Non-motoring > Worth watching on Netflix or Prime Miscellaneous
Thread Author: CGNorwich Replies: 21

Worth watching on Netflix or Prime - CGNorwich
Having resigned up to the above providers and watched every episode of The Crown and nearly all of Peaky Blinders looking for a new series to get stuck into. Don’t mind any genre if it’s good entertainment and not about viruses.

Recommendations welcome
Last edited by: Webmaster on Thu 26 Mar 20 at 19:22
 Worth watching on Netflix or Prime - R.P.
Breaking Bad still on there ...
 Worth watching on Netflix or Prime - zippy
>> Breaking Bad still on there ...
>>

And the El Camino film.

Excellent series and totally recommended. Warning though, there are some very distressing scenes.

BB - without giving any spoilers, Walter White is a totally obnoxious individual.

Dexter might be available somewhere. Never has one wanted a serial killer to succeed so much. Again, warning, there are some extremely distressing scenes.
 Worth watching on Netflix or Prime - Clk Sec
If you're not already following the series, Noughts & Crosses is excellent.
 Worth watching on Netflix or Prime - smokie
I don't usually like American stuff but Homeland was good, especially the earlier series which may still be on Netflix.

Someone recommended The Spy to us but we've not reached it yet (allso Netflix).

Channel 4 has some great foreign (subtitled) drama under a heading Walter Presents. Some of it is available on All 4 (www.channel4.com/collection/walter-presents)

The original (Danish, not the American version) The Bridge was brilliant. It was on BBC4 but isn't currently available in the iPlayer unfortunately.

Worth watching on Netflix or Prime - Zero
I'm getting into mad men, Its an oldie (finished in 2015 - matters not because its set in the 60's-70's) but its a goodie, not as superficial as it sounds, no idea how I missed it first time round. Google it.
Last edited by: Zero on Thu 26 Mar 20 at 11:28
 Worth watching on Netflix or Prime - legacylad
I’m getting into my self isolation ( is it 7 or 14 days since returning from Spain ?) sitting outside on my small patio reading in the sun. This weather won’t last much longer so no rush to crack on with 101 jobs indoors. I think it important to maximise one’s Vitamin D levels.
And the neighbours are avoiding me.
Same old
Last edited by: legacylad on Thu 26 Mar 20 at 11:34
 Worth watching on Netflix or Prime - Zero
14 i understand
 Worth watching on Netflix or Prime - Crankcase
All of Downton Abbey and all of House are on Prime, if you've not seen them years ago.
 Worth watching on Netflix or Prime - Netsur
If you want an old fashioned procedural detective series with some fun, try inspector Montalbano on BBC iPlayer. 34 episodes of a out 100 minutes each spanning 1999 to today. Typically Italian with sexy women, bad continuity and good food.

Also look for the Icelandic scandi-noir trapped, two series. Also sub-titled.
 Worth watching on Netflix or Prime - legacylad
Mt 92yo Mother is quite taken with signore Montalbano.
And his female friends are indeed easy on the eye
 Worth watching on Netflix or Prime - John Boy
I keep a database of things we've watched. These are the ones we've enjoyed. Some feature police, but little in the way of car chases or gangsters. The first in the list is full of surprises and my top recommendation - don't be put off by the first episode. Bonus Family is just about family life. Roma is a film rather than a series - features lots of old American cars.

The End of the F***ing World - All4
River - Netflix
After Life - Netflix
Flesh and Blood - ITVhub
Godless - Netflix (a Western)
Bonus Family - Netflix
Unforgotten - Netflix
Roma - Netflix
 Worth watching on Netflix or Prime - zippy
>>After Life - Netflix

One of the best things on TV for a very long time.

New series out 24th April.

Film wise on Netflix The Death of Stalin is weird and so wrong its very funny.

BTW the bandwidth of Netflix has been reduced significantly. Fibre is still up to full speed here but watching the Crown yesterday was like going back to a poor quality VHS tape.
 Worth watching on Netflix or Prime - smokie
Old fashioned TV aerials wouldn't have suffered like that... :-)

I watched something on Netflix the other night and didn't notice it was that bad. Maybe variable depending on local usage at the time.
 Worth watching on Netflix or Prime - sooty123
> Film wise on Netflix The Death of Stalin is weird and so wrong its very
>> funny.
>>
>>

I watched that about a month ago, I thought it was a clever and funny film. The chap that plays zuhkov (?) is the star of the show for me.

If anyone hasn't seen it, worth watching.
Zippy has it with After Life. Gervais is marmite to me, in this he was pure gold.
 Worth watching on Netflix or Prime - John Boy
He's marmite to me too. We only watched After Life because I heard him being interviewed about it - he thought he'd pulled off something special.
Last edited by: John Boy on Sat 28 Mar 20 at 09:16
I recognised a lot of his anger, resentment and general griefy things. Well played. Glad it's coming back.
 Worth watching on Netflix or Prime - tyrednemotional
tinyurl.com/whatyouwatching
 National Theatre free streaming - smokie
Slight OT but relevant - "The National Theatre is going to stream a free play every Thursday night"

April 2 ‘One Man, Two Guvnors’ by Richard Bean, starring James Corden.

April 9 ‘Jane Eyre’, adapted by Sally Cookson.

April 16 ‘Treasure Island’, adapted by Bryony Lavery.

April 23 ‘Twelfth Night’ by William Shakespeare, starring Tamsin Greig.

From April 2, under the banner of National Theatre at Home, every Thursday (7pm GMT/2pm EST) will see a new National Theatre play released – free to watch for one week – along with bonus content including cast and creative Q&As and post-stream talks.

www.youtube.com/channel/UCUDq1XzCY0NIOYVJvEMQjqw
 National Theatre free streaming - legacylad
I’ve just found out that early evening there are reruns of The Sweeney. I’ll check it out sometime.
 National Theatre free streaming - Duncan
>> Slight OT but relevant - "The National Theatre is going to stream a free play
>> every Thursday night"
>>
>> April 2 ‘One Man, Two Guvnors’ by Richard Bean, starring James Corden.

I can certainly recommend 'One Man, Two Guvnors'. I saw that at the Strand Theatre, I think it was.
Latest Forum Posts