Non-motoring > Coronavirus - Volume 3   [Read only]
Thread Author: VxFan Replies: 114

Coronavirus - Volume 3 - VxFan

***** This thread is now closed, please CLICK HERE to go to Volume 4 *****

=============================================================

Discussion continues

Last edited by: VxFan on Wed 11 Mar 20 at 09:15

Corona Virus - Duncan
I am surprised that no one has suggested wearing gloves when out and about. It's still winter, it's quite cold - wear gloves.

Amazon has got thousands of them

www.amazon.co.uk/Mens-Gloves-Mittens/b?ie=UTF8&node=1730942031
Last edited by: Duncan on Thu 5 Mar 20 at 06:34

Corona Virus - CGNorwich
No point. The idea of washing your hands is to prevent transfer of the virus from your hands to your nose mouth and eyes. Unless you change your gloves for a clean pair every hour or two you are going to be wiping your face with a virus laden glove.

Corona Virus - Duncan
I think you are less likely to touch your face if you are wearing gloves. The gloves would be handy for opening doors and shaking hands with royalty. That sort of thing.

May I also refer you to my advice to use a piece of kitchen paper, or similar, to open doors etc.

Corona Virus - VxFan
>> May I also refer you to my advice to use a piece of kitchen paper, or similar, to open doors etc.

I find using the handle works much better ;)
 Corona Virus - tyrednemotional
>>
>> May I also refer you to my advice to use a piece of kitchen paper, or similar, to open doors etc.
>>

....so it's you that's got all the toilet rolls.........

Corona Virus - Zero
"Where are we going Piglet?" asked Pooh.

"We need to get supplies," said Piglet. "For the Coronavirus"

"Ahh," said Pooh, nodding in understanding. "Things like bread, milk, cough mixture, tissues and cat litter even though we don't have a cat?"

Piglet did a little laugh, and a sort of leap and bit of a cough. "No," said Piglet. "No, those aren't the sort of supplies we need at all! What we need is ICE"

"Ice"? said Poo "to bring down our temperature"?

"No" Said Piglet, "For the Gin, we need Gin, Tonics, A crate of Beer, Lots of frozen stuffed crust pizzas, microwave curries, tins of chilli, rolls and hot dogs, so that when we get quarantined we won't mind it even slightly. THOSE are supplies."

All of a sudden, Pooh thought that the idea of coronavirus didn't seem quite so bad, and actually, getting quarantined with Piglet and their supplies really didn't sound such a terrible thing after all. "Oh Piglet," said Pooh. "I really do think you are a very wise animal."

Corona Virus - CGNorwich
I would think piglet’s days would be numbered. Nothing like a pork roast..

Corona Virus - Ambo
We are told to wear gloves and then wash them. Would that be Marigolds?

Corona Virus - BiggerBadderDave
"The gloves would be handy for opening doors"

And buttocks. Ain't that right, Zero?

Corona Virus - Zero
You're such a so fist icated fella BBD

Corona Virus - No FM2R
I've always thought that BBD has a lot of couth.

Corona Virus - henry k
Back from my weekly Waitrose visit.( I lead a sheltered life.)
Oh dear no loo rolls to be seen and the staff said the panic has been going for several days.
Fortunately I got the very last kitchen rolls which I really really needed.
I saw one elderly lady in her mask. Check out lass said the lady has not got her gloves on today.
I did get my free newspapers with their supplements so could always revert to recycling them at home. I have not seen the eco folks recommending this old practice .

Nothing will stop this panic now !

Now wait for a fire due to a loft full of loo rolls. :-(

Corona Virus - Zero
All you need to survive here.

deals.banggood.com/deals/edm/mail_promo200305.html

Corona Virus - henry k
>> All you need to survive here.
>>
>> deals.banggood.com/deals/edm/mail_promo200305.html
>>
A great list but what is the priority of all those must have items?

As part of a trial I have been issued with an expensive Withings thermometer that sends readings to a monitoring centre so that is one item ticked off.

