Non-motoring > Judge A Man By The Company He Keeps... Miscellaneous
Thread Author: zippy Replies: 6

Judge A Man By The Company He Keeps... - zippy
www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-51538493

Good riddance.

If the PM wasn't disgusted by this mans beliefs and comments then that speaks volumes!
 Judge A Man By The Company He Keeps... - No FM2R
Mmmmm, worries me a bit to be honest.

Some random points;

Aside from anything else he's clearly not that bright since some of the stuff he says is just plain wrong. However, do we think he is the only person in the UK that thinks that way?

Increasingly not, I'd say.

I sort of think that we're better with these views in the open where they are dealt with properly and constantly then we are burying them and allowing them to fester out of sight.

Also, I'm not sure that being offended by someone is enough to demand that they are sacked. We are already seeing the damaging yet potent effects of declaration of offense. Being offensive is not, and should not be, against the law.

Additionally surely a Government needs to understand as much as it can; and that includes people who hold those views. They are, perhaps regrettably, part of the world and need to be dealt with in one way or another.

Suppressing people's views does not ultimately go well. I believe that one of the significant reasons we got Brexit was we had ignored and discounted too many views for too long. Views that though perhaps wrong, or indeed perhaps not, should have been accepted and dealt with.

I know it seems like a stretch, but in human behaviour terms perhaps not so much.

I don't like anybody being sacked by a baying mob.

>>If the PM wasn't disgusted by this mans beliefs and comments then that speaks volumes!

Indeed it does. And those volumes are better spoken than not.

Equally though I could find an argument, some grain of logic or at least something which should be discussed, and admittedly probably dismissed, in more or less everything the t*** said, except perhaps this;

"There are excellent reasons to think the very real racial differences in intelligence are significantly - even mostly - genetic in origin"

To that I'd quote Kenneth K.Kidd in an article he wrote with Robert Sternberg and Elena Grigorenko entitled "Intelligence, Race, and Genetics"

"Where does race fit into the genetic pattern? Actually, it fits nowhere. Race is a socially constructed concept, not a biological one. It derives from people’s desire to classify."

All in all, I think this mob-based persecution is a bad thing.
 Judge A Man By The Company He Keeps... - Terry
Let's start off by saying that I do not agree with all his views, nor all those of the Tory party which I generally support.

But there are real merits in recruiting some people in a team who challenge conventions and put forward alternative views - even if some of those ideas do not "chime" with accepted norms.

The alternative is teams formed of the largely like-minded - they may often find it much easier to reach a consensus, but almost never come up with the radical, innovative or groundbreaking.

Great Britain has a history of success with many of the greatest advances being made by those who challenged conventional wisdom. We have now constructed a politically correct straightjacket which stifles innovation and non-conformity at a time when we need to push the boundaries to succeed in a post Brexit, enviromentally and politically challenging time.
 Judge A Man By The Company He Keeps... - Bromptonaut
Advocacy of Eugenics and an apparent belief in white supremacy are some way beyond challenging conventions.

What specific skills was he supposed to be bringing to the show?

If it could be shown he had some published work or had a set of achievements to his name then his appointment could have been justified with his bloggings from when he was 21 written off as impetuosity of youth.

Instead it looks as if he was one of Cummings weirdos and misfits with little more to him than bring one of Dom's mates. It re-opens the wider question of how Cummings appointment can be justified.
 Judge A Man By The Company He Keeps... - Bromptonaut
Kwasi Kwarteng says the No 10 hiring process 'needs looking at':

www.theguardian.com/politics/2020/feb/18/andrew-sabisky-no-10-hiring-process-needs-looking-at-minister-kwasi-kwarteng
 Judge A Man By The Company He Keeps... - BiggerBadderDave
When a white bloke announces that black dudes aren't as bright as white dudes.

Fantastic paradox.
 Judge A Man By The Company He Keeps... - Rudedog
This guy was (?is) a so called 'superforecaster', what a total knob.. I wouldn't trust him to give me the weather let alone potentially influence how the country is run!

What's with the shaved head?

I'm genuinely worried that these people are around in our government, plus all of the tories when interviewed who steadfastly refused to say anything against him or the person who brought him in.

Latest Forum Posts