Non-motoring > Portable headphones -what do you use? Miscellaneous
Thread Author: smokie Replies: 24

Portable headphones -what do you use? - smokie
For music on the move I really like in-ear buds but I'm wondering if there is anything better than the Sennheisers I've been using for years. I have some in-ear Bluetooth ones (joined to each other by wire, not those newer individual ones).

I have Koss PortaPro on-ear ones on the computer and some Sony over-ear ones which I use with my (electronic) drum kit.

I like the Koss best of all for lightness and quality of sound but although they are foldable they are a bit clumsy to carry around, i.e. they don't go in a pocket too well.

I mainly listen to blues or rock music, plus some radio. For my music I like a deep bass sound and not too tinny. I don't like spending an arm and leg because I tend to lose them!!

Image isn't important but Dr Dre's might be a step too far for me! :-)

What do other people use, and like, especially portable ones? I guess Bose will be the go-to ones...
 Portable headphones -what do you use? - zippy
Sennheiser HD 4.5 BTNC for me. Wireless Bluetooth. Good quality.

I don't like the in ear ones - I find that they don't fit very well.
 Portable headphones -what do you use? - Zero
Bose Quiet comforts here
 Portable headphones -what do you use? - legacylad
If space isn’t an issue, and on long haul, and for listening to movies on my pad, then my 10yo Bose QC hard wired take some beating. Zeddo confirms. I’ve been looking at ‘over ear’ wireless and a Sony model currently gets the best reviews. Expensive though
In ear, I’ve a pair of Sennheiser CX55 which are donkeys years old. Almost drowns out the drunks on Ryanair.
 Portable headphones -what do you use? - CGNorwich
Bose wireless Quiet Comfort here but they not exactly portable. As a hearing aid user when out and about I just stream via Bluetooth directly to the aids.
 Portable headphones -what do you use? - Zero
>> Bose wireless Quiet Comfort here but they not exactly portable.

Fold up cleverly, but still quite bulky, sound is superb, noise cancelling first rate, wont fly without them, makes long haul bearable. they will be with me on my flight to Montego bay next week.
Agree they’re great for flying and indeed around the house. Cut out the Hoover and washing a
Machine noise really well. Always take them on holiday. By portable I mean they’re not the sort of thing you want o walk down the road with or wear on a.bus.
 Portable headphones -what do you use? - Rudedog
I've never been that comfortable being out and about wearing earphones that totally block out the sounds going on around me... losing that awareness of your surroundings seems daft (dangerous).

Portable headphones -what do you use? - maltrap
Hear Hear !
 Portable headphones -what do you use? - VxFan
>> Hear Hear !

Pardon, pardon

;)
Depends. Sitting on a noisy train for two hour more than happy to block out the world about me. Sometimes in summerI just like to sit outside and listen to some music without annoying others. I often walk a round the track in our local park in an attempt to do my daily 10000 steps and I like to listen to a podcast or radio program while doing it. Doesn’t seem daft or dangerous to me.
 Portable headphones -what do you use? - No FM2R
>> losing that awareness of your surroundings seems daft (dangerous).

There are circumstances where it is not bright, but as a general rule I disagree. I often wear them when on along walk, city or rural. I certainly use them on public transport. I don't use them cycling.
 Portable headphones -what do you use? - No FM2R
I prefer wired in-ear, simply because you can stuff them in your pocket when not in use and you don't have to remember to charge them.

I don't like the very cheap ones because they sound tinny to me, and I do dislike 'tinny'.

The very expensive ones are wasted on me. If I care that much about quality then I'm using the expensive over-ear ones at home but they don't fit in my pocket.

So I use Sony, they're about £10 here, which sound good [enough], are pretty robust, and it doesn't break my heart when I lose them, wreck them or wash them in my pocket - which I about every two - three months.
 Portable headphones -what do you use? - Bromptonaut
>> I prefer wired in-ear, simply because you can stuff them in your pocket when not
>> in use and you don't have to remember to charge them.

That's my preference too. I've had several pairs of Creative EP-630s over the years. Not over expensive (I'm prone to leaving things on trains), OK sound and fit comfortably in my ears. They're noise isolating and I wouldn't wear them cycling, or as I see some people do, driving. OK walking as long as I'me in a safe place; not if I'm worried somebody might be eyeing me up for robbery or whatever.

I did have a Sony Walkman MP3 player with noise cancelling. Excellent on trains or ferries but nothing like as comfortable to wear as the Creatives. Unfortunately the player never recovered after getting wet on a camping holiday.
 Portable headphones -what do you use? - Robin O'Reliant
>> They're noise isolating and I wouldn't wear them cycling, or as I see
>> some people do, driving.
>>

I was astonished to see a bus driver wearing them recently.
 Portable headphones -what do you use? - sooty123
I was astonished to see a bus driver wearing them recently.
>>

Fairly common for bus drivers to do so. I see it quite a bit.
 Portable headphones -what do you use? - sooty123
>> I prefer wired in-ear, simply because you can stuff them in your pocket when not
>> in use and you don't have to remember to charge them.
>

Same here, the big ones look too much of a faff for me.
 Portable headphones -what do you use? - Dog
I bought a pair of these recently to use with my high-res music player when I'm not using my Grado on-ear jobbies.

They are very good for what I want or I would 'ave sent 'em back.

www.amazon.co.uk/SoundMAGIC-E10C-Isolating-Earphones-Microphone-Red/dp/B01H3F0SG0/ref=sr_1_6?crid=1N1YIT7MTUDMZ&keywords=soundmagic+earbuds+wired&qid=1581084496&sprefix=sound+magic+earbuds+wired%2Caps%2C170&sr=8-6
 Portable headphones -what do you use? - devonite
I use a pair of Audiiance over-ear phones, can't do with in-ear or those small ones that sit on your ears! The nice bits are that they are well made, nice rich tones and the wire is corded, not that nasty plastic coated stuff! Hoewever I don't wear them outside because it looks silly! but having said that I do in winter when I'm out on the shore with the hounds, they complement my bobble-hat and look like a pair of ear-muffs, they work like them too - very toastie lugs!
Can't find that make devonite, can you check spelling please?

(I am having a look at what people use but so far, without wishing to spend loads of money, I'm thinking I'll stick with what I know)
 Portable headphones -what do you use? - Bromptonaut
Google finds Audiance but they're not on Amazon UK.
Ah thanks!
 Portable headphones -what do you use? - devonite
Sorry, my spelling! - Audiance A2's plenty on google images, I got mine from Ebay.
 Portable headphones -what do you use? - Rudedog
I've had several over the years..

Shure in-ear - expensive for what they were and had first set replaced foc when the wire broke, strangely quite fragile for everyday use (I think mine were E2's so came out years ago).

Beyerdynamic - my current set of in-ear phones, had them a long time and quite an early type when they mainly only made over-ear phones, not sure of the quality of the newer ones.

AKG K702- over-ear phones, old type not made any more but were raved about when I bought them new, very fragile and the headband adjuster broke on mine.

GermanMaestro - now these are the real deal! Made in Germany, great sound and virtually indestructible although a bit utilitarian.

Portable headphones -what do you use? - R.P.
I hate "buds" they really don't work for me. Bought myself a pair of Sony MDR-ZX600 over ear headphones quite a few years ago. They were on offer at £25.00 and have proved robust with a very good sound. Also have a pair of old Sennheiser foldable PXC-250 - these are good and I use them for travel and are easily packed on the bike.
Latest Forum Posts