Just looked at page 2 of the link
I think this is a must
Anti-saliva Droplet Hat Full Face Mask Travel Windshield Protective Cap Isolation Cap
www.banggood.com/2020-Men-Anti-saliva-Droplet-Hat-Full-Face-Mask-Travel-Windshield-Protective-Cap-Isolation-Cap-p-1642702.html?cur_warehouse=CN

Corona Virus - Zero

>> Oh dear no loo rolls to be seen and the staff said the panic has
>> been going for several days.

Why loo rolls? you dont get the sheets with Corona virus?

Corona Virus - Zero
Consumer psychology experts say the behaviour is "obviously irrational", and a clear example of herd mentality whipped up by social media and news coverage.

The pictures of bare aisles haven't helped.

"What you've got to remember is that when 50 packs of toilet paper rolls disappear off shelves, you really notice it because they take up so much room," says Prof Debra Grace from Griffith University.

"It's much more noticeable than say 50 cans of baked beans or hand sanitiser disappearing."

FOMO syndrome - or Fear Of Missing Out - is in full force here says Associate Professor Nitika Garg from the University of New South Wales.

"They think if this person is buying it, if my neighbour is buying there's got to be a reason and I need to get in too," she told the BBC.

Corona Virus stockpiling - sooty123
I heard on the radio a delivery driver saying he dropped off £600 worth of food and the woman had admitted getting another £500 sworth of food delivered just an hour earlier.
I wonder if some people think they are readying themselves for a siege? And where an earth do you put that much food?

Corona Virus stockpiling - legacylad
We’ve just bought 3 x 1.5 litre bottles of gin, 8 litres of Schweppes and 5 x 12can slabs of Mahou.
Siege mentality has finally arrived on the Costa Blanca

Corona Virus stockpiling - Zero
>> We’ve just bought 3 x 1.5 litre bottles of gin, 8 litres of Schweppes and
>> 5 x 12can slabs of Mahou.
>> Siege mentality has finally arrived on the Costa Blanca

you better not tell me it was Larios

Corona Virus - Dog
Snot rolls.

Corona Virus - VxFan
>> Now wait for a fire due to a loft full of loo rolls. :-(

Hope not, as that's where we've got a load. Always buy them when they're on offer, so don't have to pay the full price when they go back up. Bums favourite brand is Velvet.

Was in Tesco last Sunday, and a trolley load of reductions got wheeled out into the isle. Talk about being in the right place at the right time. 2 Packs of 24 Velvet rolls were reduced from £8 to £1.75 because the plastic wrapper had a small tear in it. Had both packs. Bargain!!
Then whilst rummaging through what else was reduced, I spied some cheeky git trying to take them out of my shopping trolley. I soon sent him packing with a flea in his ear.

Corona Virus - Zero
A loft full and you go and buy 48 effin bog rolls at a time? You have a serious screw loose, lord knows how far up the spectrum you are.

Corona Virus - sooty123
>> A loft full and you go and buy 48 effin bog rolls at a time?
>> You have a serious screw loose, lord knows how far up the spectrum you are.
>>

There was another chap who delivers for a supermarket said people are just ordering bog roll and nothing else, 20/30 quid at a time.

Corona Virus - VxFan
>> You have a serious screw loose,

Yeah, I must have, to spend £3.50 now to save £16 later on. How cuckoo is that, especially when I have the space to store them? You'd be bonkers to turn down an offer like that.

As my old nan used to say, "they don't eat or drink nothing".

I could even put them on eBay and make a HUGE profit.

Corona Virus - Zero
You don't get it do you, don't ever run a shop. And that's before I get onto being anti social

Corona Virus - VxFan
>> And that's before I get onto being anti social

You're the one who's barking mad, getting all upset and out of your pram over me buying 2 packs of reduced price bog rolls.

Just how exactly is this affecting you? Are you jealous I got there before you?

Do you want some to wipe your eyes?

...if you've cleared the supermarket shelves, he'd best head for B&Q.

Idled 30 minutes at the local branch at lunchtime, waiting for SWMBO.

Pride of place in their entrance was given over to a pallet of Andrex (no word of a lie!).

