Non-motoring > 8D Music Miscellaneous
Thread Author: Bobby Replies: 9

8D Music - Bobby
I was totally unaware of this "new" technology in music till my brother sent me a couple of clips.

Basically, you need to listen to it through headphones and allegedly you listen with your brain as opposed to your ears. Try it and you will see what I mean - I recommend sitting somewhere silent with your eyes shut.

There are various tracks on youtube - just search 8D - some old tracks and some new.

This audio clip actually describes it very well:
youtu.be/8IXm6SuUigI

8D Music - sooty123
I tried a couple of songs, it just sounded a bit 'deeper' or a bit more bass, to me anyway.
 8D Music - Bobby
Did you listen with headphones on? You not find the music was moving around outwith your head almost?

Yeah some of the older music just seems to "move about" round your head. Especially if they are singing. Some of the newer stuff or the classic music is better.
 8D Music - sooty123
>> Did you listen with headphones on? You not find the music was moving around outwith
>> your head almost?
>>
>>

Not particularly it more seemed to go from one ear to the other a bit.
 8D Music - CGNorwich
Yes that's what I thought. Just seemed to move from left ear to right and back again constantly Didn't really add much to the music, in fact slightly distracting I thought.

I'll try a few more tunes tomorrow
 8D Music - No FM2R
Oh that is freaky. And listening to some of the music is quite amazing.

I think it'd end badly if I'd been drinking though. Whatever is the aural version of travel sickness.

Thanks for that, I'd never heard of it before you mentioned it. Though I was looked at pityingly by my daughters who apparently knew all about it. One day I'll learn not to keep trying to impress them with stuff I think is new.
Last edited by: No FM2R on Sat 28 Mar 20 at 19:53
 8D Music - Haywain
I tried it with headphones and it just sounded like someone was rhythmically twiddling the balance knob from side to side on regular stereo.
 8D Music - smokie
The barber shop impressed me a lot but the music less so, for the reasons above. Thanks for the post though, at least I have something other than c-virus to talk about on my next video call with my mates...
 8D Music - No FM2R
It is a lot more than side to side. It involved forward and back and everything in between as well.

Not dissimilar to the impact of first listening to stereo in headphones, all those years ago.

I'm not sure I like it, the feeling was noticeable and somewhat disorienting, but it was a strong effect.

I know it sounds stupid, but did you have your eyes closed? That made quite the difference to me.
 8D Music - Crankcase
This was all over mumsnet yesterday. Most seemed to rave about it, with a few saying, as above, it's just like someone twiddling the balance about.

I tried Bohemian Rhapsody from Youtube (described as 12d).

For me, it just induced rage. For the love of God stop moving the blinking voice about. Pointless and made me feel sick.

It's as if someone said, oh, we've invented spatial sound for the movie industry, which has a point, let's just chuck it at music and see what happens.
Latest Forum Posts