Non-motoring > e***** Custards Miscellaneous
Thread Author: zippy Replies: 9

e***** Custards - zippy
(Customers that are b******s)

16:49 today - Friday I receive a 17mb zip file with 127 files in no order, just named 1,2,3 etc. and a brief note to say this is the information that I have been Chase since last Monday! Btw, can they please have an answer by Monday morning!

WTF!

They can have an answer but it won’t be the one they’re hoping for!

I need a beer!
 e***** Custards - martin aston
What's the problem? That's three days;-).

Seriously though that's another reason for my enjoying my retirement. No more stupid deadlines or being polite to idiots.

Now back to The Chase and Werther's Originals.......
 e***** Custards - zippy
>> Seriously though that's another reason for my enjoying my retirement. No more stupid deadlines or
>> being polite to idiots.

Mentioned the "R" word to Mrs Z in a bit of a huff half an hour ago and she said go for it, we'll downsize. I've got nearly over 15 years to go, so not sure I can stretch it that far.

BTW, apologies for the typo in the opening post, I was posting this via my iPhone and the screen is a little too small for me.
Last edited by: VxFan on Fri 28 Feb 20 at 18:38
 e***** Custards - Zero
>> 16:49 today - Friday I receive a 17mb zip file with 127 files in no
>> order, just named 1,2,3 etc. and a brief note to say this is the information
>> that I have been Chase since last Monday! Btw, can they please have an answer
>> by Monday morning!

Its now (checks watch) 17:14. At 17:49 tell them the files are unreadable (incorrectly zipped) and you want them resent at once.
Last edited by: VxFan on Fri 28 Feb 20 at 18:38
 e***** Custards - smokie
"Its now (checks watch) 17:14. At 17:49 tell them the files are unreadable (incorrectly zipped) and you want them resent at once."

Haha I really like this one, go with it!!!
 e***** Custards - No FM2R
Consulting trick No. 537

Using text editor remove first line of file. Save.

Send it back to source complaining that it won't open.

Consulting trick No 537a

When a file has been promised to customer, edit, remove be first line, send to customer at the end of the day.

Apologise and send correct file the next morning.
 e***** Custards - The Melting Snowman
Tell them to F.O.
Weekend is for relaxation, not work.
 e***** Custards - No FM2R
Depends on the quid pro quo, not that saying FO is *ever* a good idea.

Not being available and flexible would go very badly in my kind of job. And would lose me a s***load of flexibility during the week.
 e***** Custards - Lemma
At one time I was the boss of the UK arm of an American multinational. I would regularly get Friday afternoon requests, morning back in New Jersey, for extensive evaluations of the latest thinking of some bright spark. Usually a 26 year old MBA wanting to make a name for himself and who had never travelled more than 35 miles from his place of birth let alone to the UK or Europe. As one asked me one time “why do you have separate sales organisations for Northern and Southern Ireland?”. I had to explain why our sales manager in Belfast had an umbrella and bowler hat, and why this was significant.

One memorable request was for a ten year forecast for a company in a related area that was being evaluated for acquisition. How many people would we need, office space required, warehousing etc and of course sales. The sales line always had to show a year on year increase to justify the acquisition or proposal.

That was in addition to the mid week, late night phone calls when of course it was afternoon or early evening there. Largely an exercise in willy waving as I quickly learnt most of this was work creation for political purposes. Having said that, on one occasion they did actually buy a company and dig out the spreadsheets we had dreamt up in the half hour before going home. We were able to point out the large and dramatic changes that had taken place in the meantime.

An awful company to work for, highly paid but very stressful. We in turn were acquired and for the first andy time I was made redundant. I was delighted to drive home clutching their cheque having been liberated.
 e***** Custards - helicopter
The trick to not getting Friday calls is to work for an Arab company...
Trouble is the calls come in on early Sundays instead. The unlimited money means that they expect your immediate response.

You just have to be flexible...and as Mark said, you never tell a customer to FO, even when you get a call on Boxing day morning at home as I was about to leave on holiday asking me to sort out a problem. I had to gently explain the fact that the reason why they could not contact anyone at work was called Christmas.
Latest Forum Posts