Corona Virus - Zero
>> >> And that's before I get onto being anti social
>>
>> You're the one who's barking mad, getting all upset and out of your pram over
>> me buying 2 packs of reduced price bog rolls.
>>
>> Just how exactly is this affecting you? Are you jealous I got there before you?
>>
>> Do you want some to wipe your eyes?

No but I hope the poor b***** that cant get any toilet rolls s***s on your windscreen and wipes his bum on your doorhandles.
Last edited by: Zero on Fri 6 Mar 20 at 15:09

Corona Virus - Zero
Talking of needing something to wipe your eyes, this will make you weep Dave

www.bbc.co.uk/news/av/world-australia-51747892/coronavirus-in-australia-lorryload-of-toilet-paper-catches-fire

...he's particularly annoyed, as he'd noticed that they were 1¢ a roll off, and that whole consignment had been bought by him......

Corona Virus - VxFan
>> No but I hope the poor b***** that cant get any toilet rolls s***s on your windscreen and wipes his bum on your doorhandles.

You tool. I didn't deprive anyone of bog rolls, other than another bargain hunter who wasn't as quick as I was. They had 2 pallets full by the tills. as well as loads more down the tissue and bog roll isle. The 2 damaged packs probably only made up 1% of their total stock.

The only problem I had was having to move the 6 boxes of Persil washing powder, and 5 bottles of Lenor to make room for them in the loft.

>> Talking of needing something to wipe your eyes, this will make you weep Dave

Another one?

www.car4play.com/forum/post/index.htm?t=27666&m=602818&v=e

My those Aussies are careless. No wonder they had all those forest fires.
Last edited by: VxFan on Fri 6 Mar 20 at 18:11

Corona Virus - Dog
>>my old nan used to say, "they don't eat or drink nothing".

The woman (Oxford edumacated) who my friend Laurie the leather craftsman used to live wiv up on Bodmin Moor used to say "there's no taste in nuffink".

Corona Virus - Clk Sec
>>I spied some cheeky git trying to
take them out of my shopping trolley. I soon sent him packing with a flea
in his ear.

A few days ago in Sainsbury's, I spotted a woman having a really good go at someone who was putting vertically all of the remaining toilet rolls in her trolly, leaving little room for anything else. The offender did at least have the decency to look embarrassed.

Corona Virus - Zero
Hoarders should be jailed.

>> Hoarders should be jailed.
>>

....with no access to toilet paper.....

Corona Virus - CGNorwich
>> Hoarders should be jailed.
>>
Or at least confined to their house for 14 days

Corona Virus - VxFan
>> I spotted a woman having a really good go at someone who was putting vertically all of
>> the remaining toilet rolls in her trolly,

Probably fitted better than horizontally
Last edited by: VxFan on Fri 6 Mar 20 at 12:44

Corona Virus - henry k
>> >> Now wait for a fire due to a loft full of loo rolls. :-(
>>
>> Hope not, as that's where we've got a load.
Did I hear a whisper that solar panel and loft loo rolls are incompatible :-)
Maybe dangle them on the north side ?

Corona Virus - VxFan
>> Did I hear a whisper that solar panel and loft loo rolls are incompatible :-)
>> Maybe dangle them on the north side ?

You're confusing me with another moderator.

Corona Virus - henry k
>> >> Did I hear a whisper that solar panel and loft loo rolls are incompatible
>> :-)
>> >> Maybe dangle them on the north side ?
>>
>> You're confusing me with another moderator.
>>
Thanks. I can relax now.

Corona Virus - smokie
"another moderator"

That's me. My stash of loo rolls is in the garage. :-)

No shortages of anything here in Portugal at the moment though - even sun and warmth are available freely.

I'm home in 4 weeks from today, it'd be nice if you lot could sort out this virus before I'm back.

