Non-motoring > Fraudulent 'phone calls? Miscellaneous
Thread Author: bathtub tom Replies: 5

Fraudulent 'phone calls? - bathtub tom
I'm registered as vulnerable at Sainsbury's. Received a couple of recorded calls (purportedly from Sainsbury's) asking me to press any button to listen to a message - I didn't.
The number that comes up is a genuine Sainsbury's freephone number. Googling this number produces numerous comments from folk as suspicious as me.
I'm aware that scammers can make a call appear to come from any number they like.

I've tried contacting Sainsbury's, but get no reply.

If you know anyone in a similar position, please ask them to be very careful.
 Fraudulent 'phone calls? - Duncan
>> I'm registered as vulnerable at Sainsbury's. Received a couple of recorded calls (purportedly from Sainsbury's)
>> asking me to press any button to listen to a message - I didn't.
>> The number that comes up is a genuine Sainsbury's freephone number.

I had the same thing. The apparent number the call is coming from, is the number I had been ringing a few days before.
 Fraudulent 'phone calls? - smokie
Presumably 0800 328 1700?

Did you press the button and listen to the message Duncan? I think I would have done, in the same circs.
 Fraudulent 'phone calls? - Duncan
No. I hung up, which is my normal practice when I receive any call which I think is a load of testicles. I CBA to engage these people in any chat.
 Fraudulent 'phone calls? - martin aston
It’s easy for scammers to display a valid number. Pressing the button risks being connected to another high cost number.
 Fraudulent 'phone calls? - smokie
Yep I get that but sometimes, if you are desperate, it's worth taking a chance rather than missing out.

I didn't think pressing a number in such a way could initiate a high cost call though. I think often they are looking for a button press just to validate that the phone line is used by a real person, so it can go onto a validated number list for future scamming. (A bit like the Unsubscribe bit on the bottom of some emails, from stuff you've not subscribed to).
Latest Forum Posts