Non-motoring > Anyone know about first edition books? Miscellaneous
Thread Author: bathtub tom Replies: 18

Anyone know about first edition books? - bathtub tom
Having a clear out and came across three hardback books that I think may be first editions and I'm thinking of selling them, rather than sending them to a charity shop.

On the copyright page, they were all published in the same year as the copyright and have the following numbers respectively:
1 3 5 7 9 10 8 6 4 2
2 4 6 8 10 9 7 5 3 1
1 2 (It's not page twelve, page nine follows)
 Anyone know about first edition books? - smokie
Are they "known" books or by known" authors?
 Anyone know about first edition books? - zippy
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Printer%27s_key
 Anyone know about first edition books? - bathtub tom
Thanks Zippy, looks like they are.

Smokie, they're all Terry Pratchett: Unseen academicals, Raising steam and I shall wear midnight. Nothing special, but according to the price tags, there's seventy quid's worth if they were bought at full price and as they seem to be first editions,then I guess full price was paid.
I might be able to realise some cash on them. May as well be me as anyone I give them to.
I've just given away loads of Bernard Cornwell Sharpe, a full set of Lord Of The Ring, now I'm down to Wilbur Smith and twenty-odd Pratchett paperbacks.
 Anyone know about first edition books? - Manatee
ISTR Harry Potter first editions are silly money.

A pal of mine has a large collection of Biggles books, including first editions. Takes all sorts.
 Anyone know about first edition books? - CGNorwich
biblio.co.uk/book/unseen-academicals-pratchett-terry/d/602945325?aid=frg&utm_source=google&utm_medium=product&utm_campaign=feed-details&gclid=EAIaIQobChMIyPCpqbqa6AIVGeDtCh2YqgBwEAQYAiABEgITDfD_BwE
www.abebooks.co.uk/servlet/BookDetailsPL?bi=30064367522&cm_mmc=ggl-_-UK_Shopp_RareStandard-_-product_id=bi%3A%2030064367522-_-keyword=&gclid=EAIaIQobChMI_baT5rqa6AIVWODtCh0elQqaEAQYASABEgK6X_D_BwE
 Anyone know about first edition books? - Ambo
Interesting thread. I glean that:

-It is not only the edition that counts but also the printing. First edition, first printing is best, other things such as condition being equal.

-Our copy of F. Ansty's "Vice Versa" could be worth £630.
 Anyone know about first edition books? - Crankcase
Having sold books on an amateur basis for years, here are a few things to bear in mind.

The mark up on a book of any value from a book dealer is often three to four times purchase price, more if you can get it. So if you are looking at £600 from a bookseller, it was probably bought at under £200. Therefore, you won't get anything like £600 selling to a dealer.

If you decide to sell it yourself to the public, via Amazon or eBay type things, then at that price you need to be able to talk the talk. Customers expect you to know the terminology for book descriptions, apply them correctly, and be prepared to refund if it doesn't exactly match.

Most of my book sales have been at the bottom end of the market, at sub £20. At that price you can get away with words like "good condition, nice looking copy".

Some of mine have been at about £150 to £200. At that price I try to use "proper descriptions" but make it clear I'm a genial amateur who will refund if I've got it wrong.

Only once did I get out of my depth, paying £700 for a book I thought was worth £1500. I got caught, didn't research properly, and it went to a real auction where it got about £400.

So be a bit careful at the £600 price point is all I'm saying really.
Last edited by: Crankcase on Sun 15 Mar 20 at 11:14
 Anyone know about first edition books? - Ambo
Noted with thanks, although it is signed by the author.
Sometimes that adds value, sometimes not. Depends on how many they signed of course.

Also, you have to be certain it is actually the right signature. The more value a signature adds, obviously, the more likely a previous owner or dealer has picked up a biro.

If you know the provenance, or were there when it was signed, then you are on solid ground. Otherwise, at least try to compare the signature with others you find on the net, if that's possible.
Last edited by: Crankcase on Sun 15 Mar 20 at 11:26
 Anyone know about first edition books? - zippy
>>Mark up on books...

Xmas 2018 my youngest wanted a maths book that cost about £150. I hunted high and low for a good price but there were only a few available.

Ordered one and was sent totally the wrong book, a set of dental surgery books. Looked them up and they were £300 odd.

Phoned the company and told them and was told don't bother returning them, dispose of them as you like (confirmed by email). They did want a photo of the cover.

Anyway, went to a few of these second hand book sites and they all offered £0.01 for them!

Still got them and there hasn't been a new edition. Must get Miss Z to donate them to her hospital library.
Not quite that good, but there's a specific book of which a single copy usually appears for sale somewhere online about once a year. I can usually get it under a tenner.

This is because only hard core fans of this book series know what it is. Even most dealers dont understand its significance.

I get £175 to £200 for it without fail, by putting it under the right noses with the right description.

Like anything, my knowledge is what makes the mark up.

Unfortunately for me, it's about the only title I can consistently do that with!
Last edited by: Crankcase on Sun 15 Mar 20 at 12:04
 Anyone know about first edition books? - R.P.
Been reading up on the "Great Escape" since Christmas, around half a dozen or more books (and the excellent movie) - I bought a second hand book for a bargain price from World of Books, via Amazon - Lie in the Dark and Listen by Wing Commander Ken "Shag" Rees - when it arrived not only was it a first edition but signed by the author and 4 other ex-prisoners from Stalag Luft III....
 Anyone know about first edition books? - R.P.
Also have a one of the so-called first (Publisher's) edition of TE Lawrence's Seven Pillars of Wisdom....
 Anyone know about first edition books? - Zero
Value of books? dust jacket, dust jacket, dust jacket.
Yes, its a bit like boxes for Dinky Toys.
Nearly got caught there once as well. Book advertised with dust jacket as a first. Close examination of photos showed jacket was actually from a later edition. Naughty.
 Anyone know about first edition books? - Slightlyfatdirector
>>>>>Noted with thanks, although it is signed by the author.

I was lucky to meet Terry Pratchet at a 'meet and greet' in Devizes, Wilts a number of years ago.

Lovely chap interested in his readers and happy to spend some time with them.

Out of interest, at the event he joked that the rarest versions of his books were the unsigned ones as he signed so many :)
Latest Forum Posts