I've told SWMBO (who reads Mail Online, but isn;t always taken in by it) we are going to have a day soon (could be tomorrow, who knows?) when any time you mention the virus, or click on a link to read about it, that's a Euro in the swear box. I could be on for a free beer or three I reckon :-)

Corona Virus - sooty123
> Hope not, as that's where we've got a load. Always buy them when they're on
>> offer, so don't have to pay the full price when they go back up. Bums
>> favourite brand is Velvet.
>>

As it's topical and I'm mildly curious, how many bog rolls do you have?
Last edited by: sooty123 on Fri 6 Mar 20 at 14:52

Corona Virus - Runfer D'Hills
Bog roll thing won't be a problem. Just might have to get used to having a dump in the shower...;-)))

Corona Virus - smokie
Not so sure about doing the full performance in the shower but it could at least save some paperwork...

Corona Virus - Runfer D'Hills
Be alright if you wash your feet after...

Corona Virus - VxFan
>> As it's topical and I'm mildly curious, how many bog rolls do you have?

Well, there's the 2 packs of 24, and a few more packs we've bought when they've been on offer. I dunno, about 100 at a guess. Haven't had to pay full price for them for ages now.

Then again, I don't shopping that often, and given we're in a remote village where the nearest decent and well stocked supermarket is 10 miles away, it really does pay to bulk buy non perishable or long "use by date" items.

Corona Virus - sooty123
> Well, there's the 2 packs of 24, and a few more packs we've bought when
>> they've been on offer. I dunno, about 100 at a guess. Haven't had to pay> full price for them for ages now.
>>
>> Then again, I don't shopping that often, and given we're in a remote village where
>> the nearest decent and well stocked supermarket is 10 miles away, it really does pay
>> to bulk buy non perishable or long "use by date" items.
>>

Wow, that's a lot, I'm not sure I'd stock that many. I wouldn't say 10 miles is particularly far either, but each to their own.

Corona Virus - Zero

>> Wow, that's a lot, I'm not sure I'd stock that many. I wouldn't say 10
>> miles is particularly far either, but each to their own.

He only has 5 miles of toilet paper.
 Corona Virus - VxFan
>> He only has 5 miles of toilet paper.

But now I've got 500 more.

Da da da (da da da)
Da da da (da da da)

Da da da dun diddle un diddle un diddle uh da

(apologies to The Proclaimers)

Corona Virus - VxFan
>> Wow, that's a lot,

Not really when you consider prior to last Sunday there were 48 less rolls than that. And it was pure luck I happened to be in the right place at the right time to snap up those 48 rolls at a ridiculously low price.

Corona Virus - sooty123
>> >> Wow, that's a lot,
>>
>> Not really when you consider prior to last Sunday there were 48 less rolls than
>> that. And it was pure luck I happened to be in the right place at
>> the right time to snap up those 48 rolls at a ridiculously low price.
>>

Not really a lot? 100 is probably a years supply or certainly months and months. Baring some medical condition. If it's not a lot, what would you consider a lot?
Last edited by: sooty123 on Fri 6 Mar 20 at 19:41

>>
>> Not really a lot? 100 is probably a years supply or certainly months and months.
>>

...at 200 sheets per roll, and the regulation 4 sheets per visit (one up, one down, a polish and a shine), even at twice a day that's getting on 7 years supply for one person.

100 rolls is Noravirus territory, not Coronavirus.

(I know, but there's precious little on TV nowadays!)

Corona Virus - henry k
>> I did get my free newspapers with their supplements so could always revert to recycling
>> them at home. I have not seen the eco folks recommending this old practice .
>>
Meanwhile down under :-)
www.bbc.co.uk/news/av/world-australia-51747892/coronavirus-in-australia-lorryload-of-toilet-paper-catches-fire
The ever practical Aussie - 40 secs in.
Did they read my earlier posting ?

Coronavirus - Volume 2 - No FM2R
www.bbc.com/sport/football/51760339

Oh look. t***s.

Coronavirus - Volume 2 - Robin O'Reliant
Not much point when most of them spend the match gobbing all over the place. Pro cycling is even worse because of the fabled "Snot rockets" as riders clear their tubes at 30mph plus.

Coronavirus - Volume 2 - Ambo
Poole's giant Asda store hand wash/spirit gel shelves completely bare this morning but not to worry: about 5000 different products available in this category from Amazon.

