Non-motoring > essential workers???? Miscellaneous
Thread Author: devonite Replies: 8

essential workers???? - devonite
Had my first walk up town to the chemists yesterday, since l/down, surprised to see both the dog-warden and a traffic warden stalking about! since when were these council money-grabbing parasites considered key workers? - - Councils get these creatures off the roads at this time! you greedy b******s!!!!!
 essential workers???? - Bromptonaut
Does Covid stop silly parking or stray dogs?
 essential workers???? - devonite
I'm sure that there is actually folk that park so silly as to cause disruption to other highway users, and need educating with a fine especially in cities for eg, but in rural towns / villages where there are hardly any cars running, what does it really matter if you park outside a shop on double yellows for five minutes? especially in this current climate! - just read on google news about wardens multi-ticketing folk parked outside their own homes , and can't move their cars because of self isolating - just raised my hackles a bit that's all!
 essential workers???? - smokie
Bromps makes a good point but I am with Devonite on the parking - so long as people are sensible (which so often they aren't!!)
 essential workers???? - PeterS
To be fair, the instruction is that if you can’t work from home then you are still allowed to travel to work. And I can see that both those jobs are difficult to do from home ;). There’s (currently) no restriction on working, bar closing a defined list of businesses / activities:

tinyurl.com/tetmch3 (links to assets.publishing.service.gov.uk)

It’s some police forces and councils that are being over zealous interpreting it as only being able to go to ‘essential work’
Last edited by: VxFan on Sun 29 Mar 20 at 20:16
 essential workers???? - Terry
Government and most of the rest of the public sector play by different rules.

For the private sector no customer income means staff go home government pay 80%, I assume the employer pays the rest - 20%.

If the public sector (which has no paying customers as such) have staff (assuming not employed via subcontractor) there are two alternatives:

- employee goes home, govt pays 80%, local authority pays 20%
- employee stays at work, govt pays 100% anyway

essential workers???? - hjd
Private sector employers have the choice to pay the full 100% to furloughed workers or to pay them the 80%.
Last edited by: VxFan on Mon 30 Mar 20 at 15:20
 essential workers???? - Zero
>> Had my first walk up town to the chemists yesterday, since l/down, surprised to see
>> both the dog-warden and a traffic warden stalking about! since when were these council money-grabbing
>> parasites considered key workers? - -

Both now government spies.
 Non-essential construction - still going on - Manatee
The policies generally are not very refined which is no surprise.

Schemes such as the various income and business support measures would normally be consulted on for weeks, bounced around government departments, debated in parliament and enacted months or years after they were initiated. Now they are happening in days and to say they have not been fully thought through is an understatement. Similarly the infection control measures and advice are really being implemented in draft form.

I'm trying to get a house built (currently in planning) and was hopeful that small construction projects would carry on - after all there aren't usually many people working at once on a single house, and surely they don't need to be working on top of each other, right?

Then yesterday I spoke to a relative who works in construction. He tells me it is categorically impossible to do it with proper distancing. Most admin and management can work from home - but the trades are travelling to jobs in the same vehicle (some don't even drive or have their own car), sharing accommodation and facilities on site, and frequently have to get up close to each other when moving around, shifting and lifting, footing ladders and so on. Plant is delivered and loaded by a driver and mate who travel in the same cab. Sites are continuing to operate, ostensibly with distancing but it is a sham and will lead to transmission and some deaths - the only question is how many.

Some employees are understandably not happy with this, are in conflict with management, and others have gone sick rather than put themselves (and their families) at risk.
Last edited by: Manatee on Mon 30 Mar 20 at 10:29
Latest Forum Posts