Non-motoring > Huge Wine Box Miscellaneous
Thread Author: zippy Replies: 20

Huge Wine Box - zippy
Saw a humongous wine box today...

A 20ft x 8ft x 8.5ft ISO container filled with one huge bag of wine.

I didn't realise that wine tends not to be shipped around the world in bottles. They're fragile and take up too much space.

It tends to be shipped in these containers and is bottled locally.

So much for being snobby about wine in a box!?
 Huge Wine Box - henry k
premiumwinebroker.com/brokers-blog/2016/7/25/difference-between-iso-tank-and-flexitank
 Huge Wine Box - zippy
>> premiumwinebroker.com/brokers-blog/2016/7/25/difference-between-iso-tank-and-flexitank
>>

There is a similar one down the page. They call it Flexitank and was inside the standard shipping container.

Good stuff, gets decanted in to bottles on demand and retails for £8 or £9 a bottle.
Last edited by: zippy on Tue 3 Mar 20 at 21:55
 Huge Wine Box - legacylad
Most I’ve paid in the past 6 weeks in Spain in €2.29 bottle.
We’re visiting another local Bodega tomorrow with empty bottles and expect to pay €1.50 tops per 75cl for the good stuff.
I’ve got the short straw for driving. Doesn’t bother me as I Prefer beer then gin after a day out.
 Huge Wine Box - CGNorwich
The local Malvasia white wine in Lanzarote is around EUR 9 a bottle. Rather good though and when you see the amazing vineyards hear you can understand why it costs so much to produce Plenty of cheap plonk available but a decent wine is around EUR 3 cheaper than in the UK, basically tax and duty so around EUR 6 for a reasonable Rioja.
 Huge Wine Box - Duncan
>> Most I’ve paid in the past 6 weeks in Spain in €2.29 bottle.
>> We’re visiting another local Bodega tomorrow with empty bottles and expect to pay €1.50 tops
>> per 75cl for the good stuff.

I did a rugby tour in Sicily in the 80s? We were buying wine from vats about twenty feet tall. I think we paid about 20p a bottle. The empty bottles were costing us more than the wine. The fillings in my teeth have never been so clean!
 Huge Wine Box - zippy
>>Most I’ve paid in the past 6 weeks in Spain in €2.29 bottle.

€100 in Dublin. Nice it was too.
 Huge Wine Box - Zero

>> I’ve got the short straw for driving. Doesn’t bother me as I Prefer beer then
>> gin after a day out.

If you are on a Cerveza day stick with the San Miquel, avoid the Corona.
 Huge Wine Box - sooty123
A lot of it is weight as well, glass bottles are heavy. I think the Germans move a lot of their wine in ISOs on canal barges.

Most cheaper wine is transported this way and either put into boxes for sale or put into a bottle. Most other wine still goes in a bottle to wherever it is sold.
 Huge Wine Box - helicopter
Currently in Tenerife drinking a nice white Rioja at 3 euros a bottle.
 Huge Wine Box - Bromptonaut
The Australian Yellow Tail branded wines, widely sold in UK supermarkets, are bulk imported and bottled in the EU.
 Huge Wine Box - CGNorwich
Some terrific local wines on Tenerife. Try the white Malvasia or the uniquely Canaries Listan Negro Red grape. You won’t find it outside the Islands.
 Huge Wine Box - sooty123
>> Currently in Tenerife drinking a nice white Rioja at 3 euros a bottle.
>>

Well I guess it's 5 o'clock somewhere in the world.
 Huge Wine Box - Zero
Many Years ago, in the late 70's I was visiting a largish factory more or less in the centre of Kingston upon Thames. A large silver unmarked tanker pulled into the yard, and proceeded to discharge the contents into a previously covered drain in the centre of the yard.

The tanker contained grape Juice, the factory at the time was the largest winery in Europe. Its name was Vine Products, and it best known output was VP sherry.

archive.commercialmotor.com/article/7th-february-1981/38/vp-delivers-the-good-in-vintage-style
 Huge Wine Box - henry k
> I was visiting a largish factory more or less in the centre of Kingston upon Thames.
The site was too valuable for a factory so it is now housing.
The reminder of it is in the new road called Winery Lane and nearby Winery Close.
 Huge Wine Box - Zero
>> > I was visiting a largish factory more or less in the centre of Kingston
>> upon Thames.
>> The site was too valuable for a factory so it is now housing.
>> The reminder of it is in the new road called Winery Lane and nearby Winery
>> Close.

Closed around 89 I think.
 Huge Wine Box - Zero
Thought I'd share this with you, in hunting around for stuff about Vine Products I came across this, concerning the Meux Horseshoe Brewery in London

1814 Major Accident

The Horse Shoe Brewery featured a giant porter vat measuring 22 feet high and containing 3,555* barrels. In October 1814 the vat burst when the securing hoops failed. The contents rushed out of the vat into the streets and surrounding buildings. At the time the brewery was surrounded by small housing owned by the poorer classes of London; some of the buildings could not withstand the force of the flowing beer and collapsed. Eight people are known to have died either from falling debris, drowning, poisoning by the porter fumes, or from inebriation.

The company found it difficult to cope with the financial implications of the disaster, with a significant loss of sales made worse because they had already paid duty on the beer. They made a successful application to parliament reclaiming the duty which allowed them to continue trading.

*A Barrel is traditionally 36 gallons so thats approx 128,000 gallons of beer.

Last edited by: Zero on Wed 4 Mar 20 at 10:51
 Huge Wine Box - Falkirk Bairn
128,000 gallons of beer

A petrol tanker is around 6,000 gallons IIRC - so 20+ tanker loads - loads of beer!
 Huge Wine Box - R.P.
It came to a head though
 Huge Wine Box - Zero
>> It came to a head though

certainly wasn't small beer
 Huge Wine Box - Duncan
>> Eight people are known to have died either from falling debris, drowning, poisoning by the
>> porter fumes, or from inebriation.

Can I have just one guess at the most likely cause?
Last edited by: Duncan on Wed 4 Mar 20 at 12:29
Latest Forum Posts