Coronavirus - Volume 2 - CGNorwich
It’s sort of pleasing that a virus has finally gone viral.

Coronavirus - Volume 2 - Robin O'Reliant
I've dug out an old laptop which runs on Linux, so I should be ok.

Coronavirus - Volume 2 - Fullchat
News item on LBC. The scammers are having a field day. Someone bought £15,000 worth of face masks which have never arrived.
Exploitation of someone who maybe was also about to indulge in some exploitation. Shame!

Coronavirus - Volume 2 - Zero
Well lets hope the bottom falls out of the bog roll market
Last edited by: Zero on Fri 6 Mar 20 at 17:48

Coronavirus - Volume 2 - tyrednemotional
...and the hoarders get wiped out....

Coronavirus - Volume 2 - Lygonos
Not wasting money on bumwipe.

Will squeeze a link into a little green baggie and hang it on a hedge/fence like moron dogwalkers do.

Coronavirus - Volume 2 - Zero
>> Not wasting money on bumwipe.
>>
>> Will squeeze a link into a little green baggie and hang it on a hedge/fence
>> like moron dogwalkers do.

Only if you squat and crap on the pavement

Coronavirus - Volume 2 - smokie
I asked a mate who is a dog owner why people do this.

In an obviously rehearsed response he said that it's when the animal has done its biz at the start of a circular walk and they don't want to walk round with it, so they hang it on a tree to collect on the way back.

Yeah right.

Advice from a real expert. - henry k
Interviewed on LBC @7pm this evening

www.bics.org.uk/coronavirus-dr-andrew-kemp-jp-phd-reports/

( cold water is fine, warm water is nicer to use)

Gels ? see the link.

What is going on in Italy? - zippy
www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-middle-east-51787238

A nephew of mine, a junior quack in Lyon, France has been sent a Breaking Bad style respirator and gloves by the local authorities. He shares a small surgery with 3 other doctors and is the youngest there. I think the average age of his patients is in the 60's (so he complains).
Last edited by: zippy on Sun 8 Mar 20 at 00:41

What is going on in Italy? - sooty123
Looks like in Italy the government is concerned, restricting the movement of that many people is no simple matter.

What is going on in Italy? - Zero
>> Looks like in Italy the government is concerned, restricting the movement of that many people
>> is no simple matter.

It would be impossible here. There is no way the authorities could enforce it, its symbolic.

What is going on in Italy? - smokie
It really oughtn't need the authorities to enforce it, just a bit of social awareness, respect and care for oneself and one's fellow humans and a bit less of the "up yours, I'll do what I want, when and where I want" attitude.

But I realise that's too much to expect these days.

What is going on in Italy? - Manatee
I've noticed locally that the people who don't believe in anthropogenic climate change and those poo-pooing covid-19 precautions are mostly the same ones.

What is going on in Italy? - maltrap
I see the Bahrain Grand Prix is being held "behind closed doors"

What is going on in Italy? - devonite
I wonder how much the c-19 cases will rise after all this weekends footie fixtures, there'll be at least one mass gathering in almost every town and city across England, be a good indicator if mass gathering banning is actually req.
 What is going on in Italy? - legacylad
This afternoons BBQ chez (rented) LL is being held behind closed gates. Admission only if bearing dead flesh, gin, vino y cerveza. Anyone trying to enter wearing gloves, face mask or carrying loo roll will be chucked in the ice cold pool
My driver has just returned from Pepe La Sal ( Sunday open 10-14:00) with 8x6 slabs of green Mahou
He didn’t look for loo rolls...the Spanish were buying lots of meat at the deli counter and preparing their own BBQs. You can’t grill loo roll on the barbi.
Life goes on.
Last edited by: legacylad on Sun 8 Mar 20 at 12:14

There is a pretty good chance most of the population is carrying it, and you wont know till you are tested for it.

