Non-motoring > Mortgage advisers Miscellaneous
Thread Author: Bobby Replies: 3

Mortgage advisers - Bobby
Daughter is now in the market for mortgage and buying her first house with her partner.
It is 30 years since I used a mortgage adviser.

The one she has been referred to , and whom a few friends have used and sing their praises, charges a flat fee for doing the fact find, search and arrangement of mortgage. Back in my day, this was a free service as they received their income through commission from the lenders.

Think the fee is around £400 ish.

Is this normal now for fees to be charges? I know things have changed hugely since my days in the Financial Services back in the days of SERPS and MIRAS!! :)
 Mortgage advisers - RichardW
If they're both salaried and have a deposit, I can't see a mortgage adviser is going to do much a few hours on the 'net won't....
 Mortgage advisers - Dulwich Estate II
" I can't see a mortgage adviser is going to do much a few hours on the 'net won't.... "

Not so sure.

A relative did his research thoroughly on the net to get the 'best mortgage deal' and I urged him to ignore the recommendation of an estate agent to use his own in house broker. Well, eventually he did get in touch with the broker who got him a far better deal than he could find himself.

Apparently some brokers can get preferential deals with building societes / banks.

His best deal mortgage ended up with Halifax.
 Mortgage advisers - Lygonos
Have always done it myself, but have had decent deposits which makes it easy to get the best deals with Loan-to-value under 60%.

My current mortgage is so cheap it's not worth paying off early or looking for a better deal: Base rate + 0.3% since around 2008 - the past 10 years base rate has been 0.25-0.75% and it looks unlikely to rise in the short-mid term.

Good old Scottish Widows
Latest Forum Posts