Non-motoring > Contactless Payments. Miscellaneous
Thread Author: R.P. Replies: 11

Contactless Payments. - R.P.
Just picked this up from an e-mail from my bank. The maximum payment on Contactless has gone up from £30.00 to £45.00 - keeps us a little safer
 Contactless Payments. - CGNorwich
If you use ApplePay on your phone there is no limit at most supermarkets
 Contactless Payments. - bathtub tom
I understand it's only some banks (although, doubtless the others will follow) and from April 1st.
 Contactless Payments. - VxFan
>> If you use ApplePay on your phone there is no limit at most supermarkets

Tesco being one of the ones still being draconian. Maybe they do it though to encourage people to use Tesco Pay+ instead, which has a £250 limit.
Last edited by: VxFan on Sat 28 Mar 20 at 21:03
 Contactless Payments. - R.P.
I prefer to use my phone to pay. More likely to go out without my wallet than my phone these days. My Smile doesn't like the card terminal at the local Morrisons fuel station, phone always works.
Yes I was bit sceptical about phone payments at first but once I actually used it decide it was the way to go.
 Contactless Payments. - Bromptonaut
>> My Smile doesn't like the card terminal at the
>> local Morrisons fuel station, phone always works.

Does it give you a message saying 'kiosk only'?

My Santander card does that. Not just the local Morrisons done it at others as far apart as Liverpool and Fort William.
 Contactless Payments. - Crankcase
I tend to use Google pay on the phone. Although Google say there's a £999 limit, I've not yet found anywhere that will take over £30 with it. Google say it's a retailer choice. Maybe it will now go up to £45, if the retailers make the changes.

Not at the minute any type of shops are an option, for us anyway.
Apple pay is by far the dominant player I think even though limited to Apple phones. Their system is seen as more secure than cards hence treated by a lot of merchants the same way as a PIN card. I know Waitrose, John Lewis, Sainsbury’s, Marks Spencer all accept payments over the normal contactless amounts.
 Contactless Payments. - PeterS
And I can add Shell and Esso petrol stations to that list, along with MINI dealers, the COOP and any number of local independent shops. Not that it matters for the time being, but it’s less widely accepted outside the U.K. even if locals can use it. Not sure whether that’s a constraint or the card or network provider; I assume card?
 Contactless Payments. - smokie
Portugal was odd, many supermarkets have wireless but you still have to put in your PIN on the keypad, whatever the amount. I don't know if it's the same for locals.

Most of the seafront bars and restaurants I used are cash only, maybe for "tax reasons" :-) Mind you when two lattes and two decent size cakes come in at less than €4 it's not too painful!
 Contactless Payments. - Bromptonaut
>> Portugal was odd, many supermarkets have wireless but you still have to put in your
>> PIN on the keypad, whatever the amount. I don't know if it's the same for
>> locals.

We found contactless + pin being used in Spain last year.
Latest Forum Posts