Dont forget only those who present with symptoms get tested. And then only people who feel really crap are going to see a doctor.
Last edited by: Zero on Sun 8 Mar 20 at 12:17
 What is going on in Italy? - martin aston
If (big if) most us are going to get infected it may be better to get it early. Unless you are in a high risk group, mix freely in order to get it, and you then get treated before the NHS is overwhelmed.

I am not being entirely serious but neither is it totally irrational. Unless everyone does it.

What is going on in Italy? - Dog
Somebuddy on the wireless the other day suggested we could have Corona parties, like we did when I was a young goat with measles mumps etc.

I'm selling me owse at the moment and swore I wouldn't be shaking hands with anyone - that didn't last long as I had 4 viewers here yesterday (cough/wheeze)

What is going on in Italy? - Crankcase

>> I'm selling me owse at the moment

Is this to pay for Genesis tickets? Nothing under £375 each yesterday that I could find.

Where are you off to?

>>Is this to pay for Genesis tickets? Nothing under £375 each yesterday that I could find

Not a fan since Gabriel left.

>>Where are you off to?

Dunno, looked at Herefordshire / Spain / Tenerife (very expensive!) … Cornwall :)

Had 6 viewings last week - tis a sellers market!

Yeah it was dead cert you would vote to dump the UK out of Europe then consider e***** off to Spain..
 What is going on in Italy? - No FM2R
I hope he's refused a visa.

What is going on in Italy? - Fenlander
>>>Is this to pay for Genesis tickets? Nothing under £375 each yesterday that I could find.

>>>Not a fan since Gabriel left.

Me neither really... I'd happily pay £50 to see them at the Cambridge Junction but not travel and pay near on £400.

If you want to support some lesser rock gods at sensible money £30 a ticket will get you to see Focus who are gigging all over this year... the East very well represented (they love the low lands) with P.boro, Cambridge, Ely, Norwich & Colchester concerts.

focustheband.co.uk/live-dates

Still sounding good too...

www.youtube.com/watch?v=jCfMfVLKtrM

Thijs van Leer deals with his reduced yodel range (at 72yrs) in a very good humoured way. Unsurprisingly two out of four are new members.

Last edited by: Fenlander on Mon 9 Mar 20 at 12:07

>>Still sounding good too...

One of faves is Focus, I often listen to Hocus Pokus via YouTube with the volume turned up LOUD!.

I used to frequent The Beaverwood Club quite often in a previous life (hic!)

What is going on in Italy? - Fenlander
Yep one of those sounds that is cemented into the brain from youth... as they are rotating about our location with bargain price gigs booked to see them twice. Really enjoy smaller gigs too... 200-750 people ideal.... usually artists come out to chat after at such venues.
Last edited by: Fenlander on Mon 9 Mar 20 at 13:52

I've been listening to a lot of Pineapple Thief and Porcupine Tree on YT of late, plus some what they call 'postrock' such as:

www.youtube.com/watch?v=wy4IsC5eb7o

Not everyone's cup of tea mind :o)

>>If (big if) most us are going to get infected it may be better to get it early.

There is a flaw in this plan; you are assuming that you can*only* get it once. That is not necessarily the case. I understand that you are less likely to catch it again in the short termbut, like flu, it will be back.

Potentially this one is here to stay.

As a world we need to stop going out when we are ill,. stop coughing and sneezing on each other, and go back to the standards of hygiene hammered into us (me, anyway) when we were little.

What is going on in Italy? - Lygonos
>>I've noticed locally that the people who don't believe in anthropogenic climate change and those poo-pooing covid-19 precautions are mostly the same ones.

Fortunately they're also at most risk of dying from it.

However, I suspect more will die because of the impending economic disaster than from the virus itself.

What is going on in Italy? - smokie
I realise the economic disaster is bigger than just me, but I moved my pension funds into cash last Monday or Tuesday, which has already "saved" me a reasonable amount ( - conversely it had already "lost" a reasonable amount) - I just need to time it right to go back into funds.

I am considering (half seriously) staying here in the Algarve through to the autumn, by which time some sort of order and maybe a hint of a vaccine may be in sight. Especially as they have just announced the 2nd infection in/near my hometown. There is no sign of any panic down here nor any infection as far as I know.

