Non-motoring > A hairy future for us all Miscellaneous
Thread Author: CGNorwich Replies: 26

A hairy future for us all - CGNorwich
Now that barbers and hairdressers are all closed down it is interesting to contemplate how we will all be looking in two or three months. i guess long hair will be making a comeback. all those fancy haircuts will be no more. Are we going to cut our own hair, get our fellow internees to cut it for us or just let in grow? Are we going to cut our wives and partners hair?

A hairy future for us all - bathtub tom
SWMBO had a go at her fringe over the bathroom sink. I'm spitting hair clippings whenever I clean my teeth. Must move toothbrushes further away!
  A hairy future for us all - smokie
... and don't forget the nailbars are closed too!!! :-)
  A hairy future for us all - Bromptonaut
Tempted to try the clipper route before this blew up as I'm tired of hairdressers reluctance to interpret really short on top as an inch or less. Which bit of "I don't care if it stands on end a bit" is that difficult to follow?

When I was younger I could just let it go wild and tight curls kept it in check. As I've got older it's straightened and gone a bit lank.
Last edited by: Bromptonaut on Mon 30 Mar 20 at 14:47
  A hairy future for us all - CGNorwich
Nearly bald myself and fortuitously invested in a some electric clippers a couple of weeks to buzz cut the little I have left.
  A hairy future for us all - VxFan
Haven't visited a barbers for over 20 years now. Bought some electric clippers back in 1999 from QVC the shopping channel (Remington make) for something like £15. They've more than paid for themselves. No.3 all over does me.
  A hairy future for us all - Zero

>> paid for themselves. No.3 all over does me.

I've seen your hair, must be the cheapest horror show in town.
>> I've seen your hair,

Likewise, seen yours too. I'd get a refund from the council if I were you.
  A hairy future for us all - Dog
>>Haven't visited a barbers for over 20 years now.

Same 'ere - I don't cut it though, just sweep it back and tie it up wivvan elasticated thingy.

No, not a pony tail FFS. Like a manbun but more a manknot :)
>> Tempted to try the clipper route before this blew up as I'm tired of hairdressers
>> reluctance to interpret really short on top as an inch or less. Which bit of
>> "I don't care if it stands on end a bit" is that difficult to follow?

I give them number of the clippers to use. You need to be very prescriptive.

No 3 on top, 4 on the sides. Straight back, sideburns to eye level.

And use the Barbers not the Hairdresser, you are not going in for a blue rinse or perm.
  A hairy future for us all - No FM2R
>>as an inch or less.

An inch is quite a difficult length to do with clippers. Looking at my current ones *and* the two retired ones still lying around I reckon just over half an inch would be tops.

However, I've been clipping my own hair for about 25 years. Once you get the hang of it then it is so much more pleasant than the faff of trailing down to a hairdressers and then convincing them to do exactly what you want.

Beard and hair about every 10 days or so keeps it all smart and it's about a 10 minute job if necessary just before going somewhere where double smart is needed.

These days rechargeable ones are best. They used to be a bit wussy and the corded ones noticeably more powerful, but not the modern ones.

Make sure you get them full width, which I suppose is just under 2". Look for one that adjusts lengths more easily than having to keep switching heads/guards.

Keep it clean of hair but only oil it *very* sparingly.

>> These days rechargeable ones are best.

Surely you only need a J cloth and some pledge now?
  A hairy future for us all - No FM2R
So cruel.

On the sides and back I still have as much blond hair as I've ever had. It's the runway over the top which is a trial to me - just enough left to get untidy, not enough left to do anything with other than cut short..

A hairy future for us all - BiggerBadderDave
I hate grey hair. Can't stand it.

Number one all over now, just so I can't see any.
  A hairy future for us all - Robin O'Reliant
>> I hate grey hair. Can't stand it.
>>
>>
>>
I haven't got a grey hair on my head. At 67 years I've still managed to keep a full thatch of my natural "Ice Blond" colour.
  A hairy future for us all - Manatee
>> At 67 years I've still managed
>> to keep a full thatch of my natural "Ice Blond" colour.

Is that quite similar to grey?
  A hairy future for us all - Robin O'Reliant
>>
>>
>> Is that quite similar to grey?
>>

In poor light the less educated might think so.
>> Number one all over now,

I'm resisting the urge to say something smutty ;)
  A hairy future for us all - tyrednemotional
>>I'm resisting the urge to say something smutty ;

....golden shower related....?

(well, at least you can delete if you want ;-) )
  A hairy future for us all - Manatee
Had the first home haircut as I was already looking like a wild man when the restrictions came in. As the boss had a persistent cough, I had a go myself which resulted in my not being seen in public for several days.

She subsequently recovered enough to tidy things up which has more or less worked.
  A hairy future for us all - Runfer D'Hills
About 40 years ago, I had shoulder length hair, which at the time was black. Kept it short since and while it still grows in all the right places ( and some it shouldn't in fairness ) it's now completely grey.

I think I'm just going to let it grow again. For no reason at all other than to see what it ends up looking like. Got to have something to do for the next few weeks eh?
  A hairy future for us all - BiggerBadderDave
"For no reason at all other than to see what it ends up looking like. Got to have something to do for the next few weeks eh?"

I've been toying with the idea of a horseshoe moustache for a couple of years. Partly because nobody has one (I detest that "he has one on the telly so I must have one" mentality. Partly because it would annoy the wife. But mostly cos it goes with the boots.
I guess this was humph back in the day

www.telegraph.co.uk/cars/features/peter-wyngarde-jason-king-bentley-driving-international-man/
Last edited by: Zero on Mon 30 Mar 20 at 17:35
  A hairy future for us all - tyrednemotional
....and in a few weeks time...

i.insider.com/5a8c83d342e1cc57810ba9ee?width=1100&format=jpeg&auto=webp
  A hairy future for us all - Runfer D'Hills
Oh very good !
  A hairy future for us all - smokie
I let mine grow a couple of years back, after I stopped work.

After best part of a year I decided I didn't like it at all so it's back to the clippers for me
  A hairy future for us all - Falkirk Bairn
There will be a lot more grey haired ladies in a few weeks.

and

a few more grey haired men as well!
Latest Forum Posts