yes I have heard of him, sufficiently to know the BBC had put up the wrong picture!

I can probably name all the PGA/USGA golfers, The leading MLBaseball names, NFL/AFL leading players & coaches, MLBasketball stars, Boxers, NASCAR drivers and teams, Indy car drivers and teams, F1 drivers and teams, Aussie rules teams and stars, Major cricketers, etc etc, without following any of them closely
 Kobe Bryant - CGNorwich
Impressive. Strange thing memory i can remember all sorts of obscure stuff like all the Kings and Queens of England andthe dates they ruled and the latin names of hundreds of plants and animals but sports stars rather elude me. Not sure where i put the car keys either!
 Kobe Bryant - BiggerBadderDave
Never heard of him and care very little.

Sad when I heard his little girl died, though. That hurt a bit.

100 dead Chinese so far from this virus. Haven't seen any celebrities dabbing their eyes yet, neither shall I.

This month, a billion Aussie wildlife have died this month in the worst kind of way. That's something I do find quite distressing.

I remember watching Senna getting killed. That felt like a drop-kick to the chest. Pete Shelley, that knocked me for six. Elisabeth Sladen, still find that upsetting. Many more to come soon I suppose.
 Kobe Bryant - Fullchat
And the world remembers the murder of over 6,000,000 Jews by the Nazis on National Holocaust Day.
Latest Forum Posts