SWMBO is reluctant though, and to ensure the travel insurance remained valid we'd need to travel back every 40 something days, and IMO air travel may be probably one of the highest risks I could take. But then - maybe the insurance isn't so important. I have an EHIC.
Last edited by: smokie on Sun 8 Mar 20 at 19:16

What is going on in Italy? - legacylad
My travel insurance covers me for 60 days away from home. I’m in Spain for 10 weeks, but fly home with my old mum after two weeks, returning 36 hours later to rejoin friends in our rented place.
The old girl doesn’t bother with insurance...too complicated, and expensive, with previous and current ailments. If she croaks here I’ll get her cremated and bring her home in my hand baggage for a suitable service in the U.K.

In the right conditions the virus can apparently survive up to 9 days on a surface though apparently 72 hours gets most of it.

Unless it's 30 degrees plus. Like it is here. Then it doesn't survive.

The UK has turned into a country of scared and panicky glass-half-empty people. Everything from Foreigners to Viruses and in between.

So if it really matters to you and you're free to do so, stay where you are.

What is going on in Italy? - Robin O'Reliant
Pembrokeshire has it's first two cases, a couple who have just returned from northern Italy. apparently they have been self isolating since their return, but that's what I would say whether I had or not. You wouldn't want the pitchfork mob turning up on you doorstep.

Maybe I'm just a wuss. But anything flu like has me in bed with a bowl of chicken soup and a lemsip with absolutely no intention to go anywhere.

If I'm ill then isolation is what I seek.

What is going on in Italy? - Fullchat
Not forgetting the sympathy :)

8teen in Devon, 2nd only to lunden :(

What is going on in Italy? - Kevin
>The UK has turned into a country of scared and panicky glass-half-empty people.

J P Morgan are moving some staff to offices in Basingstoke from tomorrow because of the virus. Presumedly they think that no self-respecting virus would want to be seen here.

What is going on in Italy? - R.P.
If I'm ill then isolation is what I seek.

What Mark says......

What is going on in Italy? - CGNorwich
I think most people do but if you are really ill you need someone to look after you and ensure that you get help if your situation worsens. Spare a thought for those living by themselves, especially the elderly. It must be a very worrying and stressful time for them.

>> J P Morgan are moving some staff to offices in Basingstoke from tomorrow because of
>> the virus. Presumedly they think that no self-respecting virus would want to be seen here.

A lot of firms are now activating and staffing their business continuity sites. Trouble is, all they are doing is spreading the virus to the continuity site earlier than necessary. Doubled the risk in effect.

What is going on in Italy? - Manatee

>> The UK has turned into a country of scared and panicky glass-half-empty people.

If only that was the case with the virus. A bit more fear would be very helpful, if directed towards avoiding contact and improved hygiene rather than buying bog rolls.

Growth in numbers is essentially exponential, and unless the rates of contact and infection can be brought down this will end up with a large proportion of the country infected in a period of weeks.

Today there are 273 known cases in the UK. And it's only flu. Nothing to worry about. That seems to be the standard view in the local FB groups.

But that number is currently increasing by a factor of 10 every 16 days or so. Until a large number of people have it, there's no reason to suppose that rate can be brought down without a reduction in contact rates (through restriction and isolation) or infection rates on contact ( through hygiene etc).

At the current rate we should hit the peak sometime between 2 and 3 months from now - exactly as the Chief Medical Officer has intimated, although I don't think he has mentioned that the number will be in the millions.

The big rider to this is the sensitivity to the growth rate of about 15% per day. SLow it down enough and the peak number of live infections drops massively as more people have recovered.

Worth a look -
www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kas0tIxDvrg&feature=youtu.be&fbclid=IwAR20kZIByefRWUkIAWhOckts_nRpdIZw0cWXPW2q8h7gEQjk-KByQLxqt6E
"If people are sufficiently worried, there's a lot less to worry about, but if no-one is worried, that's when you should worry".

I like that.

Coronavirus - Volume 3 - VxFan
Got a hire car booked Wednesday for work. I wonder what nasties await me from previous drivers of it?

Coronavirus - Volume 3 - Clk Sec
>> Got a hire car booked Wednesday for work. I wonder what nasties await me from previous drivers of it?

Nothing your pressure washer can't sort out...

Coronavirus - Volume 3 - Manatee
I am supposed to go to a meeting in London on Wednesday, I've just decided I will attend via MS Teams (replaces Skype for Businesses) instead of spending 3 hours on trains and tubes.

I've also discovered that I am technically in a vulnerable group as I have a heart problem. The recommendation apparently is that people with CVD should have the 'pneumococcal' vaccination to bat off the bacterial illness that comes after the viral infection in serious cases. Off to the GP's on Thursday.

Coronavirus - Volume 3 - R.P.
The recommendation apparently is that people with CVD should have the 'pneumococcal' vaccination to bat off the bacterial illness that comes after the viral infection in serious cases. Off to the GP's on Thursday.

That was de-bunked by the "doctor" on Jeremy Vine's programme earlier today (around 1pmish)...has no effect on the pneumonia connected to C19

Coronavirus - Volume 3 - No FM2R
www.farrerpark.com/news/press-releases/COVID-19-Advisory/Can-a-Flu-or-Pneumococcal-Vaccine-Help-You-Guard-Against-the-Novel-Coronavirus-0.html

www.newsobserver.com/news/local/article240916181.html

Just HTF one is supposed to know what is true or what is fake is beyond me. I swear I believe that giving fake medical advice should be a capital offence.

Unfortunately, the flu and pneumococcal vaccines are ineffective against COVID-19 as the former only acts against influenza and the latter against the pneumococcal bacteria. Getting the vaccine does not decrease the risk of contracting the coronavirus.

That's more or less is what the resident doctor on the JV programme said

Coronavirus - Volume 3 - Bromptonaut
>> That's more or less is what the resident doctor on the JV programme said

Is Manatee's point about the Covid19 itself or the possibility of an 'opportunistic' bacterial infection while one is weakened in its aftermath?

Dunno.

Coronavirus - Volume 3 - Lygonos
Streptococcus Pneumoniae (The "Pneumococcus") is a common bacterial cause of pneumonia/death.

If you get the 'flu or presumably CoVid-19 it opens the door for this bug to finish you off.

It certainly doesn't stop you getting 'flu, CV, or walking under a bus for that matter.

Anyone with a chronic illness/over 65 should have had the Pneumococcal vaccine once along with one of their annual flu jags (it's typically a one-off unless you have no spleen or have a rather weird immune system).

www.nhs.uk/conditions/vaccinations/pneumococcal-vaccination/

Coronavirus - Volume 3 - Manatee
Thanks Lygonos (and everybody else). Worth asking my GP then. I don't think I've had the pneumococcus job although I have had flu jabs the last 2 years (at 65 & 66).
Last edited by: Manatee on Mon 9 Mar 20 at 16:58

Coronavirus - Volume 3 - BiggerBadderDave
"Anyone with a chronic illness/over 65 should have had..."

Shame about the timing. If we had had the coronavirus in early 2016 we'd probably still be in the EU now.
 Coronavirus - Volume 3 - Haywain
Several years ago, when I was offered the pneumonia jab, I looked into its effectiveness. Apparently, pneumonia is caused by a hotch-potch of bacteria, largely Pneumococci, and the blend of the vaccine may or may not be appropriate in all cases; i.e. it is of limited effectiveness. I thought that I had nothing to lose and went ahead regardless - though a friend who had had the jab went on to catch pneumonia ..... twice.

Pathogenic bacteria and viruses can interact, and take advantage of an immune system that has already been compromised. When my son was being detained by the Indonesian military, he managed to catch dengue fever (mosquito-transmitted virus). Whilst he suffered a short period of flu-like symptoms, his pilot - who was recovering from shingles, nearly died from dengue.

Coronavirus - Volume 3 - Lygonos
Dengue aka Breakbone Fever.

Not one I wish to experience.

Latest